Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Premium

Yes the coal can be easily removed.  So can the coal shoveller, with a little care, to help create more space for a sound installation.

The tender design does not really lend itself to a 28mm round speaker as suggested by Hornby, it is not easy to create a sealed sound chamber from the tender body owing to the large holes around each wheel.  So the simplest fit is to use a speaker with its own sound chamber.  For now I have used a Zimo twin speaker with 3D-printed resonance box, simply stuck to the bottom of the coal load with black-tack.  I'll work out a way to replace this with my preferred 28x40 speaker in due course.

I have cut a hole in the coal compartment floor under where the coal pusher fits: the floor is very thin and easy to cut into.  If I choose to replace the pusher in future it will cover up the hole again.  This hole allows the sound to better exit the tender, and aids fitting.  The set up works well, though I'd like a bit more bass which is why I'll probably fit the bigger speaker later.

Phil

post-25458-0-61299900-1509749181_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ran mine last night, gentle bit of light running. Runs and looks beautiful, lots of envious looks at the club. It is all too easy to be critical of Hornby but considering the state they were in 3/4 years ago many of us were predicting their demise. So when we see beauties like this and the unrebuilt Merchant Navy it is a testament to the determination and belief the team have shown. Now that they have a new CEO and pulled Simon Kohler back into the fold the future hopefully looks even better.

The 'Coronation' is virtually everything one could wish for in this model, now to find a decent sound profile to install....any recommendations?

Edited by 7013
  • Like 3

Ran mine last night, gentle bit of light running. Runs and looks beautiful, lots of envious looks at the club. It is all too easy to be critical of Hornby but considering the state they were in 3/4 years ago many of us were predicting their demise. So when we see beauties like this and the unrebuilt Merchant Navy it is a testament to the determination and belief the team have shown. Now that they have a new CEO and pulled Simon Kohler back into the fold the future hopefully looks even better.

The 'Coronation' is virtually everything one could wish for in this model, now to find a decent sound profile to install....any recommendations?

Take a listen to YouChoos LMS Stanier 2-6-4T sound. It has the deepest exhaust of the Stanier locos in the YouChoos range and of course the correct Stanier hooter. The real 4-cylinder Duchess has four evenly spaced beats, but the YouChoos 2-6-4T, as set up, appears to have its lead chuff accentuated. If so, then you will be able to re-set CV269 to 0 and this should give you an evenly spaced exhaust. Of course, it depends on if the original recording had an even beat to begin with.

http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Shop.php?L1=Sounds

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm...to stripe, or not to stripe, that is the question. ;)

Alex

No not never Caesar!! do not disfigure this beauty..................mines on its way to OZ :senile: YaaaY!!

Mike

Guest Midland Mole

I'm only going to put sound in mine if Charlie Petty gets a chance to record a Duchess, at least then I will know the sound is 100%. :)

Alex

Edit: Also I am probably not going to add a stripe as the finish is so good, I really don't want to mess with it.

Edited by Midland Mole

• RMweb Gold

I'm only going to put sound in mine if Charlie Petty gets a chance to record a Duchess, at least then I will know the sound is 100%. :)

Alex

Edit: Also I am probably not going to add a stripe as the finish is so good, I really don't want to mess with it.

Good.............Mike :jester:

• RMweb Gold

No not never Caesar!! do not disfigure this beauty..................mines on its way to OZ :senile: YaaaY!!

Mike

To be fair Ivatt had already compromised the beauty by cutting the cab sheet in half. It’s a moot point whether the yellow stripe adds or detracts from ‘56’s looks :)

Collected my Sir William yesterday from Waltons Altrincham. Great job Hornby well done. Just ordered a pair of etched Crewe 1947 works plates and it'll be over to Grimytimes for an extremly light weathering with etched works/nameplates and possibly a yellow stripe on the cab sides.

Edited by w4rrn
  • Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

Sorry for another bad picture, but looking at Sir William made me want to line these beauties up. My little homage to pacific locomotives:

post-29937-0-09685500-1509803920_thumb.jpg

Alex

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Interesting recommendation the 2-6-4T, what about the Duchess/ Coronation sound file that you choos do?

Agree about the locoman chips they are the Canine Testicles, but as stated they do not do one.

Sorry for another bad picture, but looking at Sir William made me want to line these beauties up. My little homage to pacific locomotives:

attachicon.gif022.jpg

Alex

Just as well there's no Great Bear in the pic!    :)  

Lovely lineup.

I'm looking forward to receiving my LMS Atholl and illustrating it doing great things as the class did in the mid 1930s.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I don't model the steam era and being honest, have little or no interest in steam trains at all. My dad however was an 'LMS Man' when it came to railway modelling and an old Wrenn City of London is etched in all my memories of him from my childhood. As such, I started reading this thread last night and had a mini pang of regret that such a beautiful looking model (SWS) is sold out on release, as I would have loved to have one sitting in my display cabinet in memory of my Dad. 

Roll on this morning and with a few hours to kill I took myself down to Wrexham for the local swapmeet and model railway show. Whereupon the trader 'Along Classic Lines' who I've happily bought from at many a show, had 2 Sir Williams and 3 Atholls on display. 

So having decided that having just one steam loco would look decidedly out of place, I'm happy to report that I have one of each taking up residence in my display case.

Just hoping this isn't the start of a slippery slope and my D & E fleet isn't about to become redundant :O

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Youtube vid of 6256 with the tender close coupled (massive improvement!) and fitted with Mr Soundguy sound. Those who dislike the flangeless wheel will note that more often than not it doesnt rotate even on what looks like pretty well laid permanent way. 

But it can haul 14 coaches..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxyH1FfaEIo

I have no association with the poster of the video or Mr Soundguy - just someone I follow on YouTube

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

That was a nice video, and the sound was pretty good too. Great seeing it handle 14 Bachmann coaches with ease. :)

Alex

• Like 1

I've looked at the photos posted of Duchess of Atholl with interest.In late 1968 I was asked about my model trains by a semi retired colleague who'd been a senior manager.Hed been clearing his sister's house and a train which had been his father's had been discovered.He would let me have it since he had no interest in it.

Monday morning,I was presented with a box containing an O gauge brass Duchess and Tender with 7 Stanier coaches made by Exley .It was made in 1939 after his dad had seen the real thing on a running in turn at Shrewsbury.The New Duchess of Atholl looks very close to the Loco I owned.Sadly finances meant Duchess of Buccluech had to be sold some years later.

A photo of a Similar one appeared in a Model Railway Constructor Annual about 1985

I'm tempted but money is limited alas.......