RMweb

Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

I have not tested my Hornby Dublo Duchess of Montrose for pulling power but Hornby Dublo tested all their locomotives with six coaches or 12 goods wagons before they were released for sale. Both Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang coaches had a lot of rolling resistance and that was close to the maximum load. After Tri-ang, Wrenn and other firms introduced pin point bearings on the coaches the maximum load increased.

I tested my Wrenn City of Liverpool, my Hornby City of Bristol and my Hornby Duchess of Atholl on our test track with a minimum radius of 3 foot at Godlingston Manor in Swanage and they could all easily pull a train of 10 Hornby Stanier coaches. Before Hornby started using tender drive their locomotives could only pull about four coaches on nickel silver track but with magnadhesion this rose to over 10 coaches on steel track. Hornby first made the streamlined Coronation with locomotive drive but their conventional Duchess locomotives began with the more powerful tender drive. The streamlined version's tender had a Wrenn metal chassis so it was more powerful than the other tender driven steam locomotives.

Thanks for the photo Robin.

How does the BR green on the new Duchess of Montrose compare to other recent releases from Hornby. If it's like the green on R3468 Rebuilt 603 Squadron, which I have and look ok, or more like the awful Kings?

I would have thought City of Birmingham is the one to compare with,  none in stock of  Montrose on Hornbys  website  only seen

that Kernows  were supplied any before they sold out,  any other retailers receive any.

Edited by paul 27

• RMweb Premium

I would have thought City of Birmingham is the one to compare with,  none in stock  on Hornbys  website  only seen Kernows  were supplied any before they sold out.

But I don’t have that. My interest is to know whether Hornby is using an improved BR green compared to other recent models. In my opinion the Bulleid 603 Squadron is the best of the recent releases so a close match with that would be great. Sorry, but I don’t care whether it matches City of Birmingham or not.

But I don’t have that. My interest is to know whether Hornby is using an improved BR green compared to other recent models. In my opinion the Bulleid 603 Squadron is the best of the recent releases so a close match with that would be great. Sorry, but I don’t care whether it matches City of Birmingham or not.

I was comparing City of Birmingham as this is a recent model and strange you say your not interested in it, this is a greatly

improved shade of green as reviewed on here cannot fault it should be the same if your looking to purchase it.

Edited by paul 27

• RMweb Premium

I was comparing City of Birmingham as this is a recent model and strange you say your not interested in it, this is a greatly

improved shade of green as reviewed on here cannot fault it should be the same if your looking to purchase it.

I’m fussy. I can only justify one and I much prefer the curved rather than stepped footplate, and I don’t want TTS.

A couple of comments/questions:

The old Hornby Dublo Duchess models were, for heir time, pretty accurate models. The final casting as seen for example in the 2-rail City of London was improved and carried on by Wrenn and certainly was the yardstick until the recent Hornby models - what do other people think please?

Are there any differences between the first run and second run SWS models please?

Many thanks!

• Like 1

The numbers are a bit funny to remove (the outer edges do not like to shift), but here is 6220. I feel that this new tooling captures the face and proportions of the loco so much better than the old model.

post-16674-0-62671800-1548027486_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

• Like 4

6229 in blue would have been more unusual :onthequiet:

I agree, but it wouldn’t fit with my layout plans. Besides, I already have 46229 in Maroon and loco duplication isn’t as cheap as it used to be (looks at my four versions of Green Arrow). Now what I would be interested in seeing is Hamilton as 6220 in the states with the headlamp. Surely someone will do it?

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

The numbers are a bit funny to remove (the outer edges do not like to shift), but here is 6220. I feel that this new tooling captures the face and proportions of the loco so much better than the old model.

attachicon.gif54829E86-6567-4EBD-A3CB-064179DF50E5.jpeg

Cheers,

Careful, or you'll have me making a third attempt to buy one of these with no faults!  

Does look better with the larger wheels.

Here is my recently-purchased 46232 'Duchess of Montrose', an interesting comparison to my childhood 3-rail version. Sold by Kernow about 10 days ago and delivered to my door in NZ 4 days ago..

I cannot really comment on the depth of the green beyond saying it looks fine in normal room lighting, this below with a tungsten 40w reading lamp as well as daylight.

post-7929-0-40304900-1548121872_thumb.jpg

or pure daylight

post-7929-0-62745200-1548141785_thumb.jpg

Everyone who has owned a Hornby Dublo three-rail version will need one these. :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

Careful, or you'll have me making a third attempt to buy one of these with no faults!  

Does look better with the larger wheels.

I’ll not post the photo of it with Silver Link then ;)

It’s interesting making a comparison between the two. Somehow the Duchess looks just as sleek despite it’s more ‘basic’ shape of casing.

Cheers,

• Like 1

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37356/Hornby-r3642-oo-gauge-duchess-of-montrose-br-green-princess-coronation-class-4-6-2-locomotive-no-46232

My pre-order is now being processed on the latest Princess Coronation, taking me up to 7 of the 8 released of the non-streamlined offers, and I’d initially thought it was an issue with the photo angle in Rob’s post above - but the link also intimates the printing of the cabside lining below the Fireman’s side window isn’t square to the apertures / rivet detail?

I’ll need to look at mine more closely when it lands.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37356/Hornby-r3642-oo-gauge-duchess-of-montrose-br-green-princess-coronation-class-4-6-2-locomotive-no-46232

My pre-order is now being processed on the latest Princess Coronation, taking me up to 7 of the 8 released of the non-streamlined offers, and I’d initially thought it was an issue with the photo angle in Rob’s post above - but the link also intimates the printing of the cabside lining below the Fireman’s side window isn’t square to the apertures / rivet detail?

I’ll need to look at mine more closely when it lands.

Ian

Mmmmmmm. The optimist in me says its a trick of the camera on Robs photo but the Rails one does seem the same. Holding a straight edge against the Rails photo's the lining on the tender is at the same alignment as the the cab on the drivers side but is indeed slightly out on the firemans. 

• Like 1

In the Daily Telegraph today it says that a model of LMS 6230 Duchess of Buccleigh is expected to be sold for £183,000 at an auction on 12 March. This would make it the most expensive model engine in the world. I wonder if it is the same engine as the 7 1/4" gauge model that was sold at Dreweates in 2012 for £140,000. If you watched Queen Victoria on television you would know how to pronounce Buccleigh.

The Hornby models seem excellent value for money in comparison.

Edited by Robin Brasher

In the Daily Telegraph today it says that a model of LMS 6230 Duchess of Buccleigh is expected to be sold for £183,000 at an auction on 12 March. This would make it the most expensive model engine in the world. I wonder if it is the same engine as the 7 1/4" gauge model that was sold at Dreweates in 2012 for £140,000. If you watched Queen Victoria on television you would know how to pronounce Buccleigh.

There’s two of them amazingly - both built in the 70’s and are pretty much scaled down versions of the real thing, down to the lubrication, copper firebox, riveted boiler etc (but I don’t think either have ever steamed). They were both owned by the same chap who passed away in 2010 (not the original builder). It’s taken this long for the second to go to auction for some reason.

Cheers,

There is no comparison!

• RMweb Gold

Just received my Montrose absolutely beautiful model runs like a dream on the rolling road, BUT that stupid little plastic lug that is supposed to hold the body on to the chassis was in the bottom of the box and when i took the model from the packaging the front end just hung in mid-air, without going through 86 posts , did anyone find a solution to this issue......glue won't work and I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning the loco to the UK. Hattons have offered to replace it but I think I'sley that you and and your team have to re-think this aspect of the design of this model, it isn't robust enough for its purpose. I have SWS which at present if fine but I hate to think what might occur when I have to take the body on the occasions it needs to be serviced.I am in the market for every Duchess and Princess you produce(post 1955)please do do something about what is otherwise a superb RTR model.

MIKE

• Friendly/supportive 1