Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

As with so many prima donnas - far too much money spent on cosmetics !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This Duchess would appear to be all fur coat and no knickers.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Hamilton's restoration was only cosmetic anyway. It would need a complete rebuild before it could run.

It would be nice to open the doors & see the smokebox door inside though.

I agree to a point about static exhibits, but there are plenty of steam locos in service.

It looks like this under the cladding.. (not my pic)

LMS 46229 'Duchess of Hamilton' @ Tyseley 26-10-2008

As regards cost, didnt Steam Railway Mag raise the funds, and I understood the steel was an issue getting the right gauge, which was subsequently sourced and donated by that source.

Now that that Eastern lot will have the P2 2007 into steam in a couple of years, (quite apart from the myriad A4's) it would be nice for 'us Westerners' to have a big streamlined chappie in steam as well ...

Pity.

Still looks very impressive.

Aal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

It looks like this under the cladding.. (not my pic)

LMS 46229 'Duchess of Hamilton' @ Tyseley 26-10-2008

As regards cost, didnt Steam Railway Mag raise the funds, and I understood the steel was an issue getting the right gauge, which was subsequently sourced and donated by that source.

Correct, the streamlining was a Steam Railway Appeal engine, and the rest from the Friends of the NRM.

Paul. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Now that that Eastern lot will have the P2 2007 into steam in a couple of years, (quite apart from the myriad A4's) it would be nice for 'us Westerners' to have a big streamlined chappie in steam as well ...

Pity.

Aal.

You are joking right? No one wants to see those monstrosities return surely. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Careful there.That’s a subjective aesthetic opinion.They were cutting-edge machines in both engineering and design when first built.Monstrosities ? Maybe later.....but not then.Nostalgia quickens the pulse.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Pity.

Aal.

Would you care too explain yourself sir, regarding the photo thingy under your name? As one of those "westerners" I can hardly catch my breath! Shame on you.

Don't know what you mean ....   :rolleyes:

I had had a Patriot for a while ... it changes from time-to-time.

Al.

PS  The fact I actually have internet connectivity where I am now is miraculous!!  I'm on a mine in Africa!

Edited by atom3624

2 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I think it would be fantastic to see a newbuilt LMS streamliner take on PoW / Tornado et al ... 21st century steam record up for grabs I reckon.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I think it would be fantastic to see a newbuilt LMS streamliner take on PoW / Tornado et al ... 21st century steam record up for grabs I reckon.

Al.

I do reckon that 114mph wasn't the true maximum of the Duchesses/princess coronations  especially once fitted with double chimney, a better route would have given them a chance. I know a lot is said about mallards' run being inhibited by a PW restriction, and more could be achieved, but the Duchesses could have given an even better account of themselves on that route for sure, whether 126 could have been done, well that's the beauty of it not being achieved, it's gives us all chance to debate the "what-ifs" . 

• Like 2

What-ifs are wonderful ...

There's always that WW II 'thing' which 'ruined the railways' with those French and German streamliners 'capable of more' .... and good ol' US of A with it's weird steam contraptions with even bigger drivers which 'could have gone way over 126 mph had it not been for modernisation and the coming of the diesels ....

From 'our perspective' to see ECML vs WCML even 'in fun' under controlled conditions and preservation would be fantastic.

Imagine a Mallard and Coronation re-run ....

OK, perhaps not, but it would be nice to see.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Don't know what you mean ....   :rolleyes:

I had had a Patriot for a while ... it changes from time-to-time.

Al.

PS  The fact I actually have internet connectivity where I am now is miraculous!!  I'm on a mine in Africa!

That's a better piccy. I take back all I have been saying about you.

• Funny 1

Just the thing to inspire me to make more pictures of LMS Pacifics.  I had a week of A3s and although they are undoubtedly and inarguable the finest work of art EVER, one must have balance....

None of this heavy complicated front-end stuff..

60046_ECML_A3_at_Work_1961_3abc_r1500.jpg.561d7b446b5775ec0e799e097e15570c.jpg

on the other hand...

6241_Duchess_portrait20_3abcd_r1500.jpg.3c0c4277189c0b154a5ae49b1f895d13.jpg

I think 126mph was cruel regardless.   115mph is fine.  Chapelon thought 7'3" needed for 125mph.

7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Sorry, definitely a matter of opinion & not one I share.

Here's a nice little Camden engine to be going on with then...  :)

6231_duchess_portrait61_shed_5abcde_r1500.jpg.868ae7e8362d5153674947a4fca360d1.jpg

Even with a single chimney, very imposing.   Based on a b+w picture from a google search unsure of the photographer, acknowledgements to him.

This is pretty much the Hornby version unadulterated. What a fine 00 RTR achievement!

Cheers 

• Like 4

I used to love Duchess of Sutherland when she was at Bressingham Steam Gardens, near Diss in Norfolk - in the 70's - I was a teenager, and a Jubliee was there, Royal Scot (as she should be in gold-lined Crimson Lake) and Ollie ...

DoS had no blinkers, in lined Crimson Lake LMS livery, with the DOUBLE chimney - looked superb!!

Single is too 'dainty'.

Al.

2 hours ago, atom3624 said:

I used to love Duchess of Sutherland when she was at Bressingham Steam Gardens, near Diss in Norfolk - in the 70's - I was a teenager, and a Jubliee was there, Royal Scot (as she should be in gold-lined Crimson Lake) and Ollie ...

DoS had no blinkers, in lined Crimson Lake LMS livery, with the DOUBLE chimney - looked superb!!

Single is too 'dainty'.

Al.

I never remember a Jubilee at Bressingham & I am fairly sure none ever visited.

Royal Scot is a rebuilt Royal Scot, not a Jubilee. A few Scots were rebuilt in late LMS days (6115 was & it carried 1946 black) but this one was rebuilt as a BR loco so historically it is inaccurate in any LMS livery.

A shame because I think Crimson Lake really suited it.

The only rebuilt Scot to carry Crimson Lake was 6170 British Legion, which was a rebuild of 6399 Fury, about 10 years before the other Scots & therefore had a few differences.

DoS was also a bit pink at Bressingham. They apparently matched the paint with a sample taken after it had been standing near the sea in Ayr for 10 years.

Well, rebuilt Scots and Jubilees are fine engines, but back to my blue Princess Coronation, the front details are on, and it's all looking good...

robbies_queen_elizabeth_front_detail_5_28jul2019a.jpg.7f63394a2e737828d94261ae5313bc45.jpg

robbies_queen_elizabeth_front_detail_4_28jul2019a.jpg.647d36ab82c44b780b3389d0676bc7a5.jpg

Next I shall have to think of new ways to photograph her!  Oh the burdens!  :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I never remember a Jubilee at Bressingham & I am fairly sure none ever visited.

Royal Scot is a rebuilt Royal Scot, not a Jubilee. A few Scots were rebuilt in late LMS days (6115 was & it carried 1946 black) but this one was rebuilt as a BR loco so historically it is inaccurate in any LMS livery.

A shame because I think Crimson Lake really suited it.

The only rebuilt Scot to carry Crimson Lake was 6170 British Legion, which was a rebuild of 6399 Fury, about 10 years before the other Scots & therefore had a few differences.

DoS was also a bit pink at Bressingham. They apparently matched the paint with a sample taken after it had been standing near the sea in Ayr for 10 years.

Good information and corresponds with much I've read since.

I am 100% certain I encountered a Jubilee there, unfortunately I cannot find any record ...

I am thinking it may have been 5690 Leander.

Can anyone with firm records please confirm?

It wasn't exactly a place locomotives could 'visit' then part again - had to be transported onto site.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Good information and corresponds with much I've read since.

I am 100% certain I encountered a Jubilee there, unfortunately I cannot find any record ...

I am thinking it may have been 5690 Leander.

Can anyone with firm records please confirm?

It wasn't exactly a place locomotives could 'visit' then part again - had to be transported onto site.

Al.

I am 100% certain none of the preserved Jubilees have ever been to Bressingham

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I am 100% certain none of the preserved Jubilees have ever been to Bressingham

That would accord with my recollections, and more recent research.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have asked Bressingham for their assistance.

Should they respond, I will present their comments.

There was definitely an LMS Crimson Lake Jubilee at Bressingham - I remember - a teenager at the time - how dainty it appeared alongside the stocky 6100 Royal Scot and solid-looking 6233 DoS.

Al.

21 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I have asked Bressingham for their assistance.

Should they respond, I will present their comments.

There was definitely an LMS Crimson Lake Jubilee at Bressingham - I remember - a teenager at the time - how dainty it appeared alongside the stocky 6100 Royal Scot and solid-looking 6233 DoS.

Al.

The Stanier 3-cylinder 2-6-4 No.2500 was there in the 1970's, but in LMS black. I've crudely had a look on google, searching LMS Bressingham, but only the Duchess, Scot and 2500 come up, that's not to say anything else didn't though. 

Hornby offered their LMS 'Black Five' in lined red in the 1970's/early 80's, that was not in relation to one of the preserved 'black fives' being painted that colour was it?

Cheers, Paul.