Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

Part 3 of the saga, does she look ok running?

https://youtu.be/5MwflmFultM

Not sure any of us can answer this - are you happy with it?

Personally I’d get rid of it now because the wobbling wheels and clicking crosshead aint going to get better. Clearly not everything with this model is lined up and I’d worry that eventually it will mangle its rods - especially given the relatively tight curves you are using.

Proper winged ones at that, which was a nice surprise! Very much looking forward to getting them fitted!

Cheers

J

Indeed, I do, and apologise for my error in expecting lamp brackets. I note the front steps are to be fitted by the buyer too.

I hope the serious modellers among us won't mind if I show 'my' 6221 Coronation in blue, where partly because of my limited hand skills I edit photos to make what is to me a nice picture of a mostly good model.

I used photos of the real thing as a guide to very modest weathering. I painted over the bright white wheel centres and rims with a wash of blue-grey, and added a few details here and there, but to my mind and eye this is still the Hornby model. It's something of how I would make it look, or indeed may actually make it look when I have been brave enough to do the weathering.

With Hornby's January 7 announcement just a couple of days away I am all a-tither! 

post-7929-0-01463000-1546711223_thumb.jpg

cheers

will remove photo if asked

• Like 5

Glad to see the new announcement there doing Duchess of Montrose but in the  BR 50s livery,  hence no speedo cable

is this an easy fix to fit one,  would like to change to later livery what are the best transfers to use, I suppose this is a

different tender to that fitted to City of Birmingham being an ex streamliner.

I was pleased to see Duchess of Montrose until I thought I might have to buy a rake of crimson and cream Stanier coaches to go with it. It was the first Duchess to receive the cycling lion emblem in November 1951 which it retained until March 1959. As this was a few years after British Railways reverted to crimson for its coaching stock I should be able to run Duchess of Montrose with crimson coaches. Hornby Dublo continued to produce Duchess of Montrose with a cycling lion emblem after the locomotive was scrapped in December 1962 but their Duchess of Montrose train sets included crimson coaches as soon as they produced them.

• Like 1

Glad to see the new announcement there doing Duchess of Montrose but in the  BR 50s livery,  hence no speedo cable

is this an easy fix to fit one,  would like to change to later livery what are the best transfers to use, I suppose this is a

different tender to that fitted to City of Birmingham being an ex streamliner.

Transfers - either Fox or Modelmaster depending on preference. They are both good.

Whilst some Duchesses changed their tenders 46232 had the same tender all it's life. No 9750 which was a non streamlined type.

Jason

I was pleased to see Duchess of Montrose until I thought I might have to buy a rake of crimson and cream Stanier coaches to go with it. It was the first Duchess to receive the cycling lion emblem in November 1951 which it retained until March 1959. As this was a few years after British Railways reverted to crimson for its coaching stock I should be able to run Duchess of Montrose with crimson coaches. Hornby Dublo continued to produce Duchess of Montrose with a cycling lion emblem after the locomotive was scrapped in December 1962 but their Duchess of Montrose train sets included crimson coaches as soon as they produced them.

I recently looked through some old Hornby Dublo catalogues, and (which I didn't remember) they produced a 3 rail version of the 2 rail City of London named City of Liverpool, also in maroon. Presumably the new body casting replaced Duchess of Montrose, which wasn't then updated with the late tender emblem etc. 

Nice that Hornby are now doing their duchess as Duchess of Montrose. (Will it be glossy?)

• RMweb Premium

Am I missing something, but I was surprised that the printed instructions don’t say anything about how to change the front pony truck and under what conditions to use it. You’re obviously expected to work it out for yourself. That seems rather an omission.

I recently looked through some old Hornby Dublo catalogues, and (which I didn't remember) they produced a 3 rail version of the 2 rail City of London named City of Liverpool, also in maroon. Presumably the new body casting replaced Duchess of Montrose, which wasn't then updated with the late tender emblem etc. 

Nice that Hornby are now doing their duchess as Duchess of Montrose. (Will it be glossy?)

City of Liverpool in maroon came out in November 1961 to replace Duchess of Montrose and the City also had a new motor which would not fit inside the Duchess body.

I don't think that the Hornby Duchess will be glossy. The Hornby Dublo Duchess looked splendid in gloss green but it reverted to matt green after a few years. I don't think the Hornby locos look right in a gloss finish. I have a gloss Tri-ang Hornby L1 and M7 and they look like they are made of china.

City of Liverpool in maroon came out in November 1961 to replace Duchess of Montrose and the City also had a new motor which would not fit inside the Duchess body.

I don't think that the Hornby Duchess will be glossy. The Hornby Dublo Duchess looked splendid in gloss green but it reverted to matt green after a few years. I don't think the Hornby locos look right in a gloss finish. I have a gloss Tri-ang Hornby L1 and M7 and they look like they are made of china.

The NRM/Locomotion BR red 46229 Duchess Of Hamilton was gloss.

Jason

Nice to see Duchess of Montrose in shops already, well, Kernow at least, so far...

shades of 1950s 3-rail versions    lovely.  And 'Anzac' Britannia to follow.  Who could not be impressed?  

And if I'm not mistaken, perfect for renumbering as Duchess of Sutherland as in BR condition/preserved (ignoring cut down cab/boiler fittings and modified tender).

repeat to self: 'I do not need another BR Green Duchess, and will wait for 6233 in LMS condition....'

• Like 1

Just ordered Duchess of Montrose from Kernow. Only one left and 1p cheaper than Hattons when it arrives. I think that this will be a best seller and I am looking forward to testing it against my Hornby Dublo Duchess of Montrose.

They had at least one on their small in Stevenage today. Depending on how they run stock at shoes, the database may understate if they take items out of the stock when they go to a show. You might tell if the stock level goes back up tomorrow.

David

46256 Sir William A.Stanier F.R.S. is currently in the Model Railways Direct sale at £143.45 - down from £204.99 - they have thirty nine left in stock. Sale ends at midnight on Monday 14th Jan.

Cheapest on ebay £175.00!

Edited by Bulleidboy100

• RMweb Gold

And if I'm not mistaken, perfect for renumbering as Duchess of Sutherland as in BR condition/preserved (ignoring cut down cab/boiler fittings and modified tender).

repeat to self: 'I do not need another BR Green Duchess, and will wait for 6233 in LMS condition....'

Plus the AWS (battery box for righthand side) and the bang plate the most obvious visual queues plus a speedo cable required.

Plus the AWS (battery box for righthand side) and the bang plate the most obvious visual queues plus a speedo cable required.

True, I hadn't registered that it was early emblem! (or am so used to seeing 46223 in early BR Green that the AWS and speedo issue didn't register).

Less tempting for me then. Especially given the price of spare wheels these days from Hornby (over £25; they used to be £10-15 which was justifiable as a means of changing to speedo fitted...)

They had at least one on their small in Stevenage today. Depending on how they run stock at shoes, the database may understate if they take items out of the stock when they go to a show. You might tell if the stock level goes back up tomorrow.

David

While stock might vary if they use sales stock for shows I think this will be a big seller.

I bought one 2 days ago when stock level was 5. It is now 1.  When I bought mine it would have been close to their full stock at the time. Deliveries to various retailers seem to vary enormously these days. Not sure why.

I must say i’m very happy with my two Coronations - the only fault i’ve had with them was 46229’s combination lever was fitted backwards, so I just bent it into shape. 6221 is seen here with the larger diameter bogie wheels fitted and the supplied detailing fitted also. The cylinder drains are currently not fitted as they would get damaged during renaming. Plates etc for 6220 are on the way. My apologies for workbench shots as the layout is still a way off at present.

post-16674-0-71829400-1547499846_thumb.jpeg

post-16674-0-64250900-1547499868_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

• Like 2