Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• RMweb Gold

Sure I’ve read somewhere that occasionally they ventured into the southwest under lms days but I can’t find where I read it.

i really do want the unstreamed line black lms version but given I model the south western region I’m  really still just about holding off. Maybe I should use rule 1, it’s my layout and just get one because I like them.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

Sure I’ve read somewhere that occasionally they ventured into the southwest under lms days but I can’t find where I read it.

i really do want the unstreamed line black lms version but given I model the south western region I’m  really still just about holding off. Maybe I should use rule 1, it’s my layout and just get one because I like them.

46236 during the locomotive exchanges in 1948 - easy renumber of the current 6241 and need the tender lettering ‘British Railways’. Or as you say, rule 1 :)

• Agree 1

On 05/02/2019 at 00:36, paul 27 said:

Any one had any problems with there Montrose.

With the versions of Duchess produced recently a few have had issues with valve gear and some of the bath tub versions have missing handrails from the front but mostly they seem pretty good.

If your engine stalls on points you might want to check the pickups on the wheels, if it isn't that and no other engines stall on your points then it maybe that there is something else wrong, and you might contact the retailer and say what the fault is. And go from there.

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, robmcg said:

I see on the Hornby site that both planned red bathtubs 6229 and 6244 have arrived...  

I wonder if they all have front handrails?  :)

Indeed I noticed that just this morning! Expecting an invoice for them very soon, I'll let you know about the handrails once they've arrived and all been tested! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have just ordered R3677 'Duchess of Hamilton' from Kernow. It has now arrived at Hattons and Rails so I could have saved £4 postage if I had been more patient and ordered from Rails. I don't think it looks as much like an upturned bath tub as the original Hornby R871'King George Vl' in gloss crimson lake.

I was thinking of continuing with my R072 'City of London' that I bought in 1986 for £19.50 but the new model does look better. In the 1970s I remember admiring an LMS streamlined Pacific locomotive in the shop window of Hamblings in London that seemed very expensive. It may have been a completed brass kit.

On receipt of the model I will be able to compare their performances at the Godlingston Trials at Swanage

Edited by Robin Brasher
Updated post
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Looks like 6229 is as 'in service' as not 'as preserved' (as advertised by some retailers) given it has a single chimney.

The machine gun ports for the top handrials seem to be unchanged as per the blue version.

It certainly has some nostalgic value like this although I am not sure how long it ran in this condition.

New in September 1938 & I believe it may have run in works grey for a while (I have never seen a model in works grey. That would be an interesting re-paint).

Disguised as 6220 Coronation but in Crimson Lake in February 1939, when it was also fitted with a bell then shipped off to the USA. It had gone before any newer streamliners had been built.

It got a double chimney very soon after it returned in April 1943, possibly even before re-entering service. At least it stayed in red until the end of 1944, if you still could find the paint under the dirt by then.

• Informative/Useful 1

Got my Crimson Bathtub yesterday.  While it was upside down, so I could unscrew the tender top to fit a DCC decoder, I noticed a thick block of white plastic foam under the leading bogie.  I'd done some exercise laps of the roundy layout before getting the screwdriver out and it didn't seem to hamper the loco on the curves (2nd/3rd rad).  Leave in situ or discard?

I ran in my 'Duchess of Hamilton' for an hour yesterday and it ran very smoothly.  It does not say that it is 'as preserved' on the box but the entry of 'Railway Museum' in the catalogue and the statement that it is produced under licence for SCMG Enterprises Ltd and that every purchase supports the museum does suggest that it is 'as preserved'. Also several model shops have advertised it 'as preserved'.  When I opened the box the first thing I noticed was that it had a single chimney unlike my tender driven 'City of Bristol.'  I also thought that the shade of crimson lake was darker than the shade used on 'City of Bristol'. I thought that 'City of Bristol' was the same colour as 'Duchess of Hamilton' in the York Railway Museum. The enclosed pictures of the Hornby model and the prototype at York shows how they compare. Later today I will see how the model performs with a rake of crimson lake Coronation Scot coaches.

003.JPG

047.JPG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

It does not say that it is 'as preserved' on the box but the entry of 'Railway Museum' in the catalogue and the statement that it is produced under licence for SCMG Enterprises Ltd and that every purchase supports the museum does suggest that it is 'as preserved'. Also several model shops have advertised it 'as preserved'.  When I opened the box the first thing I noticed was that it had a single chimney unlike my tender driven 'City of Bristol.'  I also thought that the shade of crimson lake was darker than the shade used on 'City of Bristol'. I thought that 'City of Bristol' was the same colour as 'Duchess of Hamilton' in the York Railway Museum. The enclosed pictures of the Hornby model and the prototype at York shows how they compare. Later today I will see how the model performs with a rake of crimson lake Coronation Scot coaches.

Hamilton is in York's Great Hall, which is basically dark with a bright skylight. It is therefore difficult to compare its colour with a model.

As for chimneys, 6220-6234 had a single chimney from new. 6234 Duchess of Abercorn soon got a double for some testing when it was a few months old. This was such a success that every following member of the class, starting with 6235 City of Birmingham (the first 'City'), was built with a double chimney. 6220-6233 were then fitted with a double when they received works attention, 6220 being the last of the class to receive the modification.

6225-6229 got their double chimneys while painted red.

6221-6224 got their double chimneys while painted blue.

6221 was the only one of the blue 5 to receive red livery. It got its double chimney first.

6220 was painted in plain black livery before getting its double chimney. I find this odd because double chimneys seemed to be so successful they added them as quickly as possible, yet they painted it black a few months earlier. It is therefore the only streamliner which ran in wartime black with a single chimney.

The above is what I have found from various sources. These changes were 70-80 years ago so records may not have been 100% accurate.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

I too received my Duchess yesterday – totally un expected as a delivery from the UK usually takes 2 weeks – so hats off to Hattons and the mail service for a delivery of 7 days to Australia.

Having watched on with interest the earlier post re the hand rails I was very careful when I open the box up. One handrail on the smoke box had come lose and was sitting on the base of the plastic packing.

No problem and I was able to re fit it  - not a real easy job mind you. And they are not present on the real thing in York.

Also I had the plastic foam over the front bogie which I removed.

I`m still running the loco however so far I`m very happy with my example.

Edited by Rshakes3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having run in my 'Duchess of Hamilton' I was able to compare it with my tender driven 'City of Bristol'. They each hauled a rake of five Coronation Scot coaches which were well within the haulage capacity of both locomotives.

'Duchess of Hamilton' has crisper detail, is the correct length, has glazed windows and more realistic valve gear and coupling rods than 'City of Bristol'.  Neither are the correct shade for BR Crimson Lake from the specimen colour samples for the modeller in 'Southern Style After Nationalisation, 1948 - 1964 published by the Historical Model Railway Society. 'Duchess of Hamilton' seems to be closer to claret used by West Coast Railways locomotives than LMS Crimson Lake which is the same as BR Crimson Lake.  'City of Bristol' is lighter than the paint sample which looks correct as models appear darker than the prototype if they are painted the same colour. 'City of Bristol' was also supplied with a crew.

'Duchess of Hamilton' is a more sophisticated model than 'City of Bristol' but at a discounted price of £170.99 I am not sure if it represents such good value for money. I bought 'City of Bristol' at a discounted price of £19.95 in 1986. It has given excellent service over the last 32 years at an average cost of 62p per year.

005.JPG

006.JPG

• Like 2

Those wheels with the fake chrome around the rims look hideous. The Crimson Lake locos should have just had Black wheels from the factory. Easy fix at least. 

I hope Hornby make the speed indicator a spare part for sale, I've got photos of Duchesses with them still attached in the late 40s.

5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Do Hornby even know what spares are anymore?

Not sure if the economics of the industry allow for such luxuries any more. 

I think the white wheel rims and hubs a bit strong but they are what people see at York, and I think happened once or twice on some engines when new? It's still an impressive model.