Tinner's Forge

• RMweb Premium

One the reasons for using electromagnetic uncouplers was to allow other types of couplings to be used.

I'm thinking about converting a set of early BR wagons to use Sprat & Winkles.

Try DGs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The next outing for the layout is Sat 23rd June in Crantock, a village just outside Newquay, south of the Gannel, near Poly Joke beach.

The model of the cottage is still AWOL, the long wooden building is actually too big for the plot, the model of the small shed opposite Redruth Station is also hiding, so a new, freelance shed will be made today.

I'll use card & Scalescenes paper for this, to compliment the construction of the forge.

Photos later.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

The next outing for the layout is Sat 23rd June in Crantock, a village just outside Newquay, south of the Gannel, near Polly Joke beach.

The model of the cottage is still AWOL, the long wooden building is actually too big for the plot, the model of the small shed opposite Redruth Station is also hiding, so a new, freelance shed will be made today.

I'll use card & Scalescenes paper for this, to compliment the construction of the forge.

Photos later.

And people chuckle at me with the Sheep series.........Polly Joke...!!???

• RMweb Gold

The shed is made from mount board.

I've started to strip the top layer of paper off, to give a rough, rendered surface to the main walls. The side extension is of wood construction, so I've scored the card vertically.

post-7025-0-50206900-1528892970_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-25560300-1528892979_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-34712000-1528892986_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A bit of paint has been slapped on, a base coat each for the main shell and the side shed, plus some basic weathering.

I've also prepared the ground to slot the building in.

post-7025-0-01195100-1528918242_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-57070200-1528918269_thumb.jpg

I've also found a small lineside hut which just fits.

post-7025-0-72233000-1528918346_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Stu the main building and shed are taking shape nicely its amazing what some paint and weathering can do. I like the little lineside hut you have found. Looking forward to seeing more.:)

Nice little layout! I can emphasise with the problems with the 08 hitting the Platform, I had the same issue on a layout, suffice to say that an 08 is now on of the test loco for all of my layout. Good luck with the next show

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.

No more work has been done, so this week I have to finish and plant the shed and re-make the ground around it.

I'd also like to paint the backscene, just some low level background hills, plus plant a tree to the immediate left of the forge to help hide the shadows.

Then the lineside shed needs installing, plus the layout frame could do with a coat or two of paint.

• RMweb Gold

Looks great Stu. The trick with the outer layer stripped off is just brilliant. The rendered surface is totally convincing.

I like how these new buildings are being constructed into an "existing" landscape - as in the real world.

• RMweb Gold

Two coats of gloss now applied to the frame.

Filler applied to the stone slabs next to the shed.

Both sides of the shed roof tiled ( individual tiles).

Today's tasks: paint the roof and the shed door, and make a roof for the shed's lean to.

Tonight's tasks: paint the slabs, paint the backscene...

• RMweb Gold

Lovely job Stubbers.

Very nice indeed.

One can almost hear the sheep bleating in the background.....oh, hang on......

It’s got a wonderful ‘I’m stuck here in the middle of nowhere with a four hour wait til the next train and the bloke in that cottage keeps giving me funny looks’ vibe about it. Will you be adding the sound of distant sheep, half hearted crickets and an occasional strangled crow caw? :-)