Tinner's Forge

• RMweb Gold

Tinners Forge will be a substitute layout for DM Four Mill Something at the Hayle Spring show this coming May bank holiday weekend.

I'm going to re-work the left side with a couple of buildings, replacing the unconvincing grass bank.

• RMweb Gold

The grass bank will replaced by previously built models of these buildings :

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/5171-truro-014jpg/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/18511-model-of-truro-goldsmiths/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/23093-north-roskear-road-workshop/

post-7025-0-03219000-1525955806.png

They will be arranged on a rising hill (from the front edge), with a T junction and minor road leading down past the cottage to the forge.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The garage has now been sorted (well, enough to satisfy the boss), so the two layouts are now side by side rather than stacked.

post-7025-0-70020600-1526301503_thumb.jpg

This is the position of the first building, I'm not sure whether to replace the windows with less Midland-looking ones, but the first job is to remove the hillside and embed it in place. 

post-7025-0-94424100-1526301531_thumb.jpg

The old Penelewey cottage remains elusive, at the moment, it must be in a shoebox somewhere for safe keeping. 

A random phone box has appeared - not sure why...

post-7025-0-00262800-1526301568_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Well, Tinner's Forge is not in the best of condition. The baseboard has sagged/twisted, so there is a rise in the track where the 6-wheeled milk tanks derail.

One of the points is not always throwing one way, and one of the isolating sections is dead.

The dingham uncouplers are too low and the soft iron wires I added to the coupling hooks are the wrong profile and are not stuck on very well.

And I still can't find the cottage...

See you all at the Hayle show next Bank Holiday weekend.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Electromagnets have been raised, so some of the uncoupling wires now work better.

The lump in the track is on a 12mm piece of ply - so no idea how it's occurred - some of the prairies derail, so they've been excluded from the weekend trip to Hayle, the panniers however are fine. 

Not found the fault with the dead track yet, nor have I found the bl**dy cottage...

• RMweb Gold

Dead section fixed.

Overhanging platform power-sanded back.

Cottage still awol.

Next is some remedial work to the scenery and the pruning of the 'pick-axe' trees (yes, I remember all those cruel jibes...).

• RMweb Gold

On a positive Stubbers, this is no where nearly as last minute as the Taunton show....I also derive a degree of reassurance from this. I mean, I have six months to build Bleat Wharf before I exhibit that...

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All packed and ready to go to the Hayle Spring Exhibition this weekend.

The layout will be in the GWR era, so prairies, a pannier and a sentinel will be shunting duty.

If you're going to the show, please stop & say hello.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Reflections on the layout's first public appearance.

Overall, very positive. On  Saturday I just played shunting, shuffling trucks randomly.  On Sunday I used cards to play the 5-3-3 inglenook game. 

The wagons and uncoupling worked well, almost faultlessly. One wagon lost the coupling wire, but this was glued back on Sunday morning and it was back in use within the hour. The horse box & guards van were not used on Sunday, as having longer wheelbases they didn't fit when a siding was full of wagons (preventing the last wagon to sit over the electromagnet).

The locos (sentinel & prairie) performed well at low speed, with barely a need for a prod.  The pannier seemed to be exactly the wrong length for the distance between the uncouplers and the points - it seemed to sit on a dead spot every time.

Lots of positive comments about the building, and the general setting and autumnal scene.  The uncoupling did cause a few viewers to ask how it was done, and how I knew where the magnets were ( I have a little spot of yellow paint on the end of the sleeper, which I can see from the operating position).

The track that has mysteriously developed a raised point has not yet been looked at - how a piece of 12mm ply bends like that I'm not sure. This is severe enough to upset a 6-wheel milk tank wagon and indeed one of the prairies..

Future work.

The trees will need to be trimmed, and couple of them re-planted to be more upright. The overgrowth on the Cornish hedges and the brambles need to be re-done - they appear to have disappeared to almost nothing.  The left end will get a couple of new buildings, the pair I had planned to use are either not up to scratch quality-wise, or missing completely (!), although the cottage would actually have been too big for the space anyway, so a re-think is required.

I also need a high stool.

The layout has also been invited to a 1-day show in late June in Crantock, nr Newquay..

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

One the reasons for using electromagnetic uncouplers was to allow other types of couplings to be used.

I'm thinking about converting a set of early BR wagons to use Sprat & Winkles.

Edited by Stubby47