The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

57xx

• RMweb Gold

My daughters friend work at McLaren making the wings for the F1 cars he's not giving anything away at the moment but he said it could be an interesting season now the "Little Idiot" has lost control and their

might be some odd interpretations of the new rule which could spice things up.  :secret:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ooo, Merc have got it right, well moreso than the others!

It's certainly the best of the bunch so far. I was so disappointed when I saw the first few cars with those ugly shark fins making a reappearance. They make the low rear wing look even worse than they do without them.

• RMweb Gold

McLaren launched in orange and black - looking good apart from yet another shark fin. Interestingly, Ferrari have launched theirs with a shark fin also. Mercedes seemingly having gone it alone without so at this year. I wonder if they have made an error?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Maybe they didn't ;)

Just 5 more weeks and we'll know who stands where on the grid :yes:

I know it is possible that they didn't, however, Formula 1 history has shown that when something different is added somebody has spotted an opportunity. As all the teams have added the shark-fin bar Mercedes (ok, Williams is less substantial), it suggests that the majority believe that there is a benefit in it. I think it will be interesting to see the Red Bull launch next week on Sunday and whether Adrian Newey believes it is the way to go.

Only two car launches to go...

Roy

• Like 1

Mercedes have said that the launch car is not the car that will go to testing, and they they are keeping their options open on adding a fin. The T wing at the rear, as seen yesterday afternoon, serves a similar purpose, and will be evaluated. I would expect both to be seen in testing.

Interestingly, since the departure of Ron, McLaren's backers have increased the budget available to the team. Given all of the mood music around the Return to Orange this is indicating pretty strongly where the team thinks the responsibility for poor performance lay.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128241/mclaren-has-bigger-budget-for-2017

Actually, there are two versions in the official photos. One is the breadvan and the others show a much smaller fin. Probably they will try both in testing. I'm not clear on the alleged aerodynamic advantages, other than that it somehow tames the airflow onto the rear wing. Presumably there's a compromise between the Size 0 faring over the engine and gearbox (curvy) and turbulence in front of the wing, and the fin somehow reduces that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's possible that either engine cover could be used depending on circuit

or weather , if there is a lot of side wind I think the big fin could get changed

to the smaller one for better stability , much like rear wings were changed for

different tracks in the past for reduced drag .

As I posted earlier, in response to a post that you later deleted, these are the 'traditional' McLaren colours, from the late 60s and 70s as seen on F1 and CanAm cars.

Spyker ran in orange livery because they were Dutch. They had originally been the Jordan team, and were bought out by Veejay Mallya and became Force India.

1.jpg

• RMweb Premium

As I posted earlier, in response to a post that you later deleted, these are the 'traditional' McLaren colours, from the late 60s and 70s as seen on F1 and CanAm cars.

Spyker ran in orange livery because they were Dutch. They had originally been the Jordan team, and were bought out by Veejay Mallya and became Force India.

1.jpg

The annoying thing is that this is the wrong orange, its more red, with a metallic tint. As the reason to use orange is to hark back to the good ol' days why not use the right shade!?

The Toro Rosso is hands down the best looking car:

Extra presentation points for using the white lettered tyres, the yellow and the purple will clash horribly!

I see after 30 minutes testing they've already gone quicker than in the whole of day 1 last season.

The fins make a good advertising hoarding in the joke of a "sport" that F1 has become. I'm actually looking forward to it being on pay-extra telly only so I don't feel compelled to waste my Sunday afternoons (or whenever) watching.

Mr Grumpy

• Like 1

The annoying thing is that this is the wrong orange, its more red, with a metallic tint. As the reason to use orange is to hark back to the good ol' days why not use the right shade!?

The Toro Rosso is hands down the best looking car:

Extra presentation points for using the white lettered tyres, the yellow and the purple will clash horribly!

I see after 30 minutes testing they've already gone quicker than in the whole of day 1 last season.

Looking at the Pics of the Torro Rosso, it only seems to say Red Bull on it everywhere, that does seem strange to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39097052