RMweb

Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 25th/26th November 2017

Barry O

Perhaps what is really needed is for exhibitions to provide a safe storage area for purchases to be left. Obviously there are potential problems with that as the exhibitions won't want to find themselves liable for any going walkies etc. Then again most big venues will have a cloakroom. The other alternative is to ask traders to keep big heavy purchase that would need a big bag behind their stall for later collection, taped in a bag and clearly labelled.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a degenerative condition of the spine. I hope to carry on 'helping' restore a locomotive. I hope I can enjoy my new found hobby. I hope we can all enjoy exhibitions.

I ain't moaning. My point is that I can see this from both sides. The common or garden rucksack wearer is not an evil owl. The head will not rotate eleventy hundred degrees, and bearing such burden you really cannot expect people to execute a military about turn to check their flanks...

Spazzers like myself, and other people who may be greater or less able, always have the option of pre-emptive* bnggering out of the way.

Fix the map and I'll bring the compass!

I'll push as well, to the bar!

*Those that know, do. Everyone else is a faker.

Blinding show, see you all at AP.

edit: best purchase of the day? Finsbury Park dmd book!

Oh, and signing up to the emgs!

Edited by Finsbury

• RMweb Premium

".....................and that folks, is why I have given up going to the Warley Show"

What has?

If it's backpacks or mobility scooters then being alert to the situation helps. You are just as likely to be walked into by someone gazing at their phone walking along the street.

I managed to avoid contact with bags and scooters over the show and I am not the smallest person..it was close, at times, but avoidance can be achieved.

Baz

I took a rucksack as I was told it was part of the dress code.... gotta say it came in handy, as I was self catering in food and drink so I didn’t buy any greasy stuff as I’m on a diet.

The most dangerous thing at Warley was those who had brought trackand put it in their back packs ! I had a slight face to code 100 interface issue at one point

• RMweb Premium

I managed to navigate the hall at various times over the weekend and had no problems with either back packs or mobility scooters.   As my wife sometimes need to use a scooter I am very aware of the issue that surround them.  The positive side was shown by one visitor to the layout who was in a scooter.  I was operating the the locoshed area at the time and he commented on how nice it was to get an eye level view of the loco yard and the area beyond. A real gent.   That was one of the reasons I fixed the layout at that height.

Anyway onto other things.  I would first of all like to thank Paul Jones and his team for the way the show was organised. The parking arrangements on Friday worked well and I was allowed into the hall at precisely the agreed time.  The arrangements as usual were superb.   Yes it was tiring but was well worthwhile.    I met some lovely people of the weekend and was even introduced to 'Sir William' Macalpine.  The layout's running improved throughout the show and on Sunday afternoon I was ale to operate the 3 car EMU on it's full diagram for the first time.   If anyone has any photos of it on the layout I would be very grateful as I didn't have time to take  a single picture.   

Packing up wasn't easy as I came down with a bug at about 4pm and ended up having to spend an extra night in a Travelodge as I wasn't fit enough to drive the lorry home.  However on the Monday it was all put onto pallets and shrink wrapped ready for transport to it's new home in France in January.

A very tiring but thoroughly enjoyable weekend and thanks to all concerned.  I also noticed how much better the lighting was.  

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

".....................and that folks, is why I have given up going to the Warley Show"

Presumably you mean all the bickering and rather tactless comments about others. Yes, I too find the attitudes of some people towards other's failings/frailties to be hugely intolerant especially those aimed at folk that are maybe getting on inyears and have mobility issues. FFS we are so lucky in this country to be able to go and do more or less what we like whilst much of the rest of the world is either involved killing each other, threatening to do that or is so poor thay can't eat most days. 

Other posters need to get a grip and and count your blessings. 

Now I will get banned but it was worth it.

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

Please can we keep to the topic of the Warley show itself rather than the perennial circular discussions / perceived arguments about backpacks etc., which does no one any favours. My capacity for happiness, you could fit into a matchbox without taking out the matches first.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I went on the Sunday and enjoyed it, picked up loads of small items such as buffers, wheels etc to finish off a rake of wagons and some tools that were required.

Plenty of room around the layouts and lots of seating. I also helped out on the GNRS stand while the others took a break.

Would I go again. . . .Definately.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed my visit on Saturday. Yes, four or five people with backpacks bumped into me but all of them apologised and in one case we got chatting so I now have a new friend. I also nearly got a broken ankle due to scooter. The person had not been shown that it had a switch for high and low speeds! I sorted that problem out and we saw each other twice later in the day and exchanged smiles. Thanks to all the exhibitors and organisers, well worth the trip from London which only cost £10.60 on Virgin West Coast.

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

This was my Warley goodie bag, survived just enough to get back to the car.

It did good though, it held 16 locos, 8 Coaches, 12 sets of Gibson LMS pony wheels, 1 Class 52 body, 3 water towers, 1 fueling point and 1 cardboard coaling stage.

(I think it was the cardboard coaling stage that over did it).

Good day shopping.

Admittedly much was from the Bachmann returns stand, but at £45 for a Compound (I bought two), £50 for a “Giggleswick” Patriot, £40 for an E2, £70 for a class 47 I couldn’t refuse. Highest I paid was £100 for Madras. Afternoon on Sunday there was some very good deals there, the more models in your hand, the better the discount.

post-20773-0-06294600-1511949946_thumb.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

At the BBC Good Food Show they had a 'shop and drop' facility which was operated by one of the facility companies.

You paid a pound (some years ago) and you could add as much 'shop' as you like to your 'drop' then collect it all when you left.

It was all professioinally operated using a ticket system. It was very useful.

Just Maybe?

More pictures soon if I can figure out some layout names. :scratchhead:

Keith

• Like 3

Hi guys

I enjoyed Warley show weekend working on the rails of Sheffield stand. Great banter and really nice group of people!

Anyway, I lost a bracelet somewhere over the two days, so grabbing at straws here, could you check your rails carrier bags and see if you got more than you expected!

Many many thanks

Sandra

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys

I enjoyed Warley show weekend working on the rails of Sheffield stand. Great banter and really nice group of people!

Anyway, I lost a bracelet somewhere over the two days, so grabbing at straws here, could you check your rails carrier bags and see if you got more than you expected!

Many many thanks

Sandra

Give us a clue, OO, EM or P4 bracelet?

Mike.

My last visit was 2 years ago, a long way from the Isle of Wight, also seemed busier than 2 years ago and people seemed to say longer even at 4pm it seemed busy. A great event put on by all well organised, and smooth running. Sadly no cash to buy anything unfortunately  would of brought a few things if I did so only an exhibition guide.

For those who didn't attend here's so Video highlights....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZTxL1AcVA&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSKTnzL_QNA&feature=youtu.be

I have added all the photos I have also taken from the show, including all the manufacturers: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmaySg7p

What has?

If it's backpacks or mobility scooters then being alert to the situation helps. You are just as likely to be walked into by someone gazing at their phone walking along the street.

I managed to avoid contact with bags and scooters over the show and I am not the smallest person..it was close, at times, but avoidance can be achieved.

Baz

Travelling to and from the show - by road, around the M42.

Car parking

OR

Travelling by train at an almost eye watering fare.

Crushed by the bargain seekers.

Pushed and shoved by any number of punters (intentionally and unintentionally).

Trying to hold down my  breakfast due to the smell of some sweat soaked jackets.

A show that, due to its popularity, and size cannot be readily, or easily absorbed in one day....so two days incurs a hotel bill as well.

That's only my opinion, others may hold opposing views.

• RMweb Premium

Travelling to and from the show - by road, around the M42.

Car parking

OR

Travelling by train at an almost eye watering fare.

Crushed by the bargain seekers.

Pushed and shoved by any number of punters (intentionally and unintentionally).

Trying to hold down my  breakfast due to the smell of some sweat soaked jackets.

A show that, due to its popularity, and size cannot be readily, or easily absorbed in one day....so two days incurs a hotel bill as well.

That's only my opinion, others may hold opposing views.

Perhaps you missed the comments at 9.35 in post #662 . . . . . . .

If you hate it so much why do you bother going ?

• RMweb Premium

Give us a clue, OO, EM or P4 bracelet?

Mike.

Which reminds me, I hope the (presumed lady's) wedding ring that was found on Sunday was reunited with its owner. Though the thought did cross several minds that it had been discarded in anger at some unwise husband's excessive purchases...

• Like 1

I was on the Wild Swan stand all weekend, There were some nice layouts but out numbered by what I would call train sets rather than model railways. I guess the show has to cover the whole of the hobby but some layouts I thought should have not been there.

There was a horrible stench of stale urine which seemed to drift around the hall, not too sure if a person or persons were to blame or the loos but it was dreadful.

I am amazed too the amount of societies in which the people manning them looked really uninterested, hardly a recipe to gain new members.

David

• RMweb Gold

A friend has informed me that Wild Swan had a poster up on his stand saying that Wagons 3 would be available in February, but he cannot remember the price.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

David

This was my Warley goodie bag, survived just enough to get back to the car.

It did good though, it held 16 locos, 8 Coaches, 12 sets of Gibson LMS pony wheels, 1 Class 52 body, 3 water towers, 1 fueling point and 1 cardboard coaling stage.

(I think it was the cardboard coaling stage that over did it).

Good day shopping.

Admittedly much was from the Bachmann returns stand, but at £45 for a Compound (I bought two), £50 for a “Giggleswick” Patriot, £40 for an E2, £70 for a class 47 I couldn’t refuse. Highest I paid was £100 for Madras. Afternoon on Sunday there was some very good deals there, the more models in your hand, the better the discount.

What a lot of stuff!

So if it's not a rude question, how much did that little lot come to? (don't worry, none of us on here will spill the beans).

Honest.