Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

Please can Bachmann hurry up with website updates!!! I am egally waiting to budgeting my spending for the year!!! Need to know how much the 450 and 150s will be!!!

Well, that's easily answered in one word...  expensive   :rofl:

• Like 1

The 1P is interesting. It's not something I'd ever have put on a wishlist, but now that it's been announced I definitely want one!

Wikipedia (unusually) doesn't have much background on these, can anyone tell me what kind of traffic and in what kind of locations they were typically used? 

The are some interesting new RTP buildings and structures, as well (although some of the prices, it has to be said, are becoming a bit eye-watering). I like the "tin tabernacle", it's a more realistic depiction of the kind of nonconformist chapel often found near railway stations than the existing options from Hornby. Although the colour seems a bit wrong, in reality, these would have been more often painted a pastel blue or green than red.

Bachmann's Tin Tabernacle is based on the preserved example which is Ex Westhouses, Derbyshire. Now at Swanwick Junction in a slightly shorter form.

And that is my point. BR blue existed for the last couple of years of steam and I would have thought that the few blue pre-TOPS locos that do get released would have been popular with those that model this era. Obviously not, so hey ho.

Roy

So they say.

Yet Hornby have only to my memory have only issued 1 version of the class 50 in Blue and pre tops livery to date. The second one to be issued is D400 sometime in the near future.

Anybody modelling the West coast mainline north of Crewe/Settle & Carlisle late 60s early 70s needs pre tops blue EE type 5s (class 50 ).

Somewhere I have a couple of pictures of D400 on shed at  Bristol shortly after it arrived from the North.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've been commenting on posts as I have read through the thread. Now for some more general comments.

....I don't think it's been mentioned but the EP sample of the POT that Bachmann had with them had B5 bogies - yes they have tooled a B5 bogie for hauled stock. Hopefully this will find its way on to future releases of Sleepers and the POS and be sold as spares...

Well a B5 would be needed for the Kernow 4TC? So I guess they were hanging around.

Griff

Well a B5 would be needed for the Kernow 4TC? So I guess they were hanging around.

Griff

No, that's a B5(S) which is a different bogie to the B5 used under the POT. Hence why I wrote "yes they have tooled a B5 bogie for hauled stock" - and before anyone says 4TCs were hauled stock no they were not, they were classified as units and numbered accordingly.

Pre-TOPs blue diesels don't sell very well apparently. I asked today.

Such a shame really.

But there you go.

Going by the tone of this thread ,it looks like there are quite a few of us, that don`t get what we want.

I remember seeing 14-car boat trains when I was going to school in the 1960s. They were composed Cep-Bep-Cep-MLV-MLV. This was before the TLVs came out.

Like this:

5953484585_9dee7ca69e_z.jpgMLV_S68004_Orpington FolkestoneHbr-Vic_22-3-70 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Here is one with a TLV:

21547295478_36c837be60_z.jpgMLV_68010_Ashford_1100-Vic-Dover_3-6-72 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 4

Such a shame really.

But there you go.

Going by the tone of this thread ,it looks like there are quite a few of us, that don`t get what we want.

They did do an air-braked pre-TOPS blue 47 but it was for Modelzone:

34962994253_646c68f45c_b.jpgP1070203m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

TOPS ones can often be backdated:

35603399612_4e0b4f16f5_b.jpgP1070238am by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Or GSYP ones can be moved on a bit (this one by Brian Kirby):

35603411102_5cbe5ea5bc_b.jpgP1070202m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Bachmann did do one pre-TOPS blue Peak:

35604826602_9d11377ff8_b.jpgP1070186m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

And another Brian Kirby job:

34962994653_0fd9e68512_b.jpgP1070175m by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 10

A connoisseur would know the differences between the MR/early LMS built Compounds and the later Compounds, but would the public?  If Bachmann were to produce its LMS Standard Compound in crimson lake livery and it went through the usual discounting, this could jeopardise the NRM's Compound, which is not discounted. For the present, folk wanting a red LMS Compound will have to be patient or learn the art of painting & lining. Incidentally, I wonder how many folk have carried out the reverse action and re-sprayed an NRM Compound in late LMS/Early BR black?

So as not to be completely off-topic, a MR 1P 0-4-4T worked in North Wales for a time on the Prestatyn-Dyserth branch.

• Like 5

So they say.

Yet Hornby have only to my memory have only issued 1 version of the class 50 in Blue and pre tops livery to date. The second one to be issued is D400 sometime in the near future.

Anybody modelling the West coast mainline north of Crewe/Settle & Carlisle late 60s early 70s needs pre tops blue EE type 5s (class 50 ).

Somewhere I have a couple of pictures of D400 on shed at  Bristol shortly after it arrived from the North.

If might not be the early D400 though, there is some confusion as to whether its the later 1990ish repaint due to the refurbished bodyside in the catalogue image

Good to see progress on the Post Office Stowage Vans.

There appears to be some confusion over 39-750 - it should be Post Office Red (Preserved) i.e. as GCR TPO/matching other 1960s vehicles.

Now I see Bachmann are listing it as EWS branded 'Travelling Post Office'.

Has there been a chance in spec, and if so did Bachmann make any announcement? If so, under what guise can we expect to see an 'as preserved' TPO?

I'm quite sure all of these announced models will be up to the standards we now expect from Bachmann when they eventually appear. I cannot get excited about things that might appear at some point in the distant future, 4-5 years is longer than the lifespan of many layouts. The VEA was originally announced so long ago that anyone really wanting one would've given up on Bachmann and gotten hold of the Parkside Dundas kit, built it, painted and detailed it and by this point in time had it running on their layout for many, many years. Even if you bought the kit today and took your time and had it finished by the end of month you'd have a completed VEA many years ahead of the arrival of the Bachmann VEA. I'm much more interested in what's recently or about to arrive from Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

If might not be the early D400 though, there is some confusion as to whether its the later 1990ish repaint due to the refurbished bodyside in the catalogue image

Let's hope that it is the 1990s repaint as that will complete the set produced... D400/50007/8/15/31

As a 70s and 80s era modeller I am quite happy. Not too many things, but much more and the wallet would not cope.

For me:

4BEP

20174 in blue (hoping they have added lights)

44006 in blue

47444 in large logo (think this is ok to become 47595)

VEAs

Will probably have to buy Merl for the sake of it

Already got DBSO and 4TC on order so progress there is welcome.

Roy

47444 has a Spanner Boiler port and 47595 has the Stone-Vapour, so not OK to re-number.

The Stone-Vapour boiler version is very rare on Bachmann models, just 5 out of 50 releases.

The following have been issued previously...

31-650K      47522 in Doncaster Green

31-658/DS  47190 in Trainload Petroleum

31-650Q     47829 in POLICE livery (Kernow Exclusive)

32-817        47745 RES

and the newly announced

31-663       47209 in Distribution

Of course the usual minefield of Class 47 detail differences will mean that whatever Bachmann produce it will never be suitable for a straight renumber to your chosen loco. Flush ends, cowls, boiler ports, ETH, series-parallel/All parallel, livery variations etc. mean you will almost certainly have to do some "modelling" to get an accurate representation of your chosen subject.

Good to see progress on the Post Office Stowage Vans.

There appears to be some confusion over 39-750 - it should be Post Office Red (Preserved) i.e. as GCR TPO/matching other 1960s vehicles.

Now I see Bachmann are listing it as EWS branded 'Travelling Post Office'.

Has there been a chance in spec, and if so did Bachmann make any announcement? If so, under what guise can we expect to see an 'as preserved' TPO?

It changed from preserved to EWS about two years ago.

They did do an air-braked pre-TOPS blue 47 

The perpetuated problem with D1662 is that they still did the non-standard livery with four double arrows behind all cab doors.  

Very suited to a limited edition and unsuited to the main range/ general release.

Same is true of the near-universal Peak arrangement of healed-up ends and marker lights in Blue.  Only done on the decent Bachmann bodyshell as a commission.

An email from a Liverpool box shifter this morning advises the DBSO's will have an RRP of £74.95 (sale price £63.71) and are due March/April 2018.

We'll see ...

Do you mean HATTONS ?

If so they are now based in Widnes.

Edited by Free At Last

Are there any photos of the launch event? Rather keen to see the Class 450 on display!

Super catalogue this year, I am more pleased than disappointed about the 158.

Where have you seen a catalogue? Not available yet - just on pre-order according to the main suppliers...

Any official date for publication?

The perpetuated problem with D1662 is that they still did the non-standard livery with four double arrows behind all cab doors.  

That was the standard livery until c1969 although I agree the later style with single arrow would be good on 47 with headcodes. Even if they did dominoes or 0O00 behind glazing you could still probably renumber and change the headcodes. I managed that with Peaks.

1662 was still in that livery style when it first gained its TOPS number incidentally.

• Like 1

Where have you seen a catalogue? Not available yet - just on pre-order according to the main suppliers...

Any official date for publication?

Copies of both the Farish and Bachmann catalogues and the new price lists were handed out at yesterday's briefing. I don't recall mention of an official publication date but Collectors' Club members will probably be sent theirs pretty soon, so I shall then have two copies of the 00 catalogue.