Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

If it hasn't done well it's because it was released in the black wartime livery which wasn't carried by all and didn't last long.  If they had done it from the outset in crimson I suspect a lot more would have sold.  Personally wartime black is useless for me but I could have found space for two or three red'uns.  I'm happy doing a renumber job, but not lining out a red respray!

But the BR versions aren't particularly popular either from the looks of how many are still in stock.  I'd like to see another release but I reckon it won't be for a while sadly.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Compound has done particularly well as most major retailers still have all variations in stock, mostly at discounts.  I really like it but it might be a few years yet I fear.

Sorry to double post, still trying to get my head around multiple posting and quotes.

That's because they haven't done it in LMS red, the most popular incarnation, and the one I'm waiting for. Grrrr. Sometimes I get so mad I go green! Oh yes, I remember now, that's LNER green for you, oh well. I still want a Compound in 1930s LMS crimson. Surely it's not too much to ask?

• Like 1

But the BR versions aren't particularly popular either from the looks of how many are still in stock.  I'd like to see another release but I reckon it won't be for a while sadly.

How do we know they are the original stock issue and not a restock?  They could have sold well and be on their second run.  It's like when people claim the 85s and Desiros haven't sold because there's lots on discount, if you look at the Bachmann website certain versions were shown temporarily as "out of stock" before re-appearing at a higher RRP subsequently - which suggests a restock at the warehouse.  Frankly I'm always dubious of claims of slow selling based on retailer stocks as often we don't know how many retailers actually have in stock, or how many Bachmann have in the warehouse.

​Given Bachmann are releasing crimson Jubilees, Scots, and Patriots alongside their BR and interestingly "BRITISH RAILWAYS" branded versions which are arguably very niche, and did a very pretty red Aspinal tank which isn't exactly a widespread prototype, there's clearly a market for Crimson locos and given the crimson Compounds lasted over 20 years, and got everywhere on all sorts of traffic, it really should be a no-brainer.

They probably haven't released a Crimson LMS Compound due to a possible clash with the Limited Edition Midland Compound.

Jason

Different markets and versions.  The NRM MR1000 is based on it in it's current preserved state, and is really aimed at collectors as it effectively is only of use to modellers wanting to recreate it's use on railtours.  Plus MR1000 is right hand drive and has the taller boiler fittings.  By contrast, the standard LMS Compound is left hand drive and would be used by anyone modelling the LMS between the late 20s and the late 40s.  If the lack of a crimson LMS compound is down to fears of clashing with the NRM edition it's as daft as saying we won't model a production Deltic because the prototype has been modelled for the NRM.

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't agree more. So why hasn't Bachmann done a J27, J21, G5, Standard 2MT? etc...

I think Bachmann have announced an excellent programme today, even though I would also like these. Don't forget the J67/69! Given the 2017 models announced recently by Hornby, and by Bachmann today, especially the H class 0-4-4T and the Johnson 0-4-4T, I'd be pretty hopeful about several of these being in 2018's announcements. The Standard 2MT, J27 and J67/69, in particular, are now high on the 'to do' list from various polls.

John Storey

• Like 1

That may be the wrong way; round 1/277 was the lower (Airfix) one, 1/274 being the taller (Hornby) one. Anyway Bachmann said it was not the Airfix diagram.

Sorry

Got myself confused - not difficult !

The Airfix is the 1/277 12' WB, the Bachmann website would seem to indicate theirs will be the 1/274 10' WB tall one

The are some interesting new RTP buildings and structures, as well (although some of the prices, it has to be said, are becoming a bit eye-watering). I like the "tin tabernacle", it's a more realistic depiction of the kind of nonconformist chapel often found near railway stations than the existing options from Hornby. Although the colour seems a bit wrong, in reality, these would have been more often painted a pastel blue or green than red.

That depends on the area. I have seen  a good number of maroon examples. 

Bernard

I don't think the BEPs often ran to Portsmouth, they usually being the middle/rear Bognor portion from Barnham. And the Central had the prototypes 7001/2, which had rather more classy interiors w loadsa real wood, and which Bachmann are not offering. Nevertheless, enjoying a beer after early turn, while diving headlong down Sole Street bank in a SE BEP from the production batches is a good memory. Perhaps someone will model Faversham, with the 12-cars splitting 8 for Ramsgate, 4 for Dover. 

I think most if not all of the Phase I Beps were on the Central section from 1964 until refurbishment. I agree that the Bep usually went to Bognor. I used to be taken on day trips from Worcester Park to Bognor by my mother in the 1970s, changing at Dorking, and the Bognor portion was invariably a Bep (and Cig or Cep if the train was 12 car) and the Portsmouth portion was usually a Cig.  Beps also worked on other Central section main line services, often in company with Cigs. I remember a trip on one from Hastings to Bexhill in either 1976 or 1980 (years in which we had a holiday in the area).

Someone commented above about a Bep in blue. I think there were very few in that livery and the livery itself was short-lived. Green with no yellow panels would appeal to many though.

If I recall correctly, almost all (possibly all) of the Phase I Beps gained Commonwealth bogies on the buffet car very early on. The photo of one in green that Bachmann have used is of one of the prototypes and its buffet also has CW bogies.

Here is the buffet from the first production Cep in 1979:

8233903407_afa15b230a_z.jpgS69002_Redhill_1979 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 1

The are some interesting new RTP buildings and structures, as well (although some of the prices, it has to be said, are becoming a bit eye-watering). I like the "tin tabernacle", it's a more realistic depiction of the kind of nonconformist chapel often found near railway stations than the existing options from Hornby. Although the colour seems a bit wrong, in reality, these would have been more often painted a pastel blue or green than red.

If cost is an issue, there is the Wills plastic kit, which you can paint any colour you like.

• Like 1

Anything new to announce in 0 gauge by any chance?

That was generally done late last year in the Guild Gazette and by those modelling magazines (RM was one) that gave coverage to the announcements and new products at Guildex, Telford. Increasing amounts of RTR appearing for that scale.   :yes:

That depends on the area. I have seen  a good number of maroon examples. 

Bernard

If the Tin Tabernacle was mainly galvanised steel, was there not a problem with red paint, in that it poorly weathered on such surfaces and green etc., was more stable until post war paint improvements. I seem to remember my Grandad mentioned this in connection with commercial Garage doors, the zine reacted with certain paints.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

But the Cream/Crimson ones are - the new models production inventory only covers the first batch, the LNER will follow, particularly given they are now also listed as being made in N gauge.

Yes, the mock teak ones are in the catalogue. Just not in the next container it appears.

13 car when you stick an MLV on the end. At last the dream will come true. A complete Dover boat train. Already have 2 blue grey CEPs and the MLV (brought when they first came out so much cheaper). Just need BEP to complete which will doubtless cost me more than the rest put together. But at least we will have a full boat train.

14 if you include a TLV too - should be a relatively straightforward conversion from a BG.

Different markets and versions.  The NRM MR1000 is based on it in it's current preserved state, and is really aimed at collectors as it effectively is only of use to modellers wanting to recreate it's use on railtours.  Plus MR1000 is right hand drive and has the taller boiler fittings.  By contrast, the standard LMS Compound is left hand drive and would be used by anyone modelling the LMS between the late 20s and the late 40s.  If the lack of a crimson LMS compound is down to fears of clashing with the NRM edition it's as daft as saying we won't model a production Deltic because the prototype has been modelled for the NRM.

I know the differences thank you very much.

However I still reckon that they haven't released a crimson version due to a deal with Locomotion. Pure conjecture, but more likely than any other reason.

The Deltic prototype has very little in common with the production Deltics.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Someone commented above about a Bep in blue. I think there were very few in that livery and the livery itself was short-lived. Green with no yellow panels would appeal to many though.

Blue Ceps and Beps did not last very long before blue/grey was introduced. My recollection is that the prototypes had the window-frames and surrounds painted blue, while the production versions retained them as bright-work. The effect was quite different. 

Still no flush front or headlight fitted 45/1, ahh well next year is 30 years since withdrawal so you never know. 47444 vice a 45 on my passenger diagram it is then.

Flush front one was done several years back. I believe Bachmann's tooling does not cater for the 45/1 with regard to the roof differences compared to a 45/0.

• RMweb Premium

Pop a BG in between the MLV and Cep and claim it's a TLV for a 14-car boat train ;)

The usual formation was Cep-Bep-Cep leaving Victoria with the leading Cep for Portsmouth and the rest for Bognor.  Things did go awry at times.  Sometimes only Bep-Cep was available in which case the leading unit still ran to Portsmouth and hence Bep units reached the Hampshire city via the Mid-Sussex.  Occasionally the formation was Bep-Cep-Cep also resulting in the Bep reaching Portsmouth.  They did also, as I recall, have a single booked working on a non-splitter from Victoria which ran complete to Portsmouth Harbour in the evening peak.  Running a Bep instead of a Cep on the Portsmouth portion could have repercussions.  The Bognor portion returned on the next hour but the Portsmouth unit dropped back by an hour due to the longer running time.  So a down Bep-Cep with the Bep going to Portsmouth would result in the next up potentially being formed Cep-Cep (with the leading Cep returning from Bognor and the trailing unit formed by the previous Portsmouth portion) unless some juggling was done with the diagrams.  Regular observers would note these trains normally showed headcode 20 (Victoria - Sutton - Arundel - Portsmouth Harbour) down but 40 (Victoria - Sutton - Arundel - Bognor) up with the code displayed determined by the journey of the leading unit.  Headcodes were not normally changed except for the detached Bognor portion which should have showed 40 (though more often double white blank) on the branch.

I'm sure the BEPs did get to Portsmouth occasionally but I equally remember plenty of occasions when joining one of the trains at Dorking being told that the portions were reversed and the front would go to Bognor Regis, because the BEP was at the front.

• RMweb Gold

If it hasn't done well it's because it was released in the black wartime livery which wasn't carried by all and didn't last long.  If they had done it from the outset in crimson I suspect a lot more would have sold.  Personally wartime black is useless for me but I could have found space for two or three red'uns.  I'm happy doing a renumber job, but not lining out a red respray!

I was happy with it, 1189 was based at Bolton in 1948-50 as exactly that version.

Edited by adb968008