Bachmann announce Midland 1P, Class 20/3, BEP buffet car, VEA, Prestwin and Carflat

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

30 years ?

Now I feel old.

Here's the roundel design groups article and publicity photo shoots..
http://www.doublearrow.co.uk/pdfs/Rail_Express.2007-10.pdf

I remember seeing the line up in Rail magazine, and thinking I was disappointed to see 47079 lose its GWR 150 livery, but how cool they all looked. The class 60 wasn't even here yet. 58050 was still a bit of a mystery machine at the time.

Quick look at the charts sees "pump up the volume" by Marrs, Rick Astley's "never going to give you up" and George Michaels "faith".

The unveiling line up at Ripple Lane in October 1987 was

37673 - Railfreight Distribution
37892 - Railfreight Petroleum
47079 - Railfreight Metals
56001 - Railfreight Construction (later Aggregates)
58050 - Railfreight Coal

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Alternatively I could get the Midland Railway liveried one, take my glasses off and pretend it's a different 0-4-4T. :jester:

An LB&SCR Billinton D3, for example? After all, Bob Billinton was Chief Draughtsman at Derby when the 1P was being designed.

The Midland tank has regularly figured in the Annual Poll, though it only attracts mid-range support.

In 2016 it got 171 votes, roughly half what the most popular choice, the Swindon Class 120 Cross-country DMu, received (347).

In addition to its "home turf", the Johnson 0-4-4T is a fairly pivotal loco for modellers of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway between (roughly) 1920 and 1960. Bachmann have already produced quite a few items suited to that line and it may well have been chosen as a gap-filler aimed at a market segment that generates consistently good sales.

John

As the info with the photo says on page 1 of this thread, the 1532 Class was first built in 1881 i.e. a few years before 1920. All we need now is a round-top version of the 1F (that's the easy one?) and a Johnson or Deeley 0-4-0T and a Kirtley Goods and an H-boiler 2P and and and :senile:  :triniti:  :rtfm:

Blue/Grey 4BEP and confirmation that the 2HAP is still proceeding is good enough for me. My passenger stock needs will be almost complete with these!

Carflat alternative will be good news if supplied with the right period vans. But as someone said, I wish (is that allowed yet?) that someone would bite the bullet with at least an Autic, if not a Cartic. I will be using the Electrotren and Roco HO nearest equivalents to an Autic, which i have stockpiled, but they are not really right, even when Anglicised.

And then many of us do/will need a 60'/70's/80's 1/76 scale road car transporter to go with them - my old Matchbox versions really aren't up to snuff, even with bashing...

But, overall good news from the BlueBoxes. Thank you.

What gives you the impression it was as you say a southern loco ....presumably SR ? 92211 was part of a batch allocated to the WR in 1958/9.

And subsequently transferred to 70D Eastleigh in 1961 for a couple of years or so to handle the heavy oil traffic on the Southern in the Southampton area which took them far afield in the course of their duties.

I believe the NER received them next.

In the first post.

But 92211 was a Southern Region locomotive for much of it's life.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/std9f_01.html

Built 9/1959.

Transferred to Eastleigh 1961. To Feltham 6/1963, Transferred to ER 9/1963.

Jason

In actual fact, less than a third of its life. http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=92211&type=S&loco=92211

I have to say, I'm surprised there's no industrial loco in this announcement.

The Sentinel and Peckett have been nice little earners for Hornby, albeit the last batch of sentinels suffered from a poor choice of liveries IMO. 

If Hornby announce another industrial next year, I think Bachmann has missed the boat on this one - which is a shame. 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Gold

And subsequently transferred to 70D Eastleigh in 1961 for a couple of years or so to handle the heavy oil traffic on the Southern in the Southampton area which took them far afield in the course of their duties.

I believe the NER received them next.

I think you have missed a couple of my posts ? Please take a look.

In addition to its "home turf", the Johnson 0-4-4T is a fairly pivotal loco for modellers of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway between (roughly) 1920 and 1960. Bachmann have already produced quite a few items suited to that line and it may well have been chosen as a gap-filler aimed at a market segment that generates consistently good sales.

Yes, the S&D is one of those lines that commands modelling (and railfan) interest far out of proportion to its actual size, and you can be pretty sure that anything suitable for modelling it will sell. 

My thoughts on the Bachmann announcement. First of all, the timing. I think its better here at the start of the year than Mid-march even if you might want it for the next financial year then. This feels more suited to an announcement. New year, new range, job done.

As for the range, mixed emotions. Little on the steam front - despite the obvious idea that the 2MT would be from Bachmann. I agree with others that the Midland engine is more about filling Bachmanns own midland region range - allowing someone to buy them all from Bachmann. There is method to this, as I have thought for a while that a region when made in its entirety would sell. For years I was saying Bachmann should go for the NE Region, but instead look to be doing the Midlands and the Southern. The reasoning against this is that for all they pick an area according to Polls its an area of less interest. The Midland region was decimated in polls - and unlike the ones for elections, I do think that because these are expressions of interest for something you really want - that the surveys done for modelling are thus more accurate. But for those that want one, its happy days - plenty of others, like those that model the NER, Scottish Region, or some areas of pre-grouping look on in disbelief. 

As for the Rail freight 30th year idea - its nice, but its yet more spin on an announcement that would make Alistair Campbell appreciate the efforts made. Bachmann must have liked the glowing press coverage from the NSE theme last time and thus plumed for something similar. To be fair, why not. It will generate exactly that and the range does have some areas where Rail freight features, just enough for that nice press release to pick up on. 

For new announcements I'm sure the 20/3 will be popular. Its been high on polls and a gap in the market. Many will like it to go on short train formations and with Bachmann doing the Nuke wagon, it can be added to their own range. Will an RHTT set be more likely? Who knows... Meanwhile the class 90 and class 158 seem to be no further forward. Some models have taken ages to start to move through the process. The statements last year to speed up delivery of these items and some others seems to have been yet more spin, and it does make you wonder if there's more to it.

It might have been more straight forward to go for the Celebrity status diesels as these are the ones that are really grabbing the attention and high praise. Here diesel releases again outnumber the steam as costs for their production are smaller and Bachmann need to keep costs down and cash flows going. I think this explains where there are a lot of the really popular liveries and guises picked out. These will generate sales when costs keep rising. Bachmann here should be very highly commended overall for the choice and work done in trying to balance everything overall in this regard. As such popular releases feature everything from the Virgin 47, Vulcan DRS set, to the WCRC 47, GBRf Evening Star 66 and finally the 37 in Colas which hopefully will raise lots of money for the respected charity that Merls family have asked for. Indeed the efforts made by Bachmanns team show how much he obviously meant to them, and that this is a fitting way for his legacy to be remembered and appreciated. 

Overall its a good announcement in terms of privisitation models. Its been less so for those that also follow steam away from the midlands, or feature more of an interest away from the southern region where Bachmann's releases and yet more slam door EMUS add to the range. The responses to the announcement too provoke intrigue and I suspect with Bachmann the general trends contained with these responses and their annoucements of this year and last, will continue for some time yet. 

• Like 1

I'll have a BEP, thank you very much Bachmann.  A bit of a no-brainer really as at least 75% of the work was already done :)

However I wish the BEP was unpowered.  With tests my CEP would happily pull 8 coaches trailing, so there's no real need for the BEP to be powered as well.

I wonder what price difference there would be between a powered and unpowered version?  Given that the BEP is likely to be over £200 based on current pricing, running a 12 car set is a bit eye watering.  Especially if you need more than one...

Other manufacturers (e.g. Rapido) have said that non-motored versions are just a couple of pounds (or there-about) cheaper, and demand was small when they did it. Hornby seemed to be in the same boat when they did the (Cl 58 twi pack) although I accept they are locos. I suspect there are relatively few modellers lucky enough to have the space to 'double-head' units...

Edited by Mel_H

Yes, the S&D is one of those lines that commands modelling (and railfan) interest far out of proportion to its actual size, and you can be pretty sure that anything suitable for modelling it will sell. 

I couldn't agree more. So why hasn't Bachmann done a J27, J21, G5, Standard 2MT? etc...

Railfreight Sector? Needs a bit of clarification. Bob Reid Mk1 announced the creation of Sectors on a snowy day in, I think, December 1981, although they didn't go live until the after the turn of the year. I'm slightly vague about the date - but remember the day well because I had a formal career-planning interview with the General Manager, Southern Region, that day, and because of the snow I was late! To his credit, John Palette was more concerned about the large number of passengers (as we then still called them) who had also been delayed.

When Sectors got going they were very small organisations indeed, initially acting as grit in the oyster of the Regions, already perceived as having become smug. Indeed, in many respects the Regions were little more than successors to the Big 4, even after more than 30 years of state ownership. 

By the mid-80s, the Sectors began to get into their stride, vide the launch of NSE in 1986, and I think Bachmann is referring to the comparable event for Railfreight in 1987. 

I'm sure many people remember the 'public launch' at Ripple Lane open day in October 1987 - just after the hurricane

Sorry can't find my latest Bachmann times- when do collectors club members receive their catalogue as it's now out of synch with the collectors mag releases and we used to receive the 2 together in march.

Thanks

Mark

Have found said magazine which states the catalogue to be sent to collectors club members mid Jan with the next mag due start march.

The Midland 0-4-4 1P tank, whilst a delightful little locomotive, seems a very curious choice for a main manufacturer to produce as I do not think it has featured at all in previous years "wish list" polls. This would seem to be a locomotive which is very much of minority interest and I suppose that Bachmann hope that it will sell on the basis that it can be provided in a number of attractive liveries.

However what is the point of forums like this having "wish list" polls if manufacturers simply ignore them. I appreciate that Bachmann have probably done their own market research and perhaps this research tells them that this is the right locomotive to produce but I must admit I do have my doubts that it will sell that well, but perhaps I'll be proved wrong.

Sandra

While it wasn't at the top of the wishlist, I seem to remember it was quite near the top a few years running.  Also, the wishlist is not representative of their entire customer base and they have to take other factors into account.  With rising prices and smaller models doing quite well, this is a sensible option for them.

Edited by GWR8700

Will we ever see a red LMS compound, we should be on the second or third incarnation of such after all these years, and we haven't seen one yet. They were called Crimson Ramblers, Mr. Bachmann, please take the hint.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Compound has done particularly well as most major retailers still have all variations in stock, mostly at discounts.  I really like it but it might be a few years yet I fear.

Sorry to double post, still trying to get my head around multiple posting and quotes.

30 years ?

Now I feel old.

Here's the roundel design groups article and publicity photo shoots..

http://www.doublearrow.co.uk/pdfs/Rail_Express.2007-10.pdf

I remember seeing the line up in Rail magazine, and thinking I was disappointed to see 47079 lose its GWR 150 livery, but how cool they all looked. The class 60 wasn't even here yet. 58050 was still a bit of a mystery machine at the time.

Quick look at the charts sees "pump up the volume" by Marrs, Rick Astley's "never going to give you up" and George Michaels "faith".

The line up was

37673 - Railfreight Distribution

37892 - Railfreight Petroleum

47079 - Railfreight Metals

56001 - Railfreight Construction (later Aggregates)

58050 - Railfreight Coal

There was a full-size mock-up of the Class 60 cab - I'm sure someone will have a shot.

[edit] of course they have! https://www.flickr.com/photos/britishrail1980sand1990s/23025674652/

Edited by Mel_H

Unfortunately, I don't think the Compound has done particularly well as most major retailers still have all variations in stock, mostly at discounts.  I really like it but it might be a few years yet I fear.

Sorry to double post, still trying to get my head around multiple posting and quotes.

If it hasn't done well it's because it was released in the black wartime livery which wasn't carried by all and didn't last long.  If they had done it from the outset in crimson I suspect a lot more would have sold.  Personally wartime black is useless for me but I could have found space for two or three red'uns.  I'm happy doing a renumber job, but not lining out a red respray!

I must admit to feeling a little bit underwhelmed by this year’s announcements. Then I remember that they are moving towards a much more ready to release announcement system, a bit like Hornby’s, so they have probably got a few things in production they don’t want us to know about just yet. We could start a frothy topic on just that, but far more positive is just knowing that next years’ products will probably follow hot on their announcements, as well as at least one Hornby style surprise announcement. Oh, and I did have a premonition that they would be doing something Midlandly this year, though had no idea what it might be. All I could think of was a Spinner, or a Flatiron, shows you how much intuition I’ve got. Anyway 1P it is then, albeit with Hornby coaches to pull…

• Like 3