TRAINWEST 2017 - 8 & 9 April

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

So the wife abd kids are away for a few days so somehow I will have to explain why I can get up at 7:30 when they are not here because I wanted to get a couple of jobs done before heading to the show, but would not have emerged till 9ish if they had been here. Anyway that aside spent an enjoyable few hours watching trains go by and have to say I do see why people have said in the thread the standard is high as there was not a single layout that did not have something to admire. I also picked up a blue class 31 for way less that ebay is offering them for.

One reason I wanted to make the effort was to finally see what the fuss about Black Country Bluess is about and I have to say I am now having ideas for future layouts plus as I am modelling a similar time it helped me think about the freight stock I will need to aquire over time

post-773-0-50038400-1491749820_thumb.jpg

Its neighbour in St Meryyn was also pretty spectacular and I spent some time watching. Detail in the point work was something that stood out but I did not take a close up of that.

post-773-0-23221800-1491749851_thumb.jpg

And a couple of others I thought would be worth sharing, including the houses on Kinlet Wharf which created a really nice scene at the front of the layout and well crafted in N gauge.

post-773-0-71425800-1491749842_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-44963100-1491749836_thumb.jpg

post-773-0-75538300-1491749979_thumb.jpg

Anyway back to the shed and a bit of ballasting. I wonder if I can get a larger shed installed by the time SWMBO gets back this week????

Always a good exhibition and Black Country Blues was excellent and I didn't have to put up with any boring comments, in fact the operators were very interesting and informative. The rest of the show was also good. I especially liked Vopak - I have to say this because I live near Rolleyville and I am fond of my knee caps. It seemed rather quiet today which is a shame. I presume the good weather had an impact. I spent lots, mostly on Mashimas before the disappear so Branchlines were happy.

I went today and enjoyed many layouts at the show including Black Country Blues. My favourite was Totnes which after seeing it in Model Railway Journal several years ago, was one of the reasons that made me change down from EM gauge to N gauge. The buildings, the townscape together with the modelling of the adjacent countyside is truely magnificent. Personally though, I didn't think the layout was lit properly. The two lamps didn't really do the layout justice and in fact slightly silhouetted some of the detail but still a real pleasure to view, all the same.

I travelled over from South Wales with three friends and we all an enjoyable time. I always make an effort to visit Trainwest, it's one of the few shows I travel a distance for. Once again it provided a fabulous selection of layouts, it would be unfair to pick one as a favourite because I liked so many. The standard of modelling displayed was excellent yet again and this show always attracts a very good quality , and a variety selection, of layouts.

The weather was glorious , and when we got back to car the temperature gauge said 24C, surely a mistake?

It was very quiet there today so I just hope that the Bentley Club had enough visitors to at least break even and hopefully make a profit.

Tony

Pointless conversation ?

At least the Corsham 'hostage situation' was resolved, the ransom paid,  'Vopak ( aka Windmill Terminal ) safely stowed and I'm now safely back in South Wales, in the b.o.s.o.m of my loved ones.

Good show, enjoyable weekend and wonderful banter on Saturday evening.

Perhaps others ought to try it.

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

My first time at Trainwest and I enjoyed it very much. Thanks to Geoff and the Bentley Group for the invite and for looking after us over the weekend. Some top notch exhibits and a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Thanks also for the comments above about BCB and to everyone who we chatted to over the weekend.

All bantered out, need a beer.

• RMweb Premium

Always a good exhibition and Black Country Blues was excellent and I didn't have to put up with any boring comments, in fact the operators were very interesting and informative.

Are you sure that was BCB, that doesn't sound like us at all ;)

I think you must have caught us while our guest operators were doing their stint.

It was very quiet there today so I just hope that the Bentley Club had enough visitors to at least break even and hopefully make a profit.

Tony

Thank you for your concern, but it wasn't as quiet as it may have seemed. The attendance was slightly lower than the average for the last two years at Christie Miller - to the tune of seven people. I think we can stand the loss.

Geoff Endacott

My first visit as well and well worth it. A very good standard of exhibits and a good range of traders too.

Good to catch up with the BCB crew and even have a spell of driving thanks to Andy. I gather your accommodation was very nice with doilys and lace trimmings. Always envisioned John as more a horse blanket on the ground and the stars as his ceiling kinda desperado rather than crochet bedspreads and frilly pillows.

BCB looking and running as good as ever. Even the runaway oil tanks on the steelworks branch derailed and strewed themselves about in a prototypical fashion!

Also good to finally meet and have a chat with Brian (br2975).

Certainly one for next years diary.

And a couple of others I thought would be worth sharing, including the houses on Kinlet Wharf which created a really nice scene at the front of the layout and well crafted in N gauge.

attachicon.gifkinlet wharf.jpg

Glad you enjoyed Kinlet Wharf, the 'Wharf team had an excellent weekend. (The world's only N gauge Ford Ka, in the front of your photo, was lost, presumed hovered up into oblivion, until the last moment before the show... luckily it was found nestled inside a spare N gauge waiting room....)

A big thank you to Geoff and the team for your hard work!

A good exhibition. I attended on a beautiful Saturday and the first impression was the contrast of the lush bright green firm grass to that at Stafford. Summer is here.

Glad attendance held up as it looked spacious and the weather was a good competitor.

Let me sing the praises for Wickwar. Once again N is coming up trumps. Wickwar featured a railway as background to excellent scenic modelling and a photographic backdrop that went in a slightly different direction to BCB in that there was a lesser area and more detail, sunlight and shadows. Photos were also used for building fronts, the loss of relief being compensated for by detail, shadow and reflections. Great stuff.

Well, that was Trainwest, 59th and Rust is home save and well, and in record time 6h 5 mins!! (690 mile round trip), lots of not so pointless banter, and for a change quiet a few people who like American layouts, hope every one enjoyed my little slice of New York.

Thanks to Geoff and his crew for a great weekend, if a little tiring.

only down side for me, was the Southern beer :stinker: , we tried numerous types, in numerous pubs, but end up back drinking the only Northern beer available.

Ray

We tried the following over the weekend,

Butcombe -rare breed, gold, original

Otter bitter

Bath ale- Gem

Stonehenge- pigswill

Exmoor red stag

Youngs bitter

Wadsworth- 6x, IPA, Swordfish

Presott- hill climb

But end up going back to Theakston Vanilla stout

Can you tell what my other hobby is!!!

Ray

p.s they may have tasted better if they had a head!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just wanted to say thank you to Geoff and the rest of the Bentley group for organising this show.  I and the other operators on Paul's "Tormouth" layout had an excellent weekend.

I thought the standard of the exhibits was very high, and as well as those already mentioned which were all excellent I did think the trade support was very good too.

cheers

Ben A.

We tried the following over the weekend,

Butcombe -rare breed, gold, original

Otter bitter

Bath ale- Gem

Stonehenge- pigswill

Exmoor red stag

Youngs bitter

Wadsworth- 6x, IPA, Swordfish

Presott- hill climb

But end up going back to Theakston Vanilla stout

Can you tell what my other hobby is!!!

Ray

p.s they may have tasted better if they had a head!!!!!

I can probably work out which Pubs you have been in to rack up that lot... I have to say we will agree to disagree on which is better Southern or Northern beer, the 9 pints of Butcombe rare breed I had on Saturday night were most enjoyable,

Thank you for your concern, but it wasn't as quiet as it may have seemed. The attendance was slightly lower than the average for the last two years at Christie Miller - to the tune of seven people. I think we can stand the loss.

Geoff Endacott

Sad to say that I was one of the infamous 'Christie Miller Seven' this year!

Archived