Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

41 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I've had it up to here with postal delays, despatch delays and badly finished models. I've had all of these experiences, and more, over the years with all of the major suppliers, so I thought that on this occasion it would be my turn to get a model immediately it was released, the day following despatch and perfect straight out of the box.

Not a bit of it.

I hadn't actually ordered one.

I'd complain.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I've had it up to here with postal delays, despatch delays and badly finished models. I've had all of these experiences, and more, over the years with all of the major suppliers, so I thought that on this occasion it would be my turn to get a model immediately it was released, the day following despatch and perfect straight out of the box.

Not a bit of it.

I hadn't actually ordered one.

I did the same with the SECR liveried H class when they first appeared. Was on the point of emailing my "dealer" when I realised :angry:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2020 at 07:24, nigcuberail said:

I have been reading about all the postal delays from the Sheffield area, but how about delays in dispatch?

Mine (ordered 07/08/2019) still has not been processed even though they came into stock on 06/12/2020.

Emailed Rails on 13/12/20 and was told it would be 'processed & dispatched in the next few days', however still no change in status :mad:

Another gentle 'prod' of Simon @ Rails by email yesterday morning has produced the required action - it's on it's way :yahoo_mini:

Now over to Royal Mail :scared:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, nigcuberail said:

Another gentle 'prod' of Simon @ Rails by email yesterday morning has produced the required action - it's on it's way :yahoo_mini:

Now over to Royal Mail :scared:

Given the "difficulties" repeatedly reported on here over deliveries coming out of Yorkshire, I might have sprung the extra for courier delivery on this occasion....:jester:

My 58072 came from the other end of England, only a county and a Tier away, and RM got it to me inside their advertised 48hrs.  

John

• Like 1

Here are a couple of pictures: first with a Bachmann 4F and 3F and second with a Hornby 2P and 3F. I’m no expert on S&DJR Prussian blue but I think Bachmann’s latest is far ahead of the earlier attempts. Both Hornby and Bachmann decided to finish their Jinties in blue, no doubt following the well established principle that colour sells. At least, they both resisted the temptation to line them. Hornby’s blue is rather lighter than Bachmann’s earlier versions but the finish of 54 is scrumptious. It’s darker than the earlier versions but (something I’ve always felt needs done with darker colours) it has more sheen without being outright glossy. The detail is also superb. When fitting the cab doors some care is needed. They are very tight and I think a little filing would help the fit. On the right side of mine, I haven’t been able to get the door all the way down and I’m now pondering how to extract it to have another go; it’s rather tightly jammed. On the track behind is Bachmann’s black 7F – no argument about the colour of that!

1553740849_54withBachmann4F3FCompressed.jpg.8b723cc3d437156b05bd90a3fc18a675.jpg

650865815_54withHornby2P3FCompressed.jpg.3f50aec335a68fb61166d32a625d7218.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Here’s another comparison. Bachmann has pointed out the detailed differences between the three versions of the 1P but attention was paid to the limited edition of the 4F as well. The water scoop was  left off, as was the corresponding stand on the front of the tender. The cast numberplate had also been shortened to suit the shorter S&DJR number; something not  done with 54.

1867272588_5458Compressed.jpg.e33b1540e153b607109f60c6aa4e35ca.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Bachmann Jinty is correct for the preserved example which carried it a few years ago. Not a good photo light wise but it is blue.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/47327-lms-16410-lms-7327-and-br-47327/

A lovely collection and a few observations, of which you are probably aware. 

The Jinty is correct for those delivered to the S&D in the late 20s. Bachmann's Prussian blue on their own release is better that their earlier rendition for the Cheltenham models limited edition, which was simple too light. 

The 4F, though beautifully finished in blue,  is wrong. It should be as per the 7F in plain black for a more accurate appearance for those delivered to the S&D. 

That said, Bachmann's blue  4F does have a Johnson tender unlike Hornby's release of a blue 4F which retained the Fowler tender along with the Ross Pop safety valves. 

Bachmann could quite legitimately release their 3F (tender loco) in both S&D plain black and lined blue. There would be detail differences ( front sandboxes for one if omitted)  but it would be more accurate and certainly no worse from a prototypical point of view than a  4F if released in S&D black....or black 7F 89 for that matter (which never carried that livery) 

A blue or black S&D 3F  would make a nice companion to No. 54...........

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A lovely collection and a few observations, of which you are probably aware. 

The Jinty is correct for those delivered to the S&D in the late 20s. Bachmann's Prussian blue on their own release is better that their earlier rendition for the Cheltenham models limited edition, which was simple too light. 

The 4F, though beautifully finished in blue,  is wrong. It should be as per the 7F in plain black for a more accurate appearance for those delivered to the S&D. 

That said, Bachmann's blue  4F does have a Johnson tender unlike Hornby's release of a blue 4F which retained the Fowler tender along with the Ross Pop safety valves. 

Bachmann could quite legitimately release their 3F (tender loco) in both S&D plain black and lined blue. There would be detail differences ( front sandboxes for one if omitted)  but it would be more accurate and certainly no worse from a prototypical point of view than a  4F if released in S&D black....or black 7F 89 for that matter (which never carried that livery) 

A blue or black S&D 3F  would make a nice companion to No. 54...........

Rob. 

Had a go at renumbering a 3F and 4F into SDJR black earlier this year. The 4F has been number to No.61, based on a photograph leaving the works for delivery to the SDJR. The 3F has been numbered No.64. The reason behind this number was the fact the loco was brief put back into this livery for a special tour during BR days! So I can run it in both time periods. Both still need details and weathering, but very pleased with the pair (especially considering the pair cost me lest then £100)! 

Would love to see more more SDJR models in the range though ;)

IMG_20200422_133416.jpg

IMG_20200422_174457.jpg

IMG_20200422_134149.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

They look spot on Callum. 

I take it you have used the HMRS pressfix transfers ? 

Rob. 

2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

They look spot on Callum. 

I take it you have used the HMRS pressfix transfers ? 

Rob. 

Yes, the very same. Both have come up quite nicely, however the black has frosted a bit on the 4F, as the original Midland branding was really on there. Hopefully some light weathering will cover it...  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Had a go at renumbering a 3F and 4F into SDJR black earlier this year. The 4F has been number to No.61, based on a photograph leaving the works for delivery to the SDJR. The 3F has been numbered No.64. The reason behind this number was the fact the loco was brief put back into this livery for a special tour during BR days! So I can run it in both time periods. Both still need details and weathering, but very pleased with the pair (especially considering the pair cost me lest then £100)! 

IMG_20200422_133416.jpg

IMG_20200422_174457.jpg

IMG_20200422_134149.jpg

That’s a very nice job. I think it would be a shame to weather it but then, I don’t like weathering.

11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The Bachmann Jinty is correct for the preserved example which carried it a few years ago. Not a good photo light wise but it is blue.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/47327-lms-16410-lms-7327-and-br-47327/

At least neither Bachmann nor Hornby thought to paint their Jinties Thomas blue!

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2020 at 13:54, Tim Hall said:

I did the same with the SECR liveried H class when they first appeared. Was on the point of emailing my "dealer" when I realised :angry:

I've done the opposite, ordered the same engine from different retailers. Fortunately noticed just in time, but felt bad cancelling one.

• Like 1

Seeing as we've touched on the Jinties.

According to the Essery/Jenkinson illustrated History.....

All seven LMS standard 0-6-0Ts were delivered to the SDJR in plain blue livery. This was retained for a year or so after 1930 and No 7155 (ex 24 , later 7315) is seen here in 1933 at Plaistow almost certainly still in plain blue with LMS insignia.

So if you model the LTSR in the 1930s you can have an LMS blue Jinty!

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

I've done the opposite, ordered the same engine from different retailers. Fortunately noticed just in time, but felt bad cancelling one.

Come to thing of it, I had two identical K1s because of that...fortunately I sold one on for what I paid for it.

20 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

IMG_20200422_133416.jpg

IMG_20200422_174457.jpg

IMG_20200422_134149.jpg

They all look very nice indeed, and with some judicial weathering, will look really good no doubt.  Have you considered including the piston rod cover mods for the 4/F, to add that extra level of accuracy to the Bachmann 4/F, a la brassmasters.co.uk effort?

image.png.b8b0e407f362881e175b03fd67f26063.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, thefin said:

They all look very nice indeed, and with some judicial weathering, will look really good no doubt.  Have you considered including the piston rod cover mods for the 4/F, to add that extra level of accuracy to the Bachmann 4/F, a la brassmasters.co.uk effort?

image.png.b8b0e407f362881e175b03fd67f26063.png

Not until now, as I didn't know such a kit existed! Looks superb! Certainly don't plan to go OTT with the weathering, just a bit of soot on the top and frames, maybe polished paintwork... Will have to see :)