Bachmann Midland 1P 0-4-4T

Downer

Received one of my red 0-4-4Ts and it has optional steam heating pipes. Referencing Barnoldswick on Disused Stations, it says "On November 16th, 1922, after numerous complaints from passengers, steam heating equipment was fitted to 2 locomotives and 9 carriages allocated to the branch.." (I believe these were more likely 0-6-0T 1Fs and/or 0-6-0s judging by photos) It goes on to say that this was 20 years after the Midland fitted steam heating to its mainline coaches.

So are there any views on steam heating pipes for 0-4-4T local services 1907-1911 - yes/no/some of them?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Received one of my red 0-4-4Ts and it has optional steam heating pipes. Referencing Barnoldswick on Disused Stations, it says "On November 16th, 1922, after numerous complaints from passengers, steam heating equipment was fitted to 2 locomotives and 9 carriages allocated to the branch.." (I believe these were more likely 0-6-0T 1Fs and/or 0-6-0s judging by photos) It goes on to say that this was 20 years after the Midland fitted steam heating to its mainline coaches.

So are there any views on steam heating pipes for 0-4-4T local services 1907-1911 - yes/no/some of them?

A hot water carriage heating system was in use from 1892, replaced by steam heating from 1903. There is a full listing in S. Summerson, Midland Railway Locomotives Vol. 1 (Irwell Press, 2002) table 6D. Barnoldswick was rather late in the day - the Worth Valley got steam heating in 1914 but again the engines involved were 0-6-0Ts. Where were engines for the Barnoldswick branch shedded?

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Jub45565 said:

Did you pause for a minute and wonder about...

I did indeed, and the more I watched what was going on the more obvious what was happening became...but this isn't the thread for that so I dropped you a PM ;)

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Where were engines for the Barnoldswick branch shedded?

There was a single road shed there until 1912 when it was demolished to make way for more coal sidings, so after my period. And it was a sub-shed to Skipton, according to Vol 2 of LMS Engine Sheds.

There was also a 2 road shed stabling 4 engines 6 miles away at Colne as well under Skipton and at the end on junction with the L&YR who had their own shed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Via who though? As I've received my two from Bachmann and TMC.

If it's Rails I'm waiting for a different parcel from them which was also sent on the 10th. Part of their advent deals.

Jason

Sorry Jason, I have now added Rails as the supplier. It's strange that a Signed For can get to the north-west of North Yorkshire from Somerset in two days but one from the south of the old same county is still on its way.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Sorry Jason, I have now added Rails as the supplier. It's strange that a Signed For can get to the north-west of North Yorkshire from Somerset in two days but one from the south of the old same county is still on its way.

I think RM are having problems in Yorkshire. TMC sent theirs out by courier due to local problems. I know it's a different part but it seems to be affecting the whole area. Usually when there's a backlog they send it to another local sorting office and then they get overwhelmed as well.

Just hope it doesn't snow.... :prankster:

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

just to demonstrate that Yorkshire snow is no deterrent to a 1532 Class engine:

They've fitted the spare wheel set with traction tyres.

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

5 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Has anybody whose 1P was advised by Rails as posted on 10 Dec received theirs yet?

If its any consolation, I recently had two orders from RoS take 9 and 11 days respectively to arrive after recieving the email saying they've been posted. One for a used model via their ebay which arrived sooner, and one directly from the usual site.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, I've had my LNWR-liveried one happily puffing chimney first, bunker first and both way rounds the dining room table with my rake of four Hornby BR crimson LMS Period 3 suburbans most of the afternoon, so I'm feeling contented.

I haven't glued the cab steps in place yet but a trial fitting convinced me there is no problem with the bogie wheels catching on third radius and just about OK on second. Looking at the guide slot and screw for the bogie, I think one could limit the sideplay by 0.5 mm each way quite straightforwardly though one would have to experiment a bit to make sure this wouldn't cause the leading coupled wheels to derail.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

Just had mine running around whilst listening to the footie. :sungum:

Also had a look at the slight dip on the red one. Seems that the tanks and cab aren't quite level, looks like something isn't quite sitting right rather than any damage. Running plate looks straight. I'll take the top off at some point just to check. Too late now and MOTD is just starting.

Pointing it out in case anyone else has a similar issue and hasn't noticed.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Still a couple of days to wait then, thanks.

Rails have posted some inf on the impact of local postage delays, https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3692-rails-delivery-update-december-2020

I took the opportunity on Monday of requesting despatch by 24hr tracked instead of 48hr for my 1P, so fingers crossed!

All the best,

Keith

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/12/2020 at 10:00, CHARLIE5 said:

Spoke to Rails on the 9th (and received email). Mine was dispatched that day and has yet to arrive (sent 48 hour). Rails have had a lot of pre-orders to dispatch. However, the delay is Royal Mail who have published that they have delivery issues. Some parcels are taking 7 days or longer to arrive.

This has just arrived. What a beauty!

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2020 at 15:55, Rowsley17D said:

Has anybody whose 1P was advised by Rails as posted on 10 Dec received theirs yet?

Yes I have mine.

I am waiting another item from Rails dated 6th however, I think Yorkshiremen have issues ;-)  as I ordered some HO scale containers from China also on the 6th.. and they are sitting next to me now. 

To be fair ive seen a lot of stuff, both posted and recieved that is taking longer, I think 1st class is becoming more of an issue, as people are sending it more 1st, in response to the delays in 2nd.. which self defeats. 

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

My sound-fitted Collector's Club S&DJR loco arrived a couple of days ago and was setup on my Z21 yesterday, sounds are quite good.

After poodling round the layout for an hour-or-so it was soon time for the no.54 to head for home.... but seems as though it took the wrong turn somewhere an came up against something from another era - both in blue though:D:

Shinkansen-06.jpg.8398e9670fe261370fc7f61c50deb2ac.jpg

A few days earlier 58072 arrived and after running-in was pleased to see that it had no problems hauling a couple of Hornby ex-LMS surburban coaches up my gradients so no need to fit the traction-tyred set of wheels at the moment.

Last to arrive will be my MR red version which, ironically, was the only model that was pre-ordered at my localish model shop. Was hoping to collect it yesterday when I visited the shop but had not arrived by the time I left the shop - had to compromise with a 2-HAP and a GBRf Cl.50.

Keith

• Like 5

A short running session featuring the highly eagerly anticipated Bachmann Collectors Club Somerset & Dorset Join Railway (SDJR) Midland Railway 1532 Class 0-4-4T edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar class members from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see SDJR No.54 in elegant SDJR Lined Prussian Blue livery in action, hauling a short rake of SDJR coaches.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 5