Northern Rail Timetabled Steam On The S & C

• RMweb Premium

I thought they were in addition to the usual services? Where are these stopping, most of the platforms are too short for a train that long (Appleby, Garsdale, and Settle are the only long-ish ones IIRC, not sure about Kirkby Stephen, which I should be because I'm modelling it!)

Southbound at Settle it stops with the leading coach off the end of the platform. They have stewards on every door, so they are only allowing those next to platforms to be opened. 

• RMweb Premium

Southbound at Settle it stops with the leading coach off the end of the platform. They have stewards on every door, so they are only allowing those next to platforms to be opened. 

You going to have a trip, Mick?

• RMweb Premium

Spoilsports!  :diablo_mini:

Brings back memories of the Thames Clyde and Waverley which used to pull up for the back half of the train to offload at Settle. No stewards then just the guard telling people to stay put till the train had pulled up.  Also with low platforms the porters had two sets of steps to help get passengers off.  They still used the barrow crossing in those days as well.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Brings back memories of the Thames Clyde and Waverley which used to pull up for the back half of the train to offload at Settle. No stewards then just the guard telling people to stay put till the train had pulled up.  Also with low platforms the porters had two sets of steps to help get passengers off.  They still used the barrow crossing in those days as well.

Jamie

Jamie, I think steps are still used at some stations? However the H & S mob might have stopped that?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Jamie, I think steps are still used at some stations? However the H & S mob might have stopped that?

Phil

I've a feeling not any more, most, or all, the platforms were raised several years ago. It was done sympathetically enough that it's not all that obvious, with the only sign (at the station I was using the most at the time, Langwathby) being newer-looking stonework at the top and a barrier in front of the main building entrance because of the now drop in height to the door.

Did a trip to and from Appleby today although it was a bit too dreich for full appreciation of the scenery and it was dark pretty much after Horton. I enjoyed our travel guide's comments and thought the organisation was excellent; Northern, plus the Friends, plus BTP, plus the A1 crew.  You don't get any real sense of steam haulage as it's CWR and modern-ish stock with excellent sound-proofing.  But it was nice to do and at standard ticket rates.

Well - delighted to say that I managed to catch up with her today. Ended up doing Kirkby Stephen-Skipton and return.

post-16151-0-07495700-1487196823_thumb.jpg

A conventional pic well nigh impossible and not particularly photogenic tender-first anyway so this just records the scene at Kirkby Stephen as she rolled in about 10 late. Train well too long for the platform but good stewarding arrangements and getting on board was no problem. Train well-filled but not overcrowded. Just about spot on actually.

post-16151-0-45155000-1487196842_thumb.jpg

No prizes whatsoever for guessing where this is. Large crowds out despite gloomy weather and fading light.

post-16151-0-06154200-1487196860_thumb.jpg

I just pinged a few and hoped on the way back - this is the pick of the bunch as we rolled into Settle 3 or 4 minutes to the good after a rasping run from Skipton.

Loco absolute master of the job. Not a trace of a slip and worked the train up to a good 50mph climbing the 'Drag' upon leaving Settle - before stopping again at Horton-in-Ribblesdale. Pitch black as we crossed the big viaduct and headed for Blea Moor tunnel. Very atmospheric!

The whole operation a credit to all involved. :good:

• RMweb Premium

I've a feeling not any more, most, or all, the platforms were raised several years ago. It was done sympathetically enough that it's not all that obvious, with the only sign (at the station I was using the most at the time, Langwathby) being newer-looking stonework at the top and a barrier in front of the main building entrance because of the now drop in height to the door.

Has Langwathby still got that little Cafe in the down building?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Steam train makes scheduled service for the first time in 50 years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/steam-train-replaces-regular-passenger-service-for-first-time-in-50-years/

50 years? Does Clan Line doing a scheduled Woking - Waterloo commuter service in 1995 not count?

Cheers

David

I did not know that and seemingly neither does the media. There must be some record of it in the railway mags family? I'd like to see that as Clan Line is a favourite of mine.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Something tells me that clan line wasn't actually scheduled, it was in the area during some disruption so they used it.

Could be thinking of something else though.

I believe that a Cathedrals Express did something similar fairly recently.

Jamie

Phil

Still in use on the Cumbrian coast in a couple of places. The H&S 'mob' haven't stopped them, but the problem with them is that they don't work. If the train doesn't stop in exactly the right place people won't drag them to the door so they don't help at all, and they're utterly useless for a wheelchair. At places less genteel than the S&C they tend to finish up under the train from time to time too. Hence the preference for Harrington Humps if full rebuilding isn't an option.

• RMweb Premium

Still in use on the Cumbrian coast in a couple of places. The H&S 'mob' haven't stopped them, but the problem with them is that they don't work. If the train doesn't stop in exactly the right place people won't drag them to the door so they don't help at all, and they're utterly useless for a wheelchair. At places less genteel than the S&C they tend to finish up under the train from time to time too. Hence the preference for Harrington Humps if full rebuilding isn't an option.

When Settle had them they still had station staff who did the step moving.   I left in the 70's before the footbridge was installed and the platforms were raised.   In those days the  Thames Clyde was still about 10 coaches with a brake that had a proper luggage compartment.  Occasionally strangers would be seen trying to get out of the rear portion that was still off the platform.  Much shouting would then ensue.   The porters were very good at getting the steps into the right places.  The only potentially dangerous thing that I ever saw was a lady in stilettoes on the barrow crossing who got one heel stuck between a rail and the check rail.  There was an 8F coming south on a freight and after trying to pull the shoes out she eventually abandoned the shoe and scampered over to the down platform and safety.   The show was a write off.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Has Langwathby still got that little Cafe in the down building?

I thought it was but just Googling for it is says "permanently closed." On the other hand Trip Advisor seems to have a review dated yesterday. Maybe it's changed hands and name (I googled the old name).

• RMweb Premium

The best steam replacement 'service' in recent times must be Tornado at Victoria (I thing it was Vic) one winter when the snow brought chaos and the train staff offered stranded passengers (yes I know they are customers) a ride home into the wilds of Kent. Presumably the 'Control' was involved for station stops (oh how that phrase jars my old ears). In the A1 Trust mag is said that some people that took advantage of that offer had no idea a steam loco was on the front. I wonder how many of them noticed the 'unusual' coaches they were getting into and settling down for a warm journey? The Trust's collection bucket was put to good use as well.

Great stuff.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I have often thought how Nottingham City and/or County Council, Lincs CC and City Council + Sponsors, could put on a small series of Robin Hood or Yellowbelly specials running up Nott'm to Worksop, Retford, Gainsborough and Lincoln and then back to Nottingham. Probably during a Summer Holiday, at the weekend (Sunday?) Using a Standard 4 Tank (is there one with a main line Cert?), so that it would be easy running bunker first and perhaps when the Robin Hood Festival is on? Couple of runs both ways during the day(s) and get on/off anywhere. Barrow Hill might provide the servicing and a stand by diseasel? Ticketing could be design clever so that there would be availability for enthusiasts but also plenty for the 'general public'.  This is a quiet, secondary route but is 'open' at weekends. Is there an imaginative and innovative Tours planner lurking out there?

If nothing else I think there is potential for a Sheffield Cleethorpes shuttle in the Summer holidays, on a Sunday using the Sheffield, Worksop route. That could be a bigger loco that could turn at either end (triangles) if that was possible. That might be for one of the bigger tour operators + local involvement? For some that could be an interesting day out with pubs on both stations. 

Phil

There's scope for this kind of thing all over the place, though whether it would actually pay it's way is another question entirely.

I recall the mid hants used the ivatt tank for Alton to Ascot runs, presumably only for special ticket holders, but that would seem the kind of thing that could be done again.

Elsewhere on this site I've semi advocated running the Conwy valley line as a heritage tourist type service.

• RMweb Premium

There's scope for this kind of thing all over the place, though whether it would actually pay it's way is another question entirely.

It'll be interesting if we ever find out how much these trains cost (although even if they're costing a fair bit they may well end up more than paying for themselves indirectly thanks to the publicity).

It'll be interesting if we ever find out how much these trains cost (although even if they did they may well end up more than paying for themselves indirectly thanks to the publicity).

This instance is a publicity stunt really, and has been a roaring success on that front. Much more effective than posters at stations at least.

Whether it would work as an annual event or something, I have my doubts that it would really bring in enough money to pay for the crewing and fuelling of an 8P and a type 5 diesel, plus the carriage hire on a purely commercial basis.

Archived