Northern Rail Timetabled Steam On The S & C

• RMweb Premium

Yes I watched it on BBC Breakfast.  Good coverage and a factually accurate pre recorded piece.   Great to see and also an on time departure live on national TV.  The presenter on Appleby station did refer to Tornado as a carriage though.  

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

As its an 'advertised service' it could be a bit embarrassing if someone turns up at Garsdale for a train on the first morning and they're not allowed to get on - will they be provided with a taxi instead I wonder?

Do all the people who fail to get on overcrowded services normally get taxis!? Someone needs to advertise that at Clapham Junction ;-)

Seems a great exercise, hats off to Northern and NR.

I hope the crowds expecting to get 'photo shot of the year' were not too saddened by the loco running tender-first southbound, and with a 67 immediately behind the loco; to spoil any idea that NR actually trusts 60163 not to fail en-route.

• RMweb Premium

I hope the crowds expecting to get 'photo shot of the year' were not too saddened by the loco running tender-first southbound, and with a 67 immediately behind the loco; to spoil any idea that NR actually trusts 60163 not to fail en-route.

I suspect that the 67 is there just to provide an ETH supply for the coaches.  Of course it will be on the rear on the way back for the climb up the Long Drag.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Nice wheelslip as it departed Settle. The 67 was not providing any extra push.......

I suspect that the 67 is there just to provide an ETH supply for the coaches.  Of course it will be on the rear on the way back for the climb up the Long Drag.

Jamie

And power for the central door locking.

Cheers,

Mnick

• RMweb Premium

Booked for 8 Mk2 plus support coach (and idling 67!)

A bit of paucity of real time reporting in RTT but 9 late off Skipton; right time Garsdale doesn't look too bad!

Time for lunch at Appleby...

67029/6042/5964/5929/9520/5958/5998/5950/5921/21249

The Mk2's are ex-Anglia turquoise with a white stripe. 21249 is the A1 support coach

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

It was on Look North with some nice shots of it that looked to be north of Horton in Ribblesdale going well and sounding good.  It's a bit better for the passengers than a 158 with vinyls over the windows.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Booked for 8 Mk2 plus support coach (and idling 67!)

A bit of paucity of real time reporting in RTT but 9 late off Skipton; right time Garsdale doesn't look too bad!

Time for lunch at Appleby...

I suspected thus but had failed to contact you.............................doh! You very lucky #######  edit: almost lucky #######

P. Eppercorn

Lies! It's all lies I tell you!

Just following proceedings on Real Time Trains and BBC local news. Several folks at the industry meeting I was at today SERIOUSLY impressed at how the whole thing has been put together. (that'll be the kiss o' death on it!)

Was going to pop over and take a look tomorrow but looks like other things have got in the way. Shucks!

D I Schuffed

• RMweb Premium

I failed to say well done slg for posting this thread here and not in Preservation. I know I should get a better life but it really pi##es me off when folk post info about Tornado in 'Preservation'.  60163 is a newly built loco, not a preservation item.

There I've done my moan.

N. Erd

The definition of preserved has been questionable for some time Phil. Perhaps it's something along the lines of more than an asset in a company ledger?

As long as 56301 doesn't get pranged/bent/torched whilst on the 'big' railway, her future is assured. I don't care what her status is.

C6T.

I failed to say well done slg for posting this thread here and not in Preservation. I know I should get a better life but it really pi##es me off when folk post info about Tornado in 'Preservation'.  60163 is a newly built loco, not a preservation item.

There I've done my moan.

N. Erd

It occurred to me while watching it on the news that Tornado is probably the newest motive power the passengers on the S&C have seen on that line for decades.

Coverage on the 6 o'clock news tonight was a little misleading.  This morning saw Tornado running tender first with a 67 behind.  All the coaching stock was ex Anglian green Mk2's.  The feature this evening showed a bright sunny day with Tornado without the 67, running normally with a mix of maroon and crimson/cream coaching stock. Of course it doesn't change the overall content of the story, but it annoys me when things are not reported accurately.

Needless to say, my dear lady thinks I'm a dork...... :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

Coverage on the 6 o'clock news tonight was a little misleading.  This morning saw Tornado running tender first with a 67 behind.  All the coaching stock was ex Anglian green Mk2's.  The feature this evening showed a bright sunny day with Tornado without the 67, running normally with a mix of maroon and crimson/cream coaching stock. Of course it doesn't change the overall content of the story, but it annoys me when things are not reported accurately.

Needless to say, my dear lady thinks I'm a dork...... :biggrin_mini2:

I must need to go to Sexpavers as I didn't see that on BBC1; now awaiting the Look North slot.

Phil

Tornado ? - Almost as exciting as my run on the up Thames Clyde Express, 30 July 1968, double headed Peaks D148 & D31, here seen crossing Blea Moor viaduct and departing Skipton for Leeds. North West run-about rover ticket, 7 days for £2. Last week of steam.

post-6884-0-88782700-1487098675_thumb.jpg

post-6884-0-99142300-1487098687_thumb.jpg

Glad to see the S&C will be fully back open soon, well done to all concerned.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Tornado ? - Almost as exciting as my run on the up Thames Clyde Express, 30 July 1968, double headed Peaks D148 & D31, here seen crossing Blea Moor viaduct and departing Skipton for Leeds. North West run-about rover ticket, 7 days for £2. Last week of steam.

attachicon.gif2013-01-14-15-46-14.jpg

attachicon.gif2013-01-14-15-48-45.jpg

Glad to see the S&C back open, well done to all concerned.

Brit15

7 days for £2..................good grief.

Sorry Apollo, Tornado smells nicer that double headed peaks :locomotive:

Philth.

• RMweb Premium

Having observed all four workings at Settle station today.

As far as I could tell, the northern end 3 or 4 coaches are unreserved seating and are pot-luck if you get a seat. The four coaches at the southern end are pre-sold/reserved seats.

The first southbound had plenty of seats available from Settle. The first north and second south runs were the busiest. The second north run had lots of empty seats in the first few (unreserved) coaches as Settle emptied out, just in time for folk to catch a southbound DMU back towards Skipton/Leeds.

If you want a cheap run uphill behind Tornado, then get on at Settle at about 1735 - but it will be dark. I haven't yet worked out the logistics of getting back south from intermediate stations up to Appleby........

Listening to the staff at Settle, there didn't seem to be any overcrowding issues, but that may be a different issue tomorrow due to today's media coverage.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived