Northern Rail Timetabled Steam On The S & C

There's scope for this kind of thing all over the place, though whether it would actually pay it's way is another question entirely.

I recall the mid hants used the ivatt tank for Alton to Ascot runs, presumably only for special ticket holders, but that would seem the kind of thing that could be done again.

Elsewhere on this site I've semi advocated running the Conwy valley line as a heritage tourist type service.

Scenery plus steam plus weather.

The West Highland operation works as did the Cambrian specials, though not scheduled, of course, but almost.

But then there are plenty of heritage lines around to mop up the demand for shorter journeys.

I suspect the charter market has leaned well by now what works and what doesn't, hence the shape that it's in, which appears to be more than healthy.

Back in the day, there were a number of regular (weekly and twice weekly) BR operations that were tried during the summer holidays, the Cumbrian Mountain, Cumbrian Coast and North Wales Coast.

I seem to remember turning up, on chance, and paying on the day after I had heard seats weren't selling too well on the North Wales Coast trains.

• RMweb Premium

Needs someone to take a punt on something 'different' like the Robin Hood circulars otherwise we won't know if they work or not I suppose. Bit of good marketing using Mr Hood could work wonders if targeted correctly (Nottingham is quite a lively and upbeat city with a % of population that might take to a 'fun' train trip at a good price). sadly the general population are not that fussed about train travel unless that Thomas character is involved and the cost for a family has to be reasonable. Thus it would be better perhaps to go for the 'enthusiast market' to guarantee some income, with the public at large having (say) attractive family deals like little uns go free or something? Shame the parking for the station at Nottingham is not so good (expensive/) but they could do something with Hucknall and (say) some of the other stops on the way to Worksop; perhaps a free parking ticket for train ticket holders or something?

The existing Robin Hood Festival attracts large crowds and Sherwood Forest Park is being taken over by the RSPB who will bring it up to date with investment in the next few years. What's needed is Edwinstowe Station to be rebuilt and used as a drop off place for Sherwood. (Line is NR from Shirebrook to Tuxford). 

What it really needs are Jubilees booked Leeds-Carlisle.......

Wonder why we have not had a Jub on the S & C recently (I mean before the slip) or am I missing something?

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Wonder why we have not had a Jub on the S & C recently (I mean before the slip) or am I missing something?

Phil

Leander and Galatea were regular performers on the Dalesman/Fellsman trips before the landslip.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=dalesman%20jubilee&max_taken_date=1454371199&advanced=1&min_taken_date=1420070400

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

I really hope this leads to a repeat event over the whole line in the future.

It would be so good to have some way of turning locos in the Hellifield/Skipton area, though. Would it be feasible to use the Shipley triangle, I wonder?

There are various plans to (re) install a turntable at Hellifield.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

post-2326-0-57464200-1487516266_thumb.jpg

This is one of several shots sent to my son by a friend. I think it is a superb photograph.

I am taking responsibilty for sharing it here without direct permission but would respectfully ask that no one copies it or reposts this elsewhere. Thank you.

Phil

What a wonderfully atmospheric shot.

Davey

attachicon.gif 01_DSC6295 cc17 e mob 07910962948 14th March.jpg

This is one of several shots sent to my son by a friend. I think it is a superb photograph.

I am taking responsibilty for sharing it here without direct permission but would respectfully ask that no one copies it or reposts this elsewhere. Thank you.

Phil

It's great that it was a success. I hope it can be repeated (or something similar on a different route), but how often it could be done without the publicity drive is questionable. Maybe one such event of 3 days a year on the Northern network could pay dividends.

Would there be much use to a turntable at Hellifield without one at Appleby/ Carlisle? Or is there a triangle in Carlisle?

• RMweb Premium

West Coast dug out the old turntable pit at Hellifield a few years ago but I don't know what the current state of play is.   However the Shipley triangle has been used  but not in the last few years.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Great to learn that it was a big success.

Would be nice to see something similar but with diesel - how about a deltic, a western, class 40 and class 50. No need for a turntable.

Now that would be chaos.

From experience, diesel events tend to attract a proportion of lager louts. (It may be only a few that tar everyone with the same brush - apologies for that)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Would be nice to see something similar but with diesel - how about a deltic, a western, class 40 and class 50. No need for a turntable.

If I had my pick of diesel for some S&C runs it would have to be a Peak.

• RMweb Premium

If I had my pick of diesel for some S&C runs it would have to be a Peak.

Certainly they were the regular passenger power with class 40's on freight in the 70's. They'd have to use !S68 and 1M86 as the headcodes though.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Probably OK for the 'enthusiast', however the 'novelty' of steam is what probably makes it more of an attraction for the general public.

Phil  

• RMweb Gold

Certainly they were the regular passenger power with class 40's on freight in the 70's. They'd have to use !S68 and 1M86 as the headcodes though.

Jamie

Perhaps we could run a relief, with a Jubilee, as well, along with 40 and a Black 5 or 8/9F on a freight to hide in the loops as the passenger trains went by.  Insist on everyone turning up in 60s clothing driving Cortinas or 1100s, and Hey Presto! it's 1967 again...

Archived