Jeff P's photos from the 60's.

And the more bad news......the file containing all the photos, which took me hours on Photoshop to clean up and three days to scan in before that, ...hasn't transferred over. :scratchhead:

So there will now be an interlude until I can start it all again..........sigh.

No worries, it will take that long to recover from seeing an A4 on the Uddingston-Cliffe cement train. :O

• RMweb Gold

No worries, it will take that long to recover from seeing an A4 on the Uddingston-Cliffe cement train. :O

I am told its a bit of a Tom Jones ....its not unusual!

See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107721-cemflos-cliffe-uddingston-flow-silver-queens/page-5

But bet you would get crucified if you ran such a formation at an exhibition....

Phil

Aaaaand, we're back. At least we are if I can keep up with the scanning and photoshopping, (since some negs are marked).

Anyway, here's todays offering.

post-13196-0-81686300-1486558214_thumb.jpg

Doncaster 1963 again, and while B1 61326 waits to head south, V2 60880 runs south light engine. We get a better look at the train behind 61326 and is that a Brush type 2, later class 31 in the far distance?

We have moved away from Doncaster for today's shot, although still in 1963.

post-13196-0-37640500-1486642295_thumb.jpg

Now the negatives were marked "Doncaster, Retford, Grantham".

This one, I'm unsure of, but could be near Ranskill. Not a lot to go on, but it shows A4 60025 "Falcon", and I'm not even sure in which direction it's heading?

Looking at the shadows, south?

Doncaster 1963 again, and while B1 61326 waits to head south, V2 60880 runs south light engine.

Nice photo Jeff - is that a double chimney on the V2? Apologies if it's a dumb question, but these LNER machines are a mystery to this Western lad - and if it is a Kylchap exhaust, why did the A3s need German blinkers, but the V2s didn't?

Confused of Didcot

Yes, some V2's got double chimneys and Kylchap exhausts, some were also rebuilt with a single casting for the inside cylinder and outside steam pipes, when the triple casting failed.

As to the deflectors, I'm sorry, I have no clue. The A3 had a longer overhang at the front, but apart form that, I'm in the dark.

post-13196-0-57968100-1486725022_thumb.jpg

Back to Doncaster in 1963, and Deltic, later class 55, D9001, "St Paddy",  roars through non-stop on the up main with a Pullman .

How the spotters would have been disappointed, not one of their beloved East Coast Pacifics, after seeing the signals go "green on main!"

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifJ004.jpg

The new order at Doncaster, 1963, and southbound E-E type 4, (later class 40), waits with an up train.

The passengers on the platform and the railway staff all seem interested, there appears to be a photographer with some professional looking gear too.

The loco APPEARS to be D270

I am convinced filming is in progress. Look at the ladies' and girl's dresses. Why are they standing so far up the platform? What about the businessman closer to the train? I've seen more animation in 4mm! And those porters are being immensely deferential, standing out of the way.

post-13196-0-02532000-1486815778_thumb.jpg

Still at Doncaster, 1963, and Deltic, later class 55,  D9005, as yet un-named, appears to be moving back onto a train in platform 4.

The men in front were litter pickers, no hi-viz in sight.

post-13196-0-43323200-1486899177_thumb.jpg

Now we have moved to Grantham, still in 1963, and we see BR 9F 92142 built at Crewe in 1957, so only six years old at best, awaiting the road north.

It was a New England loco all it's life, luckily somone has cleaned up the number a bit so it's more easily identified. She was withdrawn less than two years later. And we thought they'd last for ever.......

Today we are back at the spot someone tentatively identified as just north of Stoke Tunnel opening, with two shots, one going away.

post-13196-0-46046500-1486981354_thumb.jpg

In this one, an English Electric type 4, later class 40, hauls an express northwards.

post-13196-0-11070200-1486981364_thumb.jpg

And here, A3 60107, "Royal Lancer" is in charge of an up train.

Judging by the abundance of ox-eye daisys, or as we called them, "moon-pennies", it's late spring to early summer

Given that, 60107 has around four months before withdrawal on 1st september, Grantham shed closed one week later.

60107 was cut up with almost unseemly haste at the plant, 4/10/63, only five weeks after withdrawal.

Possible best bet, short cutting between Mileposts 102 1/2 and 102 3/4 North of Great Ponton. The three lines visible are Down Main, Up Main and Up Goods. The photographer's location is nearly, but not quite exactly the same as in Post 30 but the angle is different. So the bracket Distant signal could be the Great Ponton Up Goods Distant. A signalling pundit might be able to nail that one.

The source for this idea is the 1970s large-scale OS of the 1970s. I tried looking for such a cutting on a straight stretch of the triple track on the route between High Dyke and Grantham. The cutting found has the trees on the Down side bank, but there is a problem. The map shows no such trees anywhere west of the railway boundary on the Up side. Neither does the early 1900s OS of the same area and the same spot.

Better luck for anyone who has a helicopter!

post-13196-0-96202900-1487070374_thumb.jpg

Grantham again, 1963, and A3 60054, "Prince of Wales", enters from the north, light engine.

She was a Grantham engine at this point, but would be transferred to Doncaster in a little over four months when Grantham shed closed.

She was withdrawn and condemned  from New England shed in late June 1964.

She gained her German type smoke deflectors in March 1962 at her last General overhaul.

She was cut up at Kings of Norwich in August 1964.

Last two from Grantham in 1963, the diesels have arrived.

post-13196-0-45610600-1487152470_thumb.jpg

Deltic D9012 "Crepello" brings an up express into Grantham

post-13196-0-25686000-1487152484_thumb.jpg

Now is this a Class 46? In those days they were all "Peaks" anyway. Again, an up express, I can't make out the loco number.

• RMweb Gold

Last two from Grantham in 1963, the diesels have arrived.

attachicon.gifimg017.jpg

Deltic D9012 "Crepello" brings an up express into Grantham

attachicon.gifimg018.jpg

Now is this a Class 46? In those days they were all "Peaks" anyway. Again, an up express, I can't make out the loco number.

Hi Jeff

You are correct! Its a 46 - at the time of your photos the only locos with a solid central headcode as per the loco in your photo were the D174 - D193 batch - others were converted to that layout as they went through works starting 1965.

Possibly D185?

This site is a mine of info: http://www.derbysulzers.com/45headcode.html

The only consistent factor throughout the life of the locos were the battery boxes - class 45s had a cross formed in them, class 46 were plain. Other factors such as plated over boiler room grilles and triangular grille under long bodyside grille were not consistent within or between class 45 or 46.

Smashing photos - many thanks for sharing

Phil

For today's photos we have moved south the Watford Junction, I am uncertain of the date, but early 60's is my guess.

post-13196-0-32030900-1487235998_thumb.jpg

Jubilee 4565? brings a down freight through Watford.

I have tried hard, but cannot read the last number. It appears most likely to be a 4, but that loco was allocated to Sheffield Millhouses at this point in time, so seems unlikely?  Edited to say, could be 45634, "Trinidad" which was a Crewe South loco at the time, thanks to brushman for the info.

post-13196-0-04562500-1487236028_thumb.jpg

This one is easier: Britannia 70032 "Tennyson" brings another freight from the south. At this point the loco was allocated to 1A, Willesden shed.

I apologise for the view point, the photographer seems to have liked it for Watford.

For today's photos we have moved south the Watford Junction, I am uncertain of the date, but early 60's is my guess.

attachicon.gifimg021.jpg

This one is easier: Britannia 70032 "Tennyson" brings another freight from the south. At this point the loco was allocated to 1A, Willesden shed.

I apologise for the view point, the photographer seems to have liked it for Watford.

As is my habit, I looked to see what was behind the loco..

There are a couple of wagons loaded with 'Speedfreight' containers, the interim design between the classic type and the first Freightliners. Then there are some classic A-type, followed by some more of the 'Speedfreight' boxes. These are followed by a brake van; I'm not sure if there is anything after that. If there isn't, then it's a nice short formation, a sort of mini-'Condor'.

Lovely photos - on the 'is it a 46' discussion - I thought all 46's had an extra lower bodyside grille in the middle of the body whereas the one in the photo doesn't have one - that was certainly the case in blue diesel days - unless it was different in the early days? - I agree re the battery boxes although they are difficult to see properly in the photo......

....keep these photos coming........

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimg019.jpg

Jubilee 4565? brings a down freight through Watford.

I have tried hard, but cannot read the last number. It appears most likely to be a 4, but that loco was allocated to Sheffield Millhouses at this point in time, so seems unlikely?

Super photos, please keep them coming Jeff. This one looks to me more like 45634. Allocated to Crewe South in 1963.

As is my habit, I looked to see what was behind the loco..

There are a couple of wagons loaded with 'Speedfreight' containers, the interim design between the classic type and the first Freightliners. Then there are some classic A-type, followed by some more of the 'Speedfreight' boxes. These are followed by a brake van; I'm not sure if there is anything after that. If there isn't, then it's a nice short formation, a sort of mini-'Condor'.

Agreed, very nice to see those Speedfreight containers. But not associated with Condor. The original Speedfreight were carried on lightly altered Conflat A with no floor and modified container locking arrangement.

Paul

A couple more from watford Junction, today.

post-13196-0-96492300-1487330861_thumb.jpg

Standard Class 5 73004 appears to be reversing, and hold little interest for the two spotters taking their rest on a platform barrow.

post-13196-0-98626200-1487330878_thumb.jpg

Standard Class 5 73004 has now been attached to the front of a train to the north, and is awaiting the right away. Watford shed, 1C, can be seen in the background.

73004 was allocated to Willesden at this point in time, and lasted to October 1967. She was cut up at Cashmores, Newport five months later.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimg024.jpg

Standard Class 5 73004 has now been attached to the front of a train to the north, and is awaiting the right away. Watford shed, 1C, can be seen in the background.

73004 was allocated to Willesden at this point in time, and lasted to October 1967. She was cut up at Cashmores, Newport five months later.

The front coach behind 73004 looks plain and unlined, so could it in BR(S) Green and coming off the SR? The loading information positioned just above the solebar suggests a BSK rather than a BG.

Archived