Jeff P's photos from the 60's.

Doncaster 1962 again.

attachicon.gifimg050.jpg

Britannia 70011 "Hotspur" is waiting the off from platform 4 with an up express.

Britannias were not common on the ECML at this time, although they did see some use. At this date, "Hotspur" was a March engine, so may have been on a train to the SE, Cambridge, Colchester etc, maybe even Norwich?

Depending on the time of year; probably the Newcastle - Colchester.

Depending on the time of year; probably the Newcastle - Colchester.

A visit to Carr loco often found two or three Britannias at this date, of which one maybe awaiting entry to the Plant, and one ex-works. The third would be in steam and would go onto the front of a train into East Anglia, or had just come off one.

I remember one vist when 70007/9/11/35/36/41 were all on shed.

70038 was on the SCRAP line at the Plant, to our horror...but the guide explained it was stored awaiting a space in the Crimpsall for a Heavy General.

post-13196-0-88342600-1488715244_thumb.jpg

Teenaged spotters take a rest on Doncaster's platform 4, 1962.

The early 60's very much in view: one in a cowboy hat, no winklepickers or chisel shoes and one with a pair of those sandals with punched holes and buckled straps, on.

post-13196-0-24829300-1488715270_thumb.jpg

The fireman of A1 60118 "Archibald Sturrock" checks back down the train, as another up express awaits the off from platform 4.

Built at the nd of 1948, 60118 was still a 56C Copley Hill loco at this point in time, she was withdrawn and condemned from that shed in October of 1965. I don't have details of disposal.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't believe do gooders like Jamie Oliver and the like about kids diets of the past being terrible

Having seen this I now agree with him.

It must have been awful half this group of kids have just dropped dead, there must have been dead kids everywhere,must have stunk. All becouse of lard....

I didn't believe do gooders like Jamie Oliver and the like about kids diets of the past being terrible

Having seen this I now agree with him.

It must have been awful half this group of kids have just dropped dead, there must have been dead kids everywhere,must have stunk. All becouse of lard....

Thing was, we certainly didn't over-eat. Snacking was unknown. I certainly couldn't afford chocolate bars, crisps or sweets.

post-13196-0-47783100-1488796214_thumb.jpg

Same day, 1962, Doncaster, and the spotters are interested as the driver of Peppercorn A1 60139 "Sea Eagle" backs his loco down onto a train for the capital.

60139 shows the smooth sided Darlington-build tender to good effect, and appears to be well kept and with a good supply of coal, raked well forwards for ease of use.

Built in December of 1948, she was new to 34A King's cross loco, wearing LNER apple green livery.

By the time of the photo she was a 36A Doncaster loco, and would be withdrawn less than two years later in June of 1964, being cut up in 1965 by Cox and Danks of Wadsley Bridge.

I lived on them when doing my railrovers along with pints of cold milk from the milk machines which were to be found at most large stations..

Pints? The ones I remember provided something much smaller - third or quarter of a pint maybe?

• RMweb Gold

Still at Doncaster, 1962.

post-13196-0-95612600-1488879680_thumb.jpg

post-13196-0-07661100-1488879693_thumb.jpg

A couple of views of Peppercorn A1 60144 "Kings Courrier", another Doncaster stalwart, and one that provoked sighs from the spotters hoping for something a bit more exotic. One of Doncaster's j50 0-6-0's can be seen in the background of the second photo. We called them "coffee pots" due to the tank shape.

60144 was built at Darlington in early 1949, going into traffic at Doncaster 36A in LNER apple green. She was withdrawn from the same shed, (although she had had other allocations during her lifetime), at the end of April 1963, after a lifetime of only 14 years two months. She went into the Plant for her last visit second week in May of 1963.

Great set of Donny photos Jeff.... kids today, don't know they're born etc etc! Lounging about on platform ends was an innocent joy probably never to be repeated today, your pics remind me of similarly happy days spent at the country end of platform 5 at Reading in the '70s, legs draped over the edge, with bags of crisps, Mars bars and Ian Allan Locoshed books scattered all around, by and large nobody seemed to mind.

Sigh....!

Sadly, train spotting was destroyed by a few irresponsible media types, notably DJ's and presenters, who portrayed it as the hobby of the mindless and "anoraks".

Quite why they did so, is beyond me. But they were part of a time where, if you didn't understand something, it was OK to attack it.

I'm sure that attitude of "if you don't understand it - attack it" still persists today, although it seems to have drifted towards sexuality, religion and disability; but it is still bullying and cruel whatever the perpetrators may parrot about being "just a bit of banter".

I have to say that I was never a spotter; the only time I noted down engine numbers was in my guard's journal, along with weight, number of wagons, speed restrictions, etc. I just never saw the point. I was though always interested in (obsessed with...!) railways to the extent of causing my parents some concern.

I could watch a humble tanky bouncing wagons back and forth for hours, but if asked later could not say what its number was. My vantage point was Bankhall Lane, Liverpool, at the top end of which the wall was just low enough for a four years old boy tosee over. My Mother took me every week to see my grandmother, who lived off Bankhall Lane. We would stop at the above spot, and after ten minutes or so trying to get me to move, would eventually give up and continue on her way, telling me, "Come along when you're ready." Needless to say, that time never came, and a couple of hours later she would find me again on her way home. There then followed a further time lapse until I coulds be persuaded to move! Imagine a parent doing that today. Different times indeed.

But that was a personal point of view and I've never said anything derogatory about spotters. Ironically, I'm now very dependent on such people and their notebooks from all those years ago in building up the archives for the SMF and 8F Society. Strange how things work out, is it not?

attachicon.gifimg054.jpg

Same day, 1962, Doncaster, and the spotters are interested as the driver of Peppercorn A1 60139 "Sea Eagle" backs his loco down onto a train for the capital.

60139 shows the smooth sided Darlington-build tender to good effect, and appears to be well kept and with a good supply of coal, raked well forwards for ease of use.

Built in December of 1948, she was new to 34A King's cross loco, wearing LNER apple green livery.

By the time of the photo she was a 36A Doncaster loco, and would be withdrawn less than two years later in June of 1964, being cut up in 1965 by Cox and Danks of Wadsley Bridge.

The coal looks to be very well loaded in the tender, is it out of gauge??

Bill

Still at doncaster in 1962.

post-13196-0-17510400-1488968336_thumb.jpg

Here, York's A2/3 60515 "Sunstream", in typical York condition, heads a down express through Doncaster as the works clock stands at 3.20 pm. A very young enthusiast on platform 5 is watching closely, and some interesting coaching stock is on view.

60515 was built at Doncaster in 1946, designed by Edward Thompson. Love 'em or hate 'em, they had presence. She went into service at Heaton, before moving to Gateshead in 1952 and almost immediately to 50A York, where she stayed until withdrawal, which came a mere five months after the photo was taken. She was cut up at the Plant, after a service life of only sixteen years one month.

post-13196-0-10023800-1488968351_thumb.jpg

Close up of the front end of Peppercorn A2 60533 "Happy Knight", as she waits for the right away with an up express from platform 1 at Doncaster. The multiple valve regulator linkage can be seen to good effect.

60533 was built at Doncaster in 1948, going into service at New England Peterborough shed. During her 15 year and 2 month service life, she had no fewer than fifteen changes of allocation, including spending one week at Annesley in July of 1950, where she was used for gauging with a view to using A2's on the GCR route. Since A2's were never actually used on that route, one must believe the tests were negative. That many allocation changes leads one to believe she may not have been a reliable loco?

She entered the plant for her last visit Monday 2nd September 1963, only one year after her last visit for a heavy general including boiler change.

Nice one. I always think that to actually know the time of a photo brings you somehow closer to reality. I used to have a series of books about Yorkshire Steam, and one had a photo of a loco leaving, I think Edinburgh, where the time on the town hall clock could be seen. I found it quite atmospheric.

attachicon.gifimg057.jpg

Teenaged spotters take a rest on Doncaster's platform 4, 1962.

The early 60's very much in view: one in a cowboy hat, no winklepickers or chisel shoes and one with a pair of those sandals with punched holes and buckled straps, on.

attachicon.gifimg053.jpg

The fireman of A1 60118 "Archibald Sturrock" checks back down the train, as another up express awaits the off from platform 4.

Built at the nd of 1948, 60118 was still a 56C Copley Hill loco at this point in time, she was withdrawn and condemned from that shed in October of 1965. I don't have details of disposal.

Nice to see that pic of 60118. Reminded me of this later pic of the loco at Newcastle Central taken on August Bank Holiday 1965. The loco was about to work a Newcastle - Edinburgh 'stopping' train. At this time steam hauled passenger trains at Newcastle were very rare.

post-7898-0-86082000-1488974322_thumb.jpg

Archived