Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

Although not clear from the photo the logos look to have the map artwork on them which will be a really good effort on Dapols part to include. It certainly getting closer from that image.

Mark

Yes, it does include the map artwork as discussed before...So your assumptions are spot on

Forgive me if this has been covered way back in the thread somewhere, but have Dapol indicated that the lighting set up for the 68 will cary the very distinctive strobing effect from its LED headlights, or will this have to done through a DCC chip, as is an option in American chips?

John

• RMweb Premium

Forgive me if this has been covered way back in the thread somewhere, but have Dapol indicated that the lighting set up for the 68 will cary the very distinctive strobing effect from its LED headlights, or will this have to done through a DCC chip, as is an option in American chips?

John

The strobe effect is only apparent on videos of the loco, it doesn't have a 'strobe' setting in the cab on the real thing

I have been informed by Dapol staff on the website that the halo lighting on the Class 68s will be replicated on the models. I have also been informed that the models will feature working directional lighting and cab lighting which can be controlled via a switch.

So yes all three lighted areas on the loco are replicated on the models.

They are going to be fantastic models.

If you go onto the Dapol website you can set up an account on their digest which allows you to see the progress of the Class 68 models. There are photos and information provided by Dapol staff and if you have an account you can post comments.

The Dapol digest and the Class 68 models are and are going to be fantastic.

• Like 1

I have been informed by Dapol staff on the website that the halo lighting on the Class 68s will be replicated on the models. I have also been informed that the models will feature working directional lighting and cab lighting which can be controlled via a switch.

So yes all three lighted areas on the loco are replicated on the models.

They are going to be fantastic models.

If you go onto the Dapol website you can set up an account on their digest which allows you to see the progress of the Class 68 models. There are photos and information provided by Dapol staff and if you have an account you can post comments.

The Dapol digest and the Class 68 models are and are going to be fantastic.

Interesting that just about every video I've seen of a 68 from just about every angle shows the strobing type effect. I am curious as to why this effect is used. It will be interesting to see how Dapol replicate this.

John

That's because video equipment picks up the flash rate of LEDs, which the human eye can't see.

t's exactly the same with videos of cars with daylight running lights looking like they flash.

It's a human eye issue rather than a loco function.

Alistair

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that just about every video I've seen of a 68 from just about every angle shows the strobing type effect. I am curious as to why this effect is used. It will be interesting to see how Dapol replicate this.

John

The strobe lighting effect you see is down to frame rate on digital cameras catching LED flash rates I believe. If you look at a real 68 with your eye there is no strobe effect at all. 

EDIT: Alistair beat me to it. 

Edited by 071

• RMweb Premium

John

Yes I am looking forward to seeing how Dapol replicate the halo lighting.

As far as I know no photos of the lighting have been published by Dapol as of yet.

I'm really looking forward to buying one of these model Class 68 locos, I wish to buy the Scotrail liveried one as my next N Gauge layout is set in the Edinburgh area.

I also hope that when the locos are released sometime next year I've heard, hopefully we will also see the sight of the same liveried coaches to form a prototypical train?

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

The delay was due to the DRS livery being a nightmare to get right.

I'm sure you would prefer it to be delayed and be right, rather than rushed and wrong.

This has now been sorted and will be going into production by the end of the month.

Plus at least you are not waiting for the N gauge one, we have to wait until the 00 model has finished its production run before the tooling is even started.

Alistair

Edited by alibuchan

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reading all sorts (as no doubt most others have) regarding revisions to prices given brexit/fall in pound value. I was hearing that Dapol were going to uplift their RRP very soon by x % like Hornby? Does anyone know any more on this? I assume it will very much affect this loco if so?

I wonder if you put in a (maybe risky if there turn out to major issues with the model) pre-order in if you will beat this rise or if the retailer will just reject your pre-order at the old price and ask you to cough up more?

I think pre-order with DCC ready the best prices seem to be about £120 mark. If the price increase reflects the fall in the pound vs USD since brexit we could be seeing rises of maybe £25 I guess? Yikes!  :O

I was also told the loco might debut for sale at Warley by someone (in no way connected with Dapol) so not sure if theres any truth in that.

Edited by sanspareil

• RMweb Premium

I have been reading all sorts (as no doubt most others have) regarding revisions to prices given brexit/fall in pound value. I was hearing that Dapol were going to uplift their RRP very soon by x % like Hornby? Does anyone know any more on this? I assume it will very much affect this loco if so?

I wonder if you put in a (maybe risky if there turn out to major issues with the model) pre-order in if you will beat this rise or if the retailer will just reject your pre-order at the old price and ask you to cough up more?

I think pre-order with DCC ready the best prices seem to be about £120 mark. If the price increase reflects the fall in the pound vs USD since brexit we could be seeing rises of maybe £25 I guess? Yikes!  :O

I was also told the loco might debut for sale at Warley by someone (in no way connected with Dapol) so not sure if theres any truth in that.

I don't think that the first batch of OO Gauge Class 68s will be for sale at Warley.

The first batch of OO Gauge Class 68s are due into stock in December 2016/January 2017.

I'm really hoping that they will be here for Christmas but if not never mind, waiting another couple/few weeks won't matter.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

• RMweb Premium

Update: Just looked at the Dapol Digest and the approval for production for the DRS livery has now been passed and production has been scheduled for later this year.

I think the ScotRail and Chiltern liveries were passed for production earlier which means that all three liveries for the first batch have now been passed for production.

I very much doubt that they will be here in time for Christmas now. January/February 2017 has been suggested and I agree.

Hope this helps.

• RMweb Premium

Jan/Feb is what I gathered from the Dapol Digest, TBH I'm happy that Dapol and DRS took there time with the loco, they seemed to have hit the nail on the head with the DRS 68's. Luckily I ordered myself two of them.

:jester:

Ben

I completely agree. I would rather wait longer and have the liveries correct than them be rushed and be incorrect.

There have been at least four if not five samples if not more of the DRS livery so it shows that a lot of time and effort has been put into it to ensure that it's correct.

Really looking forward to them arriving now and then further Class 68s been released.