Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to be picky but... there is one little issue that might annoy me. There's what appears to be a molding for a nameplate for the DRS liveried ones - fine for those, but as none of the Chiltern Fleet carry names yet, does look a little odd. I still wouldn't mind one in DRS though!

• RMweb Premium

I don't want to be picky but... there is one little issue that might annoy me. There's what appears to be a molding for a nameplate for the DRS liveried ones - fine for those, but as none of the Chiltern Fleet carry names yet, does look a little odd. I still wouldn't mind one in DRS though!

Dapol have used early EP samples for the Scotrail and Chiltern livery versions. Pretty certain that they have said that the nameplate moulding will not be on the production models. (Goes to try and find the article)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure they're nicknamed skips, or at least the person that came into the shop the other day asking about the "Dapol Skips" thought so, after I had to ask again so I knew what he was on about...   :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

I'm pretty sure they're nicknamed skips, or at least the person that came into the shop the other day asking about the "Dapol Skips" thought so, after I had to ask again so I knew what he was on about...   :locomotive:

67s are commonly referred to as skips - as they resemble one upside down.

I've heard the 68s called super skips as they are a development of the 67 design - they are both from the same factory in Valencia

"Cat" or "Big cat" has been used because of the Caterpillar engine and mildly cat-like appearance.

As they're supposedly a go-anywhere, do anything loco, "Transit" is another -  as they look like the latest Ford Transit.

And there's probably more.

Cheers,

Mick

67s are commonly referred to as skips - as they resemble one upside down.

I've heard the 68s called super skips as they are a development of the 67 design - they are both from the same factory in Valencia

"Cat" or "Big cat" has been used because of the Caterpillar engine and mildly cat-like appearance.

As they're supposedly a go-anywhere, do anything loco, "Transit" is another -  as they look like the latest Ford Transit.

And there's probably more.

Cheers,

Mick

One a heard was 'War-skip', given the class has a likeness to both the 42 'Warships' and the 67 'Skips'.

• RMweb Premium

One a heard was 'War-skip', given the class has a likeness to both the 42 'Warships' and the 67 'Skips'.

Forgot that one. The Warskip reference is also because of the series of names that are "mostly" of warship origin.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...