Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

No we don't otherwise all we will end up with is 68's, no variety.

Actually you're right, I take that back as it will become very boring...maybe I'm pissed because my beautiful RE Vitrains Northern Belle 47's were made obsolete by the 57's, yes I do have the NB 57 from Bachmann.

There's a reason why I only have one DB/EWS model, yes you guessed it is a...wait for it...a Class 66.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I also have 305 and 312 but I bought these from R3Sprays as resprays in December 2015.

This was before Bachmann announced 305. Slightly gutted now because I paid £220 each for the resprays when the Bachmann 305 are £130 each. Not to worry though because you can't even tell that they are resprays just like the two above. They look like they are standard Bachmann models.

I also have 790 and 832 in Northern Belle livery and I also feel that they are now obsolete because I have bought the new 57/3s as well. I will definitley feel that they are obsolete if/when 68s are outshopped in Northern Belle livery in reality and then modelled by Dapol. We would then have three generations of Northern Belle locos :no: 

However I use 790 and 832 on the Norwich short set sometimes or on flasks and not only on the Northern Belle. My 305 and 312 models either work the Belle, flasks or the Mountsorrel ballast job. Although now I have six 68s I am planning on changing the traction for some of the trains.

I also have 305 and 312 but I bought these from R3Sprays as resprays in December 2015.

This was before Bachmann announced 305. Slightly gutted now because I paid £220 each for the resprays when the Bachmann 305 are £130 each. Not to worry though because you can't even tell that they are resprays just like the two above. They look like they are standard Bachmann models.

I also have 790 and 832 in Northern Belle livery and I also feel that they are now obsolete because I have bought the new 57/3s as well. I will definitley feel that they are obsolete if/when 68s are outshopped in Northern Belle livery in reality and then modelled by Dapol. We would then have three generations of Northern Belle locos :no:

However I use 790 and 832 on the Norwich short set sometimes or on flasks and not only on the Northern Belle. My 305 and 312 models either work the Belle, flasks or the Mountsorrel ballast job. Although now I have six 68s I am planning on changing the traction for some of the trains.

I'll end up with 3 generations of Northern Belle loco's as well but it doesn't matter, I model from 2012 onwards so I'll just change it whenever it suits.

Thus 2012 to late 2015 will be my Vitrains RE 47's and then from 2016 onwards the Bachmann NB 57's, but 57305 did top'n'tail with 47790 for a bit.

• RMweb Premium

I'll end up with 3 generations of Northern Belle loco's as well but it doesn't matter, I model from 2012 onwards so I'll just change it whenever it suits.

Thus 2012 to late 2015 will be my Vitrains RE 47's and then from 2016 onwards the Bachmann NB 57's, but 57305 did top'n'tail with 47790 for a bit.

I'm the same really. It does feel a bit strange though having four Northern Belle liveried locos on the layout at the moment. It's good though because if I have one pair out of service on repairs/exams I can use the other pair. Although last year some other DRS Class 47s and 57/3s featured on my Northern Belle trains.

I may have to replicate 790 and 305 working the Belle. Not sure if I have replicated that yet with those two specific locos.

Hopefully as Dapol produce more DRS liveried 68s I can have them working the Belle occasionally too as they have in reality.

• Like 1

I'm the same really. It does feel a bit strange though having four Northern Belle liveried locos on the layout at the moment. It's good though because if I have one pair out of service on repairs/exams I can use the other pair. Although last year some other DRS Class 47s and 57/3s featured on my Northern Belle trains.

I may have to replicate 790 and 305 working the Belle. Not sure if I have replicated that yet with those two specific locos.

Hopefully as Dapol produce more DRS liveried 68s I can have them working the Belle occasionally too as they have in reality.

To me especially the RE Vitrains with Chetter's Class 47 sound project are collector items thus would never sell those off so I don't mind having the later NB 57's as well and maybe some time in the future the NB 68's...I just love my loco's...

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

To me especially the RE Vitrains with Chetter's Class 47 sound project are collector items thus would never sell those off so I don't mind having the later NB 57's as well and maybe some time in the future the NB 68's...I just love my loco's...

I'm completely the same. I bought 790, 810, 813, 832 and 853 from Rail Exclusive and I have already decided that I am never going to sell them because like you say they are practically collectors items. They are very nice and the liveries suit them well. They work really well on the short set and I am currently in the process of adding a second short set that could see another pair of 47s at Norwich and possibly some 68s. I really like DRS because of the variety of traction. Just about anything goes. Not to mention all of the different liveries. We are big DRS fans :no: 

I'm completely the same. I bought 790, 810, 813, 832 and 853 from Rail Exclusive and I have already decided that I am never going to sell them because like you say they are practically collectors items. They are very nice and the liveries suit them well. They work really well on the short set and I am currently in the process of adding a second short set that could see another pair of 47s at Norwich and possibly some 68s. I really like DRS because of the variety of traction. Just about anything goes. Not to mention all of the different liveries. We are big DRS fans :no:

Yep have all 5 DRS RE Vitrains 47's with sound, best purchase I have had since coming into model railway back in 2014.

Currently have 13 DRS loco's comprising of 37's (x3), 47's (x5), 57's (x2) & 68's (x3) with further more added later in the year when Bachmann & Dapol do their releases including the John Scott DRS 47 from Bachmann which is the rep limited edition, looking forward to that one.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Come on DRS crewe, stop tantalising us with lists of locos you have bought we want to see photos!!

(Not that I don't believe you have them or anything but you claim to have bought pretty much the whole Bachmann modern image back catalog over the last couple of years but are reluctant to share them with us!!)

Come on DRS crewe, stop tantalising us with lists of locos you have bought we want to see photos!!

(Not that I don't believe you have them or anything but you claim to have bought pretty much the whole Bachmann modern image back catalog over the last couple of years but are reluctant to share them with us!!)

Big Jim, secretly my Colas fleet is steadily growing in size as I love the livery and their choice of traction alongside DRS, but to be honest how long can DRS/Colas go on with operating heritage traction and just end up being like DB/EWS & GBRf where they mainly consist of boring Class 66's...DRS are now flooding their fleet with 68's and probably 88's and selling off their 37's and 47's which is a bit of a shame but all down to creating profit and efficiency.

Edited by classy52

Big Jim, secretly my Colas fleet is steadily growing in size as I love the livery and their choice of traction alongside DRS, but to be honest how long can DRS/Colas go on with operating heritage traction and just end up being like DB/EWS & GBRf where they mainly consist of boring Class 66's...DRS are now flooding their fleet with 68's and probably 88's and selling off their 37's and 47's which is a bit of a shame but all down to creating profit and efficiency.

Well that's what happens when your older fleet gets no where near the mid 90s % fleet availability. Personally, I love a class 66. Yes they might be mundane and common on the freight scene now, but then they are really hard grafters and really reliable. They are true workhorses and often unloved by those that wear tinted glasses or others that follow the usual recital of heritage traction being proper engines. I don't know of how many 20 year old diesel enthusiasts I see chase around for a class 37, 47, Deltic, etc in BR blue when they haven't grown up with them really and instead just spout the lines out of a magazine that's aimed at an older generation. And while a 37, 47, etc are good machines when given some TLC its progress and evolution that lead to class 66 and really people should make their own minds up. I don't doubt that some will prefer a class 37, over a 66 anyway, but its obvious that many do and say such stuff to fit in - but that's true of any mass interest, like football, F1, etc

68s are showing that some modern designs can have the shape, power and appearance to be equally impressive, but a 66 is not a bad machine.  

• Like 2

Y

Well that's what happens when your older fleet gets no where near the mid 90s % fleet availability. Personally, I love a class 66. Yes they might be mundane and common on the freight scene now, but then they are really hard grafters and really reliable. They are true workhorses and often unloved by those that wear tinted glasses or others that follow the usual recital of heritage traction being proper engines. I don't know of how many 20 year old diesel enthusiasts I see chase around for a class 37, 47, Deltic, etc in BR blue when they haven't grown up with them really and instead just spout the lines out of a magazine that's aimed at an older generation. And while a 37, 47, etc are good machines when given some TLC its progress and evolution that lead to class 66 and really people should make their own minds up. I don't doubt that some will prefer a class 37, over a 66 anyway, but its obvious that many do and say such stuff to fit in - but that's true of any mass interest, like football, F1, etc

68s are showing that some modern designs can have the shape, power and appearance to be equally impressive, but a 66 is not a bad machine.  

Yep fair points and personally I have my fair share of 66's in model form and agree they are the workhorses of the modern day railway and will feature heavily on my future layout when I get around to starting it, I have just restricted my purchases of 66's to unique limited edition runs or liveries which are quite colourful sitting on my shelf atm.

Too be honest I love British traction overall and love the way the Brits from the spectator, modeler and right up to the CEO of Freight/Infrastructure Companies who have the same passion for the railway which has grown on me quite considerably even though I am Australian and really only have known the scene since 2012 when I re-settled here, previously lived here from the late 80's to 2000 but didn't really take much notice of the railway scene.

Anyway, I actually have a vague but a fond memory of standing on a platform at Wimbledon station in 1990 waiting for my train to Waterloo during a bleak winter's morning and it was snowing heavily with the trains being severely delayed and just standing there watching a Class 50 slowly rock up and sat idling at the platform for ages with it's rake of NSE coaches...snow, diesel rumble and fumes...classic.

Now everyone knows my nationality and brief history...please be gentle.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well that's what happens when your older fleet gets no where near the mid 90s % fleet availability.

And not really surprising as 37s and 47s are fifty-plus years old and should have been out of service some time in the 1990s if all had gone to plan. What we have today is the equivalent of seeing the odd Sandringham 4-6-0 knocking round in large logo blue and really quite strange when you think about it.
  • Like 1

Y

Yep fair points and personally I have my fair share of 66's in model form and agree they are the workhorses of the modern day railway and will feature heavily on my future layout when I get around to starting it, I have just restricted my purchases of 66's to unique limited edition runs or liveries which are quite colourful sitting on my shelf atm.

Too be honest I love British traction overall and love the way the Brits from the spectator, modeler and right up to the CEO of Freight/Infrastructure Companies who have the same passion for the railway which has grown on me quite considerably even though I am Australian and really only have known the scene since 2012 when I re-settled here, previously lived here from the late 80's to 2000 but didn't really take much notice of the railway scene.

Anyway, I actually have a vague but a fond memory of standing on a platform at Wimbledon station in 1990 waiting for my train to Waterloo during a bleak winter's morning and it was snowing heavily with the trains being severely delayed and just standing there watching a Class 50 slowly rock up and sat idling at the platform for ages with it's rake of NSE coaches...snow, diesel rumble and fumes...classic.

Now everyone knows my nationality and brief history...please be gentle.

Hey mate it wasn't a dig at you. Your equally entitled to an opinion. Its more a case at a load of others who spout the same stuff all the time, without thinking what they say. A lot of what your saying obviously comes from experiences you've seen. So glad your having fun and got your own choice and opinion.

Meanwhile, 68002 is getting chipped with sound too to go with 68019 which is done. Ready for the Shildon show in June - where DRS run locomotive stock in the North East! Theres even 37's on that job too.

• Like 1

Hey mate it wasn't a dig at you. Your equally entitled to an opinion. Its more a case at a load of others who spout the same stuff all the time, without thinking what they say. A lot of what your saying obviously comes from experiences you've seen. So glad your having fun and got your own choice and opinion.

Meanwhile, 68002 is getting chipped with sound too to go with 68019 which is done. Ready for the Shildon show in June - where DRS run locomotive stock in the North East! Theres even 37's on that job too.

I know mate and didn't take it that way, compared to most of you guys I am quite raw and learning all the time about modern British traction and too be honest have zero interest in model Steam but marvel at them when visiting a Heritage Railway Line.

I am pretty much only into todays railway freight/infrastructure traction but starting to get an interest into earlier BR days but with the amount I spend on model railways that will stay in the back of my mind for some time to come, would love to come to Shildon in June but my biggest issue is living in South London thus getting to the shows anywhere north of Watford becomes an issue especially with the amount time it takes to get around from where I am.

Which layout will your DRS loco's be running on in June?

Btw love your Railway Photography website...top photos :sungum:

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep have all 5 DRS RE Vitrains 47's with sound, best purchase I have had since coming into model railway back in 2014.

Currently have 13 DRS loco's comprising of 37's (x3), 47's (x5), 57's (x2) & 68's (x3) with further more added later in the year when Bachmann & Dapol do their releases including the John Scott DRS 47 from Bachmann which is the rep limited edition, looking forward to that one.

That's brilliant. I really like these five 47s. The prices were quite cheap and reasonable too considering that they are all Limited Editions. I am also hopefully going to buy DRS Compass 47805 when it's released. That will be another nice loco to add to the fleet.

You're right. I do need to set up my own thread on here. The only reason why I haven't is because I am not a modeller as such I just have a layout, with track down, with painted baseboards. I just don't have the time for modelling as such and I am just grateful to run the locos. I started off originally modelling Leeds Midland Road with Freightliner locos. But since I built this new layout a year and a half ago I decided to have Crewe Gresty Bridge as the depot because I had a lot more DRS locos than Freightliner already at this point. I will definitely find some time to set up a thread and add some photos and captions. Thank you for all of the support Jim. Very much appreciated.

I agree with Jim do you have a layout thread? That would be quite a spectacular diesel depot scene with that lot.

Cheers

Mark

Thank you for all of the support. I really appreciate it. I will definitely set up a layout thread. The layout is pretty basic at the moment and mainly consists of the baseboards, track and locos and stock but as suggested it must be worthy of it's own thread by now.

This is good to hear. At the moment I currently have no Colas locos. But I have big plans for big changes regarding this in the next year or so. I have had one Colas loco previously but unfortunately I sold it. This was ViTrains 47739. I really wish that I had kept it now and modified the couplings. What Colas locos do you currently have?

I think that the cost of overhauls is a big factor regarding the older DRS traction. I am sure that Network Rail provide funds to overhaul the 20/3s for the RHTT season but that's because they are required for the Yorkshire RHTTs. The likes of the 37/6s and 47s that are not really used on RHTTs therefore won't get the funds off of Network Rail to overhaul them. Overhauls for these locos would cost an absolute fortune meaning that it isn't financially viable to overhaul them. Especially considering that Colas now have their own fleet of 37s for NR test trains. They no longer require the hiring of DRS locos. Flask trains are now mainly in the hands of other overhauled 37s, 66s and more recently 68s. I agree it's a shame that the 47s have now been sold and the 37s are slowly either been sold on or scrapped but they have served their purpose and have been very useful to DRS when expanding and developing in previous years.

I'm not sure. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens.

I just really hope that the 68s operating TPE services are modelled by Dapol in DRS livery. If Dapol decide to model them in TPE livery it will restrict what wagons and stock that we can use with them to just the CAF MK5s. It would be nice if 68016-68025 were all modelled in DRS livery, 68026 and 68027 in the basic livery and 68028 upwards in TPE livery.

That would make everyone happy because it would mean that all three liveries would be available to buy in model form from the later batches of 68s.

That may bot be 100% true, as you often see the Scotrail and Chiltern 68's on intermodal and departmental workings when they get mileage after a service.

regards

Darryl

That's brilliant. I really like these five 47s. The prices were quite cheap and reasonable too considering that they are all Limited Editions. I am also hopefully going to buy DRS Compass 47805 when it's released. That will be another nice loco to add to the fleet.

You're right. I do need to set up my own thread on here. The only reason why I haven't is because I am not a modeller as such I just have a layout, with track down, with painted baseboards. I just don't have the time for modelling as such and I am just grateful to run the locos. I started off originally modelling Leeds Midland Road with Freightliner locos. But since I built this new layout a year and a half ago I decided to have Crewe Gresty Bridge as the depot because I had a lot more DRS locos than Freightliner already at this point. I will definitely find some time to set up a thread and add some photos and captions. Thank you for all of the support Jim. Very much appreciated.

Thank you for all of the support. I really appreciate it. I will definitely set up a layout thread. The layout is pretty basic at the moment and mainly consists of the baseboards, track and locos and stock but as suggested it must be worthy of it's own thread by now.

This is good to hear. At the moment I currently have no Colas locos. But I have big plans for big changes regarding this in the next year or so. I have had one Colas loco previously but unfortunately I sold it. This was ViTrains 47739. I really wish that I had kept it now and modified the couplings. What Colas locos do you currently have?

I think that the cost of overhauls is a big factor regarding the older DRS traction. I am sure that Network Rail provide funds to overhaul the 20/3s for the RHTT season but that's because they are required for the Yorkshire RHTTs. The likes of the 37/6s and 47s that are not really used on RHTTs therefore won't get the funds off of Network Rail to overhaul them. Overhauls for these locos would cost an absolute fortune meaning that it isn't financially viable to overhaul them. Especially considering that Colas now have their own fleet of 37s for NR test trains. They no longer require the hiring of DRS locos. Flask trains are now mainly in the hands of other overhauled 37s, 66s and more recently 68s. I agree it's a shame that the 47s have now been sold and the 37s are slowly either been sold on or scrapped but they have served their purpose and have been very useful to DRS when expanding and developing in previous years.

I currently have the following Colas Loco's;

47727 Rebecca

47739 Robin of Templecombe

47749 Demelza

Waiting on 37099 Merl Evans, 60087 CLIC Sargent and 70805 but still need to purchase 66841 and 56087 if I see them for a good price.

DRS Loco's

47790 NB

47832 NB

57305 NB

Pre-ordered 37558, 37688, 47805 John Scott, 57302, 68003 & 68008

Not to mention I also have both Network Rail Bachmann 37's & Class 43 HST, Paired Royal 67's and 5 Class 66's in various latest limited edition liveries as well as pre-ordering Rails Class 66 Freightliner Poppy, GBRf Maritime One & Locomotions GBRf Evening Star.

Yes it's become an addiction and maybe I should seek professional help but hey that's why I come to this forum constantly, to engage like minded people...

It's no wonder the wife nags me when she comes into my home office as they are all on display on my shelves along with my Star Wars action figure and vehicle collections.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I currently have the following Colas Loco's;

47727 Rebecca

47739 Robin of Templecombe

47749 Demelza

Waiting on 37099 Merl Evans, 60087 CLIC Sargent and 70805 but still need to purchase 66841 and 56087 if I see them for a good price.

DRS Loco's

47790 NB

47832 NB

57305 NB

Pre-ordered 37558, 37688, 47805 John Scott, 57302, 68003 & 68008

Not to mention I also have both Network Rail Bachmann 37's & Class 43 HST, Paired Royal 67's and 5 Class 66's in various latest limited edition liveries as well as pre-ordering Rails Class 66 Freightliner Poppy, GBRf Maritime One & Locomotions GBRf Evening Star.

Yes it's become an addiction and maybe I should seek professional help but hey that's why I come to this forum constantly, to engage like minded people...

It's no wonder the wife nags me when she comes into my home office as they are all on display on my shelves along with my Star Wars action figure and vehicle collections.

Fantastic selection of locos.

I have all of your DRS fleet of locos except for 68001.

I too am hoping to acquire 37424, 37688, 47805, 68003 and 68008.

I have wanted to acquire the Model Rail Limited Edition 97303 for a while now but they are very rare to find for sale. Hopefully I will acquire one in the future. I would really like the Hornby NR Class 43s. I just don't have the money for them at the moment and I definitely don't have the money for the NR MK3s to go with them.

I'm the same. In the past three/four years I have lost count of how much I have spent on locos and rolling stock. But as most locos are only produced as one batch and rarely re-run you really have to buy locos quickly to ensure that you have them before they sell out.

Fantastic selection of locos.

I have all of your DRS fleet of locos except for 68001.

I too am hoping to acquire 37424, 37688, 47805, 68003 and 68008.

I have wanted to acquire the Model Rail Limited Edition 97303 for a while now but they are very rare to find for sale. Hopefully I will acquire one in the future. I would really like the Hornby NR Class 43s. I just don't have the money for them at the moment and I definitely don't have the money for the NR MK3s to go with them.

I'm the same. In the past three/four years I have lost count of how much I have spent on locos and rolling stock. But as most locos are only produced as one batch and rarely re-run you really have to buy locos quickly to ensure that you have them before they sell out.

Don't want to make you spend more money but DRS 68001, strangely, is still available to purchase from the online DRS Shop.

I luckily got a brand new Bachmann NR 97303 last year for £155 off eBay which was pure luck as they normally sell for over 200 quid, also have all the NR coaches from both Hornby & Bachmann as well as Dapol's NR MRA's & IOA's, still working on getting the JNA's. Have an array of intermodal wagons & containers from Dapol, Bachmann & Hornby as I intend to build on side of the layout a Container Terminal and on the other side of the layout a DRS TMD thus two scenic areas with both having a different purpose, anyway that is the plan.

Yes have to agree on the fact if you don't buy the desirable model loco's, wagon's or coach's when they are released you will miss out and pay over the odds down the line off eBay or somewhere else, also what I have noticed recently in the past 12 months is that online model retailers are now getting in on the act in ripping people off with high prices when runs are sold out even when they have 10 or more in stock but for me this is a recent thing as I didn't notice this happening a couple of years ago unless I'm mistaken, the Dapol DRS 68 a particular case in point but have now noticed reduced prices for these on eBay now the dust has settled.

I actually have a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing all my stock and how much they cost, what I have sold, pre-orders and what I am still searching for and too be honest to this day from 2014 I have spent 7.2k, I have everything including the Gaugemaster Prodigy DCC02 controller/DCC Concepts rolling roads but except an actual layout which would probably double the cost by the time I start and finish one in the near future.

To say this is an expensive hobby would be a gross understatement but hey those are the choices we make and nobody is forcing me or us to do this, at least I'm contributing to the model railway industry.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That may bot be 100% true, as you often see the Scotrail and Chiltern 68's on intermodal and departmental workings when they get mileage after a service.

regards

Darryl

That's true and I had forgotten about the fact that they may be occasionally used on freight trains.

However if a large number of 68s were re-vinyled into TPE livery this would reduce the opportunity to model/replicate freight workings that the 68s work in reality when they are been used on TPE passenger services.