Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Gold

It seems strange that they are re-running a second version of the same loco, apart from minor differences or corrections.

All low numbers again....

If I recall correctly some people have commented that there are some tooling changes needed for the later versions? Perhaps they are just looking to maximise the tooling they have and get a second run of locos out more quickly.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

It seems strange that they are re-running a second version of the same loco, apart from minor differences or corrections.

From what I know it could be because the two ScotRail locos (006 and 007) have spots that are placed in slightly different positions. I think that in the first batch both locos were produced with spots in the same place. Could 006 be re-run in the second batch because it's spots are in a different place to the model produced in the first batch?

I think the only difference between the 68010 modelled in the first batch between the 68010 modelled in the second batch is that the second batch model will come with printed nameplates fitted and etched nameplates in the box. Whereas the loco in the first batch didn't come with nameplates.

I think that Dapol are trying to get the most out of the tooling by modelling locos differently. This allows modellers/collectors to buy the exact replicas of the real life locos that are up to date.

I completely agree with that you are saying. I would really like to acquire 68016-68025 in DRS livery. I am just hoping that Dapol produce them before they potentially are debranded of the DRS livery and have TPE vinyls applied.

• RMweb Premium

Done a bit of work to mine......

Fitted Extreme Etchings nameplates and Brake discs, and rolled it in the mud !

Before and after pics, plus a comparison of the plates.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-42064700-1493758150_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-70729000-1493758185_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-34848700-1493758352_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

If 68008 is done right is that not the same as 016 to 025 so could easily be used as a base for some modelling?

Done a bit of work to mine......

Fitted Extreme Etchings nameplates and Brake discs, and rolled it in the mud !

Before and after pics, plus a comparison of the plates.

Cheers,

Phil.

That looks excellent, what adhesive did you use to apply them to the wheels?

• RMweb Premium

That looks excellent, what adhesive did you use to apply them to the wheels?

I used matt varnish.

There's an explanation of how I fitted them on my workbench thread.

Cheers,

Phil.

The real plate for comparison.

Cheers,

Phil.

Now if someone could just get a large dollop of glue and stick it behind and above the nameplate then that'll make the real life 68 a closer match to the model version and remove one of the complaints about it.... not quite sure how to fix the livery error

• Like 1

And mount the plate 10° off centre. And we are set!

Now if someone could just get a large dollop of glue and stick it behind and above the nameplate then that'll make the real life 68 a closer match to the model version and remove one of the complaints about it.... not quite sure how to fix the livery error

I read an artical a couple of weeks ago which said that 68020-68025 will be re-vinyled into TPE livery. I really hope that Dapol produce these locos in DRS livery.

I'm sure it is 68026-68034 that will have the TPE livery. Hence why 68026 & 27 are in plain blue with basic DRS logo.

regards

Darryl

Edited by daz9284

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure it is 68026-68034 that will have the TPE livery. Hence why 68026 & 27 are in plain blue with basic DRS logo.

regards

Darryl

That only allows for nine locos though. I'm sure that thirteen locos are required and two locos as spares.

That would allow for fifteen locos 68020-68034. Thirteen for use on the TPE trains and two as spares when some require repairs/maintenance or if any fail.  

That only allows for nine locos though. I'm sure that thirteen locos are required and two locos as spares.

That would allow for fifteen locos 68020-68034. Thirteen for use on the TPE trains and two as spares when some require repairs/maintenance or if any fail.  

My mistake, just read an article that says 12 68's will be used with another two as spare, so 68021-68034. I wonder if some will stay in DRS livery as per the 68's used by Chiltern?

Edited by daz9284
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My mistake, just read an article that says 12 68's will be used with another two as spare, so 68021-68034. I wonder if some will stay in DRS livery as per the 68's used by Chiltern?

I'm not sure. It's going to be really interesting to see what happens.

I just really hope that the 68s operating TPE services are modelled by Dapol in DRS livery. If Dapol decide to model them in TPE livery it will restrict what wagons and stock that we can use with them to just the CAF MK5s. It would be nice if 68016-68025 were all modelled in DRS livery, 68026 and 68027 in the basic livery and 68028 upwards in TPE livery.

That would make everyone happy because it would mean that all three liveries would be available to buy in model form from the later batches of 68s.

I would love this but from what I have been told this isn't going to happen at the moment. Apparently the 57/3s are to stay for a while.

Damn we need those old farts to start breaking down or become unreliable.

Edited by classy52