Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium

Don't want to make you spend more money but DRS 68001, strangely, is still available to purchase from the online DRS Shop.

I luckily got a brand new Bachmann NR 97303 last year for £155 off eBay which was pure luck as they normally sell for over 200 quid, also have all the NR coaches from both Hornby & Bachmann as well as Dapol's NR MRA's & IOA's, still working on getting the JNA's. Have an array of intermodal wagons & containers from Dapol, Bachmann & Hornby as I intend to build on side of the layout a Container Terminal and on the other side of the layout a DRS TMD thus two scenic areas with both having a different purpose, anyway that is the plan.

Yes have to agree on the fact if you don't buy the desirable model loco's, wagon's or coach's when they are released you will miss out and pay over the odds down the line off eBay or somewhere else, also what I have noticed recently in the past 12 months is that online model retailers are now getting in on the act in ripping people off with high prices when runs are sold out even when they have 10 or more in stock but for me this is a recent thing as I didn't notice this happening a couple of years ago unless I'm mistaken, the Dapol DRS 68 a particular case in point but have now noticed reduced prices for these on eBay now the dust has settled.

I actually have a comprehensive spreadsheet detailing all my stock and how much they cost, what I have sold, pre-orders and what I am still searching for and too be honest to this day from 2014 I have spent 7.2k, I have everything including the Gaugemaster Prodigy DCC02 controller/DCC Concepts rolling roads but except an actual layout which would probably double the cost by the time I start and finish one in the near future.

To say this is an expensive hobby would be a gross understatement but hey those are the choices we make and nobody is forcing me or us to do this, at least I'm contributing to the model railway industry.

I am really tempted to buy 68001. The only reason why I haven't yet is because of the livery error on one side. This is a shame otherwise I would of bought this loco as soon as it was available. I have just asked Dapol on the Digest tonight if new body shells with the correct livery are going to be produced for 68001. If this is the case I may buy a model of 68001 and then acquire the new bodyshell when they are available. It would be nice to have this as a Limited Edition.

You were really lucky acquiring 97303 for just £155. Like you say a lot of the others that are sold are for £200+. Hopefully one will become available that is reasonably priced.

I have the Dapol IOAs and JNAs. They are both fantastic wagons and I use them on a lot of trains on the layout.

I have probably spent a bit less than 7.2K. I reckon maybe 5.5K in the last three years or so. Maybe more but that's just a quick guess.

I think the same. This hobby is very expensive and I didn't plan to spend as much money as what I have done on it in the past few years but as we have said if you don't acquire locos and stock you will most likely not be able to acquire them in the future or if you can you will have to pay increased prices.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When people ordered 68001 from DRS how long did it take to arrive and what carrier did they use ?

I ordered the day it went on the website, which coincided with all the big players listing their 68's as being available - but in reality, about a week before they were actually shipping. My 68 came from DRS about 10 days or so after ordering.

I ordered mine a few weeks ago and did follow up with a few emails but no response so today I called them and it looks like it will be another week or so until its sent out. at least I know it hasn't gone missing in the post :)

In case people don't know (and to put this thread back on the right track), Rails of Sheffield have a sale on, in which you can pick up a Chiltern 68 for £109.50...

http://mailchi.mp/railsofsheffield/maymadness-modernimage

Also, Railtec have released a pack for the 'simple' version of the DRS livery as applied to 68026/27...

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2753

Now to me this is the perfect opportunity for the bang up to date modeller to create the newest of new locos, for the price of a standard release Dapol model.

Just to confirm that I have no affiliation to either company, just a happy previous customer of both. :D

Thanks,

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

In case people don't know (and to put this thread back on the right track), Rails of Sheffield have a sale on, in which you can pick up a Chiltern 68 for £109.50...

http://mailchi.mp/railsofsheffield/maymadness-modernimage

Also, Railtec have released a pack for the 'simple' version of the DRS livery as applied to 68026/27...

http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=2753

Now to me this is the perfect opportunity for the bang up to date modeller to create the newest of new locos, for the price of a standard release Dapol model.

Just to confirm that I have no affiliation to either company, just a happy previous customer of both. :D

Thanks,

Jack.

One step ahead of you. Loco is in the post! Transfers will be ordered tonight!

• Like 2

Arrived in the post about an hour ago. I was hoping to wait 'til after the Summer before purchasing one of these, but when the Rails e-mail came in my resolve broke!

67004 and 68014

As you can see, I couldn't resist the 'bargain' offer on the TTS sleeper 67 too!! I hope they don't do too many special offers - my wallet can't handle it!!!!

• Like 4

Thanks for the head up Jack, 68014 on its way. I feel legomanbiffo's sound system the next purchase looming but for 68002.

Talking 68002, what's the best shade of yellow out there available to buy to touch up the packaging rub marks on the front of the locos? 

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Thanks in advance, 

Ali

I was just browsing around Olivia's Trains online shop and their homepage is stating the following;

Class 68 Sounds Now Available

Recorded at Wembley Depot using 68010 (Oxford Flyer)We have now completed our Olivia’s Sound of the Class 68.
All these sounds are Authentic unlike other released copies...now that's a curious statement

Not being funny but if I was the one who had been commissioned by Dapol to provide the Class 68 sound project as per recent release would I take the above as an insult or just brush it aside as friendly banter?

​Apart from DC Kits and now Olivia's I am not aware of anyone else who has re-produced the Class 68 sound project for ESU or Zimo decoders, has anyone else completed the Class 68 sound project and selling it?

I was just browsing around Olivia's Trains online shop and their homepage is stating the following;

Recorded at Wembley Depot using 68010 (Oxford Flyer)We have now completed our Olivia’s Sound of the Class 68.

All these sounds are Authentic unlike other released copies...now that's a curious statement

Not being funny but if I was the one who had been commissioned by Dapol to provide the Class 68 sound project as per recent release would I take the above as an insult or just brush it aside as friendly banter?

​Apart from DC Kits and now Olivia's I am not aware of anyone else who has re-produced the Class 68 sound project for ESU or Zimo decoders, has anyone else completed the Class 68 sound project and selling it?

That's Olivia's Trains' standard hype... Olivia's Trains is nothing but a scam. They believing in over-charging and boasting.

YouChoos does one.

• RMweb Gold

Ok didn't know that, thus according to Olivia's everyone else's Class 68 sound projects are fake, lol my sides are splitting...moving on.

Probably worthy of a complaint to the Advertising Standards people. You can criticise competitor products, but it has to be factual.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

One thing I've discovered today, they don't bounce!

BFAE0695-BA90-4118-9C35-3912BFD299E9.jpg

I was trying to change the coupling for a wider one when it took a tumble into the floor!

Luckily it's more cosmetic than anything, the bogie needs re-soldering and clipping back in place and the drive shaft putting back in but the impact has destroyed a couple of the buffers and steps, the buffers broke into 3 parts and scattered far and wide so are not reuaseble unfortunately

I also had an issue with my DRS one where the coupling got locked to the left after running round with a rake of coal fish wagons without issue and wouldn't re centre, took it apart, carefully and away from the layout edge this time, and discovered a tiny rogue screw jammed in the coupling mechanism, once removed it works ok again

Edited by big jim

Guest Midland Mole

Ok didn't know that, thus according to Olivia's everyone else's Class 68 sound projects are fake, lol my sides are splitting...moving on.

I was shocked when I saw that on Olivia's website, had to do a double take! Not sure how they got away with that one.... :D

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole