Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

£299.95 DCC Sound​...sorry but that's a horrendous price  :O

Trouble is unless more people shy away from paying that you will need to pre-order which I hope £20-£30 is taken off that RRP otherwise you'll miss out or Dapol produce more this time so it can be discounted, but £300 is taking the proverbial p.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

Have you got a layout thread going, be nice to see all the modern stuff you have on a layout?

Good point, thanks for suggesting this Jim. I have been tempted to do this before but I didn't because I haven't done any modelling on the current layout yet. I just never really have the time. I just concentrate on running the locos when I do get the time. Although I suppose it's not always about modelling, displaying locos and rolling stock is also something positive and it would be good to see. I have a few locos to show now so it may be worth setting up a thread and adding some photos of the locos and stock and any movements. Thanks for the suggestion Jim. Hope your ok.

£299.95 DCC Sound​...sorry but that's a horrendous price  :O

Trouble is unless more people shy away from paying that you will need to pre-order which I hope £20-£30 is taken off that RRP otherwise you'll miss out or Dapol produce more this time so it can be discounted, but £300 is taking the proverbial p.

I completely agree although I have just checked on Hattons and the price of the batch two sound Class 68s is £254.96 per model. I agree that this is still a lot of money.

The DCC Fitted Class 68s have also increased in price slightly so I am just going to try to buy 003 and 008 in DRS livery. I would have liked 015 in Chiltern livery too but that would amount to over £450 for three locos. I can't afford that especially at Christmas time, so hopefully I can afford the two new DRS liveried models.

Good point, thanks for suggesting this Jim. I have been tempted to do this before but I didn't because I haven't done any modelling on the current layout yet. I just never really have the time. I just concentrate on running the locos when I do get the time. Although I suppose it's not always about modelling, displaying locos and rolling stock is also something positive and it would be good to see. I have a few locos to show now so it may be worth setting up a thread and adding some photos of the locos and stock and any movements. Thanks for the suggestion Jim. Hope your ok.

I completely agree although I have just checked on Hattons and the price of the batch two sound Class 68s is £254.96 per model. I agree that this is still a lot of money.

The DCC Fitted Class 68s have also increased in price slightly so I am just going to try to buy 003 and 008 in DRS livery. I would have liked 015 in Chiltern livery too but that would amount to over £450 for three locos. I can't afford that especially at Christmas time, so hopefully I can afford the two new DRS liveried models.

Thanks for the heads up, like I said was hoping it would be discounted down from £300 and yes I will pay £254 each for both DRS variants which for me is a fair price for such a outstanding model, but yes £280-£300 would have been the tipping point of not buying it with sound.

Hopefully other retailers will go down even further than Hatton's which is known to occur but we shall see...

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the heads up, like I said was hoping it would be discounted down from £300 and yes I will pay £254 each for both DRS variants which for me is a fair price for such a outstanding model, but yes £280-£300 would have been the tipping point of not buying it with sound.

Hopefully other retailers will go down even further than Hatton's which is known to occur but we shall see...

Completely agree, I would not be able to afford nearly £300 for one sound loco. That would just be out of the question for me.

£254 is far better, more reasonable and affordable. I reckon that I will try and acquire 003 and 008 as DCC Fitted models. That will be just over £300, so hopefully I can afford that.

• Like 1

New models announced today (not seen it posted anywhere else)

4D-022-008  Class 68 Astute 68003 DRS Early Service

4D-022-009  Class 68 Daring 68006 Scotrail Late Modified

4D-022-010  Class 68 Avenger 68008 DRS Late Modified

4D-022-011  Class 68 Oxford Flier 68010 Chiltern Late Modified

4D-022-012  Class 68 Chiltern 68015 Chiltern Early Service

MSRPs are a bit higher:

£154.95 DCC Ready    

£177.84 DCC Fitted  

£299.95 DCC Sound

(From the blurb...)

Features of the Class 68 include:

• Finely moulded body with many separately added fine details

• Printed name plates & Etched plates supplied separately

• DCC ready, DCC and sound fitted models available

• Cast wheels with fine relief and appropriate colouring

• Tungsten chassis and all wheel pick up

• NEM pockets as standard

• Independently controllable and switchable directional lighting

Expected End Q4 2017

2017 models to include the following features where appropriate:

• Early Service—as previously modelled

• Late Modified—new hand rails and horn grill

• Chiltern Modified— No hand rails, AAR sockets

• Chiltern “Oxford Flyer” — As “Late modified” With AAR sockets, Named

Hi, thanks for this,

Good to see the different variants being introduced, however 68008 should have the AAR (ish) receptacles fitted too...

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

Not seen it mentioned on here yet, Dapol have indicated that the livery error will be corrected in the next batch and they will be posting the revised artwork on their digest.

Good news, although that is another £150 to find...

Roy

Dapol have indicated that the livery error will be corrected in the next batch and they will be posting the revised artwork on their digest.

At £300 a pop for some variants I would certainly hope the errors have been corrected! :O

I was just looking at some artwork of the next batch of 68's from Dapol and noticed the brake discs had the drilled holes present, can anyone confirm Dapol have gone a step further with detail and are now adding the brake disc holes?

Please see image below.

post-30580-0-77853400-1493386693_thumb.gif

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold

I was just looking at some artwork of the next batch of 68's from Dapol and noticed the brake discs had the drilled holes present, can anyone confirm Dapol have gone a step further with detail and are now adding the brake disc holes?

Please see image below.

That is what they said on their digest. How the holes are achieved (real holes or nor) I don't know.

Roy

That is what they said on their digest. How the holes are achieved (real holes or nor) I don't know.

Roy

Apologies Roy but from your post are you saying Dapol will be applying the brake disc holes on the model?

Currently you get these from Railtec Transfers for the existing Dapol Class 68's to retro fit them as transfers, will be good if Dapol apply these as part of the detail and saves us from doing it in the future and also shows how well Dapol listen to and look after their customers providing the best product possible.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Gold

Apologies Roy but from your post are you saying Dapol will be applying the brake disc holes on the model?

Currently you get these from Railtec Transfers for the existing Dapol Class 68's to retro fit them as transfers, will be good if Dapol apply these as part of the detail and saves us from doing it in the future and also shows how well Dapol listen to and look after their customers providing the best product possible.

Yes, there will be holes applied in some fashion by Dapol. Whether they are transfers or real holes I don't know:

"68008 Avenger is shown with the corrected wheel centres and fan background colorationfor illustration purposes, this will be implemented where necessary across the range of models."

Roy

Yes, there will be holes applied in some fashion by Dapol. Whether they are transfers or real holes I don't know:

"68008 Avenger is shown with the corrected wheel centres and fan background colorationfor illustration purposes, this will be implemented where necessary across the range of models."

Roy

Fantastic, I've pre-ordered both DRS with sound and will be a massive chunk out of my wallet just before Christmas but what a present...time to start saving.

Sorry if it sounds like I am very impatient, but just exactly when are the N Gauge versions of these lovely looking locomotives coming out in the shops? It feels that I have been waiting forever and a day to buy one!

Sam

Had a set of the excellent Shawplan etched brake disc inserts for the Dapol 68 arrive today, very nice they are too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping to have some but am struggling to get hold of Bryan to order a load of stuff off him couldn't get hold last week and he's closed this week for maintainance

Roll on derby show next week to collect some from him direct

How much better are the Shawplan nameplates over the Dapol supplied ones for the 68's?

Also I take it the Shawplan brake discs are a step up from the Railtec ones?

Nameplates are far superior and more finely etched.

Shawplan brake discs are etched metal, Railtec are transfers.

"68008 Avenger is shown with the corrected wheel centres and fan background coloration for illustration purposes, this will be implemented where necessary across the range of models."

Roy

Probably not understood that technically, but what part of that refers to the holes on the brake discs? Or have I misunderstood something?