Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

• RMweb Premium

One thing I've discovered today, they don't bounce!

Or fly........

Pity it wasn't 68010 or you could rename it the "Oxford Diver"................................

Seriously though - hope you get it fixed up.

Mick

My DRS 68001 arrived today and I was shocked at how badly it was wrapped ... it only had a very thin layer of bubble wrap on it and a single layer of brown paper, the packaged had been exposed to water and the brown paper was torn away and whilst the loco itself seems to be fine i have yet to test it, visually the DRS box has quite a few dents in it, considering they have gone to the effort of a limited edition box I was sort of expecting it to at least be in an outer brown box for posting.

Edited by Anthony566

• RMweb Premium

My DRS 68001 arrived today and I was shacked at how badly it was wrapped ... it only had a very thin layer of bubble wrap on it and a single layer of brown paper, the packaged had been exposed to water and the brown paper was torn away and whilst the loco itself seems to be find visually the DRS box has quite a few dents in it, considering they have gone to the effort of a limited edition box I was sort of expecting it to at least be in an outed brown box for posting.

This is really disappointing.

Similar messages have been posted previously regarding the exact same issue. Considering that 68001 is priced significantly higher than the standard 68002 and 68005 releases you would think that it would come with a proper outer box and well packaged for postage. The fact that water has leaked onto the box of the loco and the loco is £200 is completely unacceptable. Personally I would contact DRS and inform them of the issue and request that they swop the loco and box and from now on that the locos are dispatched with a proper outer box and are well packaged.

This is a shame because I am considering buying this loco but for the money and the issue raised and the fact that the loco and box could be damaged or faulty is really bad.

This is really disappointing.

Similar messages have been posted previously regarding the exact same issue. Considering that 68001 is priced significantly higher than the standard 68002 and 68005 releases you would think that it would come with a proper outer box and well packaged for postage. The fact that water has leaked onto the box of the loco and the loco is £200 is completely unacceptable. Personally I would contact DRS and inform them of the issue and request that they swop the loco and box and from now on that the locos are dispatched with a proper outer box and are well packaged.

This is a shame because I am considering buying this loco but for the money and the issue raised and the fact that the loco and box could be damaged or faulty is really bad.

DRS Crewe I had purchased 68001 as a pre-order and yes the packaging of the product was pretty crap, luckily mine came when it wasn't raining and intact and yes it was only wrapped within a thin covering of bubble wrap and brown paper and expected to be in it's own cardboard box with bubble wrap as well.

Too be honest the more I think about it for me Dapol have been quite poor in not at least offering a free replacement body shell with correct livery positioning for these 350 special edition 68001 examples as a good will gesture and perhaps charge people a token amount, like £20-£30 perhaps, for the mainstream models as an option for people to get a replacement body shell if they wanted. I did suggest this to Dapol at Ally Pally in March but it was sort of shrugged off as a wait & see which basically means I don't think so and let's move onto the next question.

If I hadn't already no I wouldn't buy the 68001 purely based on the livery error as £200 plus postage for a non-DCC fitted/sound fitted model with that mistake is just not worth it thus you see the reason why they haven't sold out considering the popularity of the model and that only 350 units were made.

Just wait for the next batch and get one re-numbered to 68001, probably end up being cheaper and with the correct livery.

DRS Crewe I had purchased 68001 as a pre-order and yes the packaging of the product was pretty crap, luckily mine came when it wasn't raining and intact and yes it was only wrapped within a thin covering of bubble wrap and brown paper and expected to be in it's own cardboard box with bubble wrap as well.

Too be honest the more I think about it for me Dapol have been quite poor in not at least offering a free replacement body shell with correct livery positioning for these 350 special edition 68001 examples as a good will gesture and perhaps charge people a token amount, like £20-£30 perhaps, for the mainstream models as an option for people to get a replacement body shell if they wanted. I did suggest this to Dapol at Ally Pally in March but it was sort of shrugged off as a wait & see which basically means I don't think so and let's move onto the next question.

If I hadn't already no I wouldn't buy the 68001 purely based on the livery error as £200 plus postage for a non-DCC fitted/sound fitted model with that mistake is just not worth it thus you see the reason why they haven't sold out considering the popularity of the model and that only 350 units were made.

Just wait for the next batch and get one re-numbered to 68001, probably end up being cheaper and with the correct livery.

You say this, not sure if you have checked the digest in recent weeks, but they seem to be offering correct liveried body shells with the next batch. I think you have to sign up for iy.

Ben

You say this, not sure if you have checked the digest in recent weeks, but they seem to be offering correct liveried body shells with the next batch. I think you have to sign up for iy.

Ben

Is that confirmed?  I may have been looking in wrong place but all I found was a vague comment that there may be a few spare bodies available with the next batch but I couldn't see any indication of how you get at these, nor whether a cost associated.  Anyone got more details (or link to correct place in Dapol forum)?

M

• RMweb Gold

Is that confirmed? I may have been looking in wrong place but all I found was a vague comment that there may be a few spare bodies available with the next batch but I couldn't see any indication of how you get at these, nor whether a cost associated. Anyone got more details (or link to correct place in Dapol forum)?

M

I read the digest and have seen nothing to confirm this is happening.

Roy

Ben

Yes I did say this and no I hadn't checked Dapol Digest's until now thus here is the link to the rumour about replacement body shells for 68001 and/or for the other two, really vague at this point so not holding my breathe.

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/main-forum/class-68/5317-next-batch-of-class-68-s-any-improvements

If they want to charge customers for the corrected replacement body shell who purchased 68001 then Dapol will be taking the proverbial so let's hope it is a free replacement program, even better if it is extended to those with 68002 & 68005 which I have also but like I said wouldn't mind if I was charged a token fee for those two, I do understand the economics may be a bit too much to do all of them.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 1

I'm not privy to Dapol's financial issues or seen anything regarding this but do agree that offering replacement body shell's would be a bridge too far for a company of their size, even just doing 350 replacements for those who purchased 68001 would be a stretch considering the cost to get them made in China and shipped to the UK let alone the numbers required for 68002 & 68005.

I'm sure Dapol are reviewing this behind the scenes and working out the pro & cons before making any announcements and like I said their Digest thread about this was neither here or there and non-committal and for me personally, even though I have spent a lot of money already, I would entertain the idea of paying Dapol a certain fee for a replacement body shell for 68001 but as long as only 350 body shells and no more are made for 68001 so it doesn't de-value the limited edition exclusivity and only 1 per customer from the original invoices.

As for 68002 & 68005 I think Dapol would have to charge people for the body shell's because the financial burden of offering for free would completely eat into their profits for this product.

Edited by Andy Y
Quoted content removed

• RMweb Gold

I'm not privy to Dapol's financial issues or seen anything regarding this but do agree that offering replacement body shell's would be a bridge too far for a company of their size, even just doing 350 replacements for those who purchased 68001 would be a stretch considering the cost to get them made in China and shipped to the UK let alone the numbers required for 68002 & 68005.

I'm sure Dapol are reviewing this behind the scenes and working out the pro & cons before making any announcements and like I said their Digest thread about this was neither here or there and non-committal and for me personally, even though I have spent a lot of money already, I would entertain the idea of paying Dapol a certain fee for a replacement body shell for 68001 but as long as only 350 body shells and no more are made for 68001 so it doesn't de-value the limited edition exclusivity and only 1 per customer from the original invoices.

As for 68002 & 68005 I think Dapol would have to charge people for the body shell's because the financial burden of offering for free would completely eat into their profits for this product.

So it seems that the mods did not like the terminology I used in my deleted post for which I apologise - it was intended to be supportive of Dapol. Read the thread on Dapol scaling back their plans and the statement that they made, it is obvious that at the current time with the currency fluctuations that abound they are having to be cautious and understandably so. Mention is made of protecting the financial stability of the company - including paying their staff and that is exactly what I would expect of the senior management - they are to be commended for being so open about why they acted as they did.

Dapol are not a big company yet have produced one of the best RTR locos following on from a number of other successful models. Yes, they have had some quality issues but which of the big names hasn't?

As for replacement body shells, for 68001 I think the vast majority of people bought it knowing the livery error. Having done so it seems slightly unfair for there now to be demands that Dapol change the body shells. As you say, the cost would be huge and could impact the funding available for subsequent deliveries.

So, I have two 68s, neither perfect, but they are amongst my favourites. I have another (68008) on pre-order and I really hope that we see an 88 in the future.

Roy

So it seems that the mods did not like the terminology I used in my deleted post for which I apologise - it was intended to be supportive of Dapol. Read the thread on Dapol scaling back their plans and the statement that they made, it is obvious that at the current time with the currency fluctuations that abound they are having to be cautious and understandably so. Mention is made of protecting the financial stability of the company - including paying their staff and that is exactly what I would expect of the senior management - they are to be commended for being so open about why they acted as they did.

Dapol are not a big company yet have produced one of the best RTR locos following on from a number of other successful models. Yes, they have had some quality issues but which of the big names hasn't?

As for replacement body shells, for 68001 I think the vast majority of people bought it knowing the livery error. Having done so it seems slightly unfair for there now to be demands that Dapol change the body shells. As you say, the cost would be huge and could impact the funding available for subsequent deliveries.

So, I have two 68s, neither perfect, but they are amongst my favourites. I have another (68008) on pre-order and I really hope that we see an 88 in the future.

Roy

I didn't see your post as particularly derogatory towards Dapol and just an explanation around economics but hey each to their own.

Anyway I don't fall into the 'demand' category and surprised to hear there are people demanding from Dapol a free replacement body shell for 68001 and as I have stipulated already I would pay for it but as long as it is limited to the original customers and only 350 are made with the corrected livery, if it comes free then that's a bonus.

I think we can leave the speculation for now and just wait & see what Dapol do in regards to all 3 DRS variants and just accept it if it's knocked on the head and if customers have to pay extra for the corrected body then so be it but ultimately this is for Dapol's PR Dept. to handle...like you said everyone has purchased the DRS Class 68 product knowing full well there was a livery hiccup on an otherwise top class product and personally really looking forward to the next batch of 68's and hopefully the Class 88 beyond that.

To be honest I think the majority of us wouldn't mind making a small contribution to get a correct body. Im not sure if doing a body swop with Dapol is a viable option for them to rework. The body shell is probably the cheapest item. The assembly and paint is probably the costly bit of the equation. But either way it would go a long way to putting things right on what is otherwise the model of the year by a long, long way...

Edited by martin_l_jones

• RMweb Premium

Just to confirm a few things.

A new thread regarding improvements to the OO Gauge Class 68s has been created on the Dapol Digest. This is a new and a different thread to the previous ones mentioned.

Dapol are asking for people who are interested in having new DRS liveried bodyshells to come forward and comment on the Digest. I think at this time they are just wanting to know if it's worth producing new bodyshells because no doubt this will be a costly job if say a couple of thousand new bodyshells have to be produced.

I have commented and expressed my interest in new bodyshells for 68002 and 68005. I and a few others have also asked if new 68001 bodyshells are going to be produced. As yet no Dapol staff have replied regarding this so hopefully this week coming we may know if 68001 is going to be included or not.

Personally I wouldn't mind paying a fee for new DRS liveried bodyshells. I would be willing to pay £30-£40 per body. In theory the new bodyshells should be free considering that Dapol made the error in the first place. However I understand that this will no doubt be a costly job and therefore I wouldn't expect Dapol to have all of the expense otherwise this project may not go ahead if they have to stand all of the costs. Anything above £40 per new bodyshell I would not be willing to pay considering that the standard models were only £124 each originally.

I do agree though with Class52s comment regarding the new bodyshells for 68001 been free. Considering that DRS are selling this loco for £200 each and that's just DCC Ready without a DCC Decoder, I think it would be a nice gesture to offer the 350 customers who have/will buy a model this for free considering the significantly higher price tag compared to the standard 002 and 005 models. It would be taking the proverbial to charge £200 for the loco, then a cost of the new bodyshell and the DCC Decoder for people who operate on DCC. This could mean a cost of £250-£260 for this one loco which even though it's a Limited Edition it's too much. You can buy sound locos for cheaper than this.   

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

Just to confirm a few things.

A new thread regarding improvements to the OO Gauge Class 68s has been created on the Dapol Digest. This is a new and a different thread to the previous ones mentioned.

Dapol are asking for people who are interested in having new DRS liveried bodyshells to come forward and comment on the Digest. I think at this time they are just wanting to know if it's worth producing new bodyshells because no doubt this will be a costly job if say a couple of thousand new bodyshells have to be produced.

I have commented and expressed my interest in new bodyshells for 68002 and 68005. I and a few others have also asked if new 68001 bodyshells are going to be produced. As yet no Dapol staff have replied regarding this so hopefully this week coming we may know if 68001 is going to be included or not.

Personally I wouldn't mind paying a fee for new DRS liveried bodyshells. I would be willing to pay £30-£40 per body. In theory the new bodyshells should be free considering that Dapol made the error in the first place. However I understand that this will no doubt be a costly job and therefore I wouldn't expect Dapol to have all of the expense otherwise this project may not go ahead if they have to stand all of the costs. Anything above £40 per new bodyshell I would not be willing to pay considering that the standard models were only £124 each originally.

I do agree though with Class52s comment regarding the new bodyshells for 68001 been free. Considering that DRS are selling this loco for £200 each and that's just DCC Ready without a DCC Decoder, I think it would be a nice gesture to offer the 350 customers who have/will buy a model this for free considering the significantly higher price tag compared to the standard 002 and 005 models. It would be taking the proverbial to charge £200 for the loco, then a cost of the new bodyshell and the DCC Decoder for people who operate on DCC. This could mean a cost of £250-£260 for this one loco which even though it's a Limited Edition it's too much. You can buy sound locos for cheaper than this.   

I think Dapol need to create an online form and announce it on their website homepage and via the model railway magazines they are requiring an expression of interest from everyone who purchased a DRS Class 68 to come forward to their website and fill out an online form like a pre-order to gauge exactly how many customers would want a new body shell for whatever cost they come up with, run it for a specified time period and then decide to go forward or not because otherwise it will be a pointless exercise and Dapol will end up doing nothing if they are just talking about it in their digest.

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

I hope they do a run, as that'll mean a surplus of original bodies that can be repainted into the simple DRS version on 68026/027 (and possibly 028-031).

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My Basic livery 68 is nearly fully painted! Some pics in the next few days on my workbench thread. It really is a great model, especially when you take one apart for re-painting.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope they do a run, as that'll mean a surplus of original bodies that can be repainted into the simple DRS version on 68026/027 (and possibly 028-031).

Cheers,

Mick

And what's the bet they ask for the old bodies to be returned in part exchange, which they will then strip and repaint themselves no doubt. Edited by Hilux5972

Just a quick question to see if anyone has received a DCC fitted (factory fitted) 68002 Intrepid? And if anyone has received one from Hattons?

Having just given Hattons a call (I have one on pre order), I was told they were expected next year! So I thought I'd give Dapol themselves a call to see if these will be the new spec models (correct livery, brake discs etc), only to be told even before I got to my question that Hattons have received all their allocated models. To add to my confusion, none of the first batch of DRS (or scotrail) models are available to buy or preorder on the Hattons website.

So I'm stumped. To me it sounds like my preorder has been lost in Hattons' system, or that the DCC fitted batch was cancelled by Dapol for whatever reason. All I know is that I haven't got my model, which I particularly wanted to be 68002 because it was the first one I saw, and it appears I may never get it.

I'll wait to see if anyone has received their model(s), but it's sounding like I'd be better cancelling the order and instead ordering 68003 in the new batch and renumbering.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick question to see if anyone has received a DCC fitted (factory fitted) 68002 Intrepid? And if anyone has received one from Hattons?

Having just given Hattons a call (I have one on pre order), I was told they were expected next year! So I thought I'd give Dapol themselves a call to see if these will be the new spec models (correct livery, brake discs etc), only to be told even before I got to my question that Hattons have received all their allocated models. To add to my confusion, none of the first batch of DRS (or scotrail) models are available to buy or preorder on the Hattons website.

So I'm stumped. To me it sounds like my preorder has been lost in Hattons' system, or that the DCC fitted batch was cancelled by Dapol for whatever reason. All I know is that I haven't got my model, which I particularly wanted to be 68002 because it was the first one I saw, and it appears I may never get it.

I'll wait to see if anyone has received their model(s), but it's sounding like I'd be better cancelling the order and instead ordering 68003 in the new batch and renumbering.

Jack.

Kernow (I know, not Hattons) told me they got very few of their DCC fitted order and ended up doing the DCC fitting themselves. Apparently their were so many returns to Dapol that Dapol ran out on replacements,

I assume Hattons also had shortages of DCC Fitted examples.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Jack.

Hi Jack,

There's a 68002 on eBay going for £179.99 plus £5 delivery and is DCC Fitted, link below, there are also 2 others going for £200 each which for me is a bit over the top.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dapol-4D-022-DCC-Fitted-Intrepid-DRS-New-In-Box-/322500707477?hash=item4b168a4495:g:2wMAAOSw4CFY3lJN

I'm not in any way associated with the seller, just being helpful.

Cheers

Steve

Jack.

On a similar note to this the factory fitted sound ones I ordered (1 of each so 6 in total) through Ian Allen Birmingham (Supplied by Gaugemaster) only 4 actually ever turned up - The 2 DRS ones and 1 each of the Scotrail and Chiltern . . . Whatever happened to the other two is a mystery as all were ordered at the same time. I can only assume that with such a high demand certain shops may have had less than there orders thus some customers have missed out depending on when it was ordered and in cases like Ian Allen what they had received already.

On the upside of all of this is the numbers that I missed out on have been announced as part of the next batch so not exactly a bad thing end of the day just annoying.

Jack.

Hi Jack

My DCC factory fitted 68002 arrived from Hattons in March (a few weeks after the release of the non-DCC fitted versions). I understand Dapol fitted the DCC chips themselves in the UK and according to their Dapol Digest, had delays sourcing enough chips.

I'd be surprised if Dapol produce any more of 68002 with the next run (unless they do produce some extra bodies with the corrected livery for swapping mentioned in a few posts above).  

The second sound Scotrail 68 has still to be issued, I understand. I am also waiting for it and was told last week that Dapol were still showing it as 'on order' on the communications with the shop. I suspect that the sound decoder fitting is taking the time. I don't know how many sound version were ordered but fitting them must take a long time if it is being done by a small number of people in the UK.

Roddy