Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Hi Andy

Picture 4 et al.  Not often  do I comment  this way but, not sure about sheep in this 'field' although you seem to focus on it.  It is a bit small and there is no recognised access.  It is the sort where someone who 'knows someone' (friendly farmer) might get a single sheep in just to keep the grass low.  Hope that helps.

Cheers, Peter

You have to use your imagination Peter, the Boundary fence runs along the top of the Yard Embankment, so the Field is actually quite large, but not enough room for me to model it all and move the lift out section.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy

Picture 4 et al.  Not often  do I comment  this way but, not sure about sheep in this 'field' although you seem to focus on it.  It is a bit small and there is no recognised access.  It is the sort where someone who 'knows someone' (friendly farmer) might get a single sheep in just to keep the grass low.  Hope that helps.

Cheers, Peter

Stocking rate should be around 1 cow or 2 sheep to the acre depending of course on quality of grass etc. This allows for grazing, hay/silage for winter feed and also grazing for young stock not yet in the milking herd. Obviously there will be more cows grazing in a field than I have quoted above but that gives an indication of the size of farm required for a given herd.

Things are looking good Andy, just wish I was progressing at the same rate as you!  :)  

Stocking rate should be around 1 cow or 2 sheep to the acre depending of course on quality of grass etc. This allows for grazing, hay/silage for winter feed and also grazing for young stock not yet in the milking herd. Obviously there will be more cows grazing in a field than I have quoted above but that gives an indication of the size of farm required for a given herd.

Things are looking good Andy, just wish I was progressing at the same rate as you!  :)  

Thanks for the info, we have a Field near here that often seem over populated with Cows, far to many for the size of the Field some days.

Hi Andy

Cheers, Peter

You have to use your imagination Peter, the Boundary fence runs along the top of the Yard Embankment, so the Field is actually quite large, but not enough room for me to model it all and move the lift out section.

See how the Field actually would be.

post-9335-0-82854900-1508870977_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes where there are small bits of field the Farmer will leave a gate or two open so they can wander around the bits. Of course you can then find they have all gone into one small bit. I have seen them all clustering around the gate waiting to go in to be milked.

I do like Peter's idea about the small field by the cottage. Just the sort of bit that might belong to the cottage and the owner has found a couple of sheep is easier than mowing it. I have seen a single horse kept in a field with a couple of sheep presumably to keep the horse company. Mind you I thought Geese might keep the paddock down but although they ate the grass they left all the weeds and I still had to mow the weeds.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes only one out of about eighty, I'm either very lucky or maybe unlucky.

Probably about the right ratio in general. Quite a lot of sheep in view from my office window today and no black ones at all.

But a few years ago there used to be a herd near Lambourn that was all black sheep.

• Like 2

Sometimes where there are small bits of field the Farmer will leave a gate or two open so they can wander around the bits. Of course you can then find they have all gone into one small bit. I have seen them all clustering around the gate waiting to go in to be milked.

I do like Peter's idea about the small field by the cottage. Just the sort of bit that might belong to the cottage and the owner has found a couple of sheep is easier than mowing it. I have seen a single horse kept in a field with a couple of sheep presumably to keep the horse company. Mind you I thought Geese might keep the paddock down but although they ate the grass they left all the weeds and I still had to mow the weeds.

Don

Hi Don's that's he Canal Pub by the Field, but there at the moment, they may be moved at some point though.

• Like 1

Probably about the right ratio in general. Quite a lot of sheep in view from my office window today and no black ones at all.

But a few years ago there used to be a herd near Lambourn that was all black sheep.

The Farm we stayed on in July was all White ones I think.

• RMweb Gold

West Coast north of Lancaster had a whole field of black sheep yesterday. Amused me as I was reading this thread at the time!

Paul.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Apologies Andy - slightly off subject but this reminded me of a cow that 'disappeared' on a Scottish island when as a student and resident with the farmers family.  It was a puzzle until one morning ... we found that the cow had sunk into and died in a bog area ... how did we know? ... well the changes going on had produced lots of gas and it had 'floated' to the top of the bog!  Recovery showed just how resourceful were this breed of Scottish crofter farmers.

A week behind in my reading, so I missed this at the time. I'm sure Andy's cows are also clever enough to be academically inclined. That could also explain the ones lying down... happens to lots of students after a night out! Even if they're not up to student residency standards I'm sure they can work out which field they should be in. Having said that a cow taking up residency with a farmer's family may not be quite that clever if the farm happens to be a beef farm rather than dairy!

Sorry, I'll go back to my serious catch up reading now!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

Morning all and cheers Guys for all the Cow / Sheep stories.

I'm just having a final tidy up and putting Locos away ready for my Holidays on Saturday. We have Family staying here whilst were away, and our Boy, (well Boy / he's 52) will be using TOPS for his work room whilst here.

PLEASE NOTE = I will have NO internet whilst away, so NO PM's please after Friday 3rd November until after 16th November.

Hi Andy

Trying to catch upon your posts for the last couple of weeks is an interesting task.

I really like the paintings and like others prints of those would be great.

The progress on the layout is certainly worth while. Another Andy P masterpiece.

Enjoy the break