Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

O.K. lets start Page 100 with a quick summery of where I am with the Build.  

The Fields are done, but still need detailing,

attachicon.gifSummery of where we are so far 006.JPG

Hi Andy

Thanks for the update, well done4. Just one quick question have you called the vet for the cow that has fallen over?

Hi Andy....Super work throughout.....Are you using MDF, Chipboard or similar form your platforms...? Unsure (still) as the best way forwards when I get around (whenever that may be) to form mine...?

Cheers and regards as always...

Bob

Hi Andy, 

I like the 'Update' you gave above of the whole layout, and I agree some areas are finished, I do actually think that the farm track is outstanding in how it looks, like many farm tracks I've seen over the years.

Also the small road junction triangle looks great, reminds me of a certain little junction near Denbigh where I grew up. Just needs a fingerpost sign now!

I'm reluctant to show a 'Update'/'where I am at' of Talyllyn as there would be too many waiting to be finished comments!!!!!!!!

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

That would be good to have a catch up mate, we are away from 4th Nov for 10 day to escape the worst of the Fireworks, although they have already started around here, so all you'll get here is the House sitter, haha.

Haha! No problem, I'll try and do it Thursday if not before :) Actually got a day off!!

Hi Andy

Thanks for the update, well done4. Just one quick question have you called the vet for the cow that has fallen over?

If not, there's going to be a good roast on Sunday :)

Rich

• Like 1

Hi Andy

Vet on call, it turned out to be some whisky in the water.  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :scared:

Hi Andy....Super work throughout.....Are you using MDF, Chipboard or similar form your platforms...? Unsure (still) as the best way forwards when I get around (whenever that may be) to form mine...?

Cheers and regards as always...

Bob

Hi Bob, For Dore End I've used the Peco Platforms, but for Kings Moreton with it's curve, and Much Dithering, I've used 18mm MDF, treated with PVA to seal it, and Peco Platform edging with the nipples cut off for a flush fit, then some Peco walling to finish off, NOT the sticky brick paper they provide.

Hi Andy, 

I like the 'Update' you gave above of the whole layout, and I agree some areas are finished, I do actually think that the farm track is outstanding in how it looks, like many farm tracks I've seen over the years.

Also the small road junction triangle looks great, reminds me of a certain little junction near Denbigh where I grew up. Just needs a fingerpost sign now!

I'm reluctant to show a 'Update'/'where I am at' of Talyllyn as there would be too many waiting to be finished comments!!!!!!!!

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jints, Yes the Finger sign's, Speed limits, junction sign's, whitish lines, steep hill down sign for where the road disappears etc.

• Like 3

Your right mate, I removed the post you've referred  to but please leave yours in place otherwise it will mess up this page, hahah

It's a pity you haven't got the farmhouse nearby.

You could then have had the local busybody in coverstaion with the farmer.

"Please can you remove that dead cow, by this afternoon? - We've a childrens party next door this evening.

I can vouch that would be prototypical, no names etc

• Like 2

It's a pity you haven't got the farmhouse nearby.

You could then have had the local busybody in coverstaion with the farmer.

"Please can you remove that dead cow, by this afternoon? - We've a childrens party next door this evening.

I can vouch that would be prototypical, no names etc

I can just imaging that Tony, When we lived in Buckfast, some NEW EX Londoners complained about the noise the Bull was making in the Field at the back of us, hahah :no:  :no:  :no:

I can just imaging that Tony, When we lived in Buckfast, some NEW EX Londoners complained about the noise the Bull was making in the Field at the back of us, hahah :no:  :no:  :no:

Another scenareo I've just remembered, a few months back when the official disposal guy arrived to collect a cow that had died of old age. He instructed that it be put in the back of the truck, next to the giraffe!

Prototype for anything, who's brave enough to do it?

Londoners do get a bad rap when they move out to the country.  I heard of a lady in Herefordshire who ran down the field below her house to remonstrate with the farmer who was laying the hedge in the traditional way.  "What are you doing!  You are ruining my view!"

• RMweb Premium

Londoners do get a bad rap when they move out to the country.  I heard of a lady in Herefordshire who ran down the field below her house to remonstrate with the farmer who was laying the hedge in the traditional way.  "What are you doing!  You are ruining my view!"

It isn't only city dwellers. A couple form the west country moved to East Anglia. They helped themselves to a couple of turnips from the huge pile they found in the corner of a field. The turnips took ages to cook and didn't taste very nice.

Not much beet is grown in the west. :no:

Hi Bob, For Dore End I've used the Peco Platforms, but for Kings Moreton with it's curve, and Much Dithering, I've used 18mm MDF, treated with PVA to seal it, and Peco Platform edging with the nipples cut off for a flush fit, then some Peco walling to finish off, NOT the sticky brick paper they provide.

Hi Andy.....

Thanks for the ino.....

Exploring all the avenues for platform building......

like the idea of building my own as the platforms on cambrian Street....do have a slight smooth curve on the mains and have the intention to form them from either 18mm mdf or even I have seen it and been suggested using two layers of 9mm plasterboard , which although a bit messy to initially when cutting, will be lighter in nature and can be glued together, finally screwed easily down to the baseboard, then sealed with a pva topping to be painted and given an edge with suitable material.....any thoughts guys....?

I must say I was quite alarmed at first when I scan read your suggestion to cut your nipples off when using Peco edges...then I realised on rereading you meant the plastic sprue ....phew what a relief mate...!

:jester:

Regards as always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Great to see your feeling better Andy .....so boring on here when your to around ...... having said that with all those jobs to do I really do think you should pull your finger out and get things done ...come on ....Excellent really coming together now looking forward to your visit next month

• Like 1

Hi Andy.....

Thanks for the ino.....

Exploring all the avenues for platform building......

like the idea of building my own as the platforms on cambrian Street....do have a slight smooth curve on the mains and have the intention to form them from either 18mm mdf or even I have seen it and been suggested using two layers of 9mm plasterboard , which although a bit messy to initially when cutting, will be lighter in nature and can be glued together, finally screwed easily down to the baseboard, then sealed with a pva topping to be painted and given an edge with suitable material.....any thoughts guys....?

I must say I was quite alarmed at first when I scan read your suggestion to cut your nipples off when using Peco edges...then I realised on rereading you meant the plastic sprue ....phew what a relief mate...!

:jester:

Regards as always...

Bob

I certainly couldn't recommend Plasterboard Bob.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Another scenareo I've just remembered, a few months back when the official disposal guy arrived to collect a cow that had died of old age. He instructed that it be put in the back of the truck, next to the giraffe!

Prototype for anything, who's brave enough to do it?

Apologies Andy - slightly off subject but this reminded me of a cow that 'disappeared' on a Scottish island when as a student and resident with the farmers family.  It was a puzzle until one morning ... we found that the cow had sunk into and died in a bog area ... how did we know? ... well the changes going on had produced lots of gas and it had 'floated' to the top of the bog!  Recovery showed just how resourceful were this breed of Scottish crofter farmers.

• Like 2

Great to see your feeling better Andy .....so boring on here when your to around ...... having said that with all those jobs to do I really do think you should pull your finger out and get things done ...come on ....Excellent really coming together now looking forward to your visit next month

Cheers Martin, Yes really looking forward to coming up the Mountain, and may not do a lot more before I come to Wales.

• Like 1

Despite saying in my last post that I may not do a lot more before my Holidays, I have made a start on the Field above the Pub.

I've reduced the height of it to match the embankment for the Yard, and because it's part of the removable Canal Section I cant join the fencing at the top.

post-9335-0-78034700-1508840668_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-00188900-1508840697_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-86300900-1508840723_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-91604100-1508840751_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17

Another 20 Sheep now added to the Main Field and also some to the new Pub Field. They along with the Cows are all now PVA'd down, so shouldn't keep falling over when I'm doing jobs. I do have another 10 Cows to add, but they need more Black Paint first.

post-9335-0-59707600-1508850685_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-63926600-1508850710_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-70071900-1508850737_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-79144700-1508850762_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-49888600-1508850793_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92636400-1508850911_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87129600-1508850936_thumb.jpg

I've also added some 4mm Mixed Grass and Weeds to the Yard Embankment over most of the 2mm Dead Grass, but that all still needs hoovering up later when dry, (probably Thursday now,as I'm out all day tomorrow).

post-9335-0-15131100-1508850819_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-61695100-1508850850_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-10092700-1508850879_thumb.jpg

NOTE = There is still one Dead Cow in the pics above which I saw after doing the pics, now sorted

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Another 20 Sheep now added to the Main Field and also some to the new Pub Field. They along with the Cows are all now PVA'd down, so shouldn't keep falling over when I'm doing jobs. I do have another 10 Cows to add, but they need more Black Paint first.

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 001.JPG

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 002.JPG

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 003.JPG

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 004.JPG

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 005.JPG

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 009.JPG

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 010.JPG

I've also added some 4mm Mixed Grass and Weeds to the Yard Embankment over most of the 2mm Dead Grass, but that all still needs hoovering up later when dry, (probably Thursday now,as I'm out all day tomorrow).

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 006.JPG

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 007.JPG

attachicon.gifMore Sheep etc 008.JPG

NOTE = There is still one Dead Cow in the pics above which I saw after doing the pics, now sorted

Hi Andy

Picture 4 et al.  Not often  do I comment  this way but, not sure about sheep in this 'field' although you seem to focus on it.  It is a bit small and there is no recognised access.  It is the sort where someone who 'knows someone' (friendly farmer) might get a single sheep in just to keep the grass low.  Hope that helps.

Cheers, Peter