Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Indeed - and a good deal of mirth followed it appearing on children's tv in the early '60s!

I preferred Bristol Zoo with Johnny Morris (who was as I'm sure you know a Vice-President of the Bluebell Railway Preservation Society at one time).

• RMweb Gold

Well the best laid plans of Mouse and me have gone astray.

What am I jibering on about, well it's the position of the Up Main Signal. Mike / The Stationmaster, said it needs to go as close to the Junction as possible, but unfortunately the curve / over hang of Stock will not allow it to go where I showed in a previous Post. 

So, a compromise has had to be made, and the Signal is on the strait, but I will have to live with that, I guess that's the problem with none prototypical Model Curves.

Here's some pics to show what I mean.

There is an easy answer to that Andy - if there's room - and that is to put the two signals next to each other where you have already put the one for the loop.  Very GWR as it happens and rarely seen on a layout but ideally the one for the loop should be shorter, and have a shorter arm, than the one for the Main Line.  Oh and put those two ground discs back in - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

• Like 2

There is an easy answer to that Andy - if there's room - and that is to put the two signals next to each other where you have already put the one for the loop.  Very GWR as it happens and rarely seen on a layout but ideally the one for the loop should be shorter, and have a shorter arm, than the one for the Main Line.  Oh and put those two ground discs back in - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look at putting them side by side after Lunch, I won't shorten the Post or the Arm but I'l see how it looks.

Yes I hadn't forgotten the Ground Signals, I just forgot to show them second time.

• Like 2

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look at putting them side by side after Lunch, I won't shorten the Post or the Arm but I'l see how it looks.

Yes I hadn't forgotten the Ground Signals, I just forgot to show them second time.

Yes it's worked, I have mounted the two Signals side by side, and also jacked up the Main Signal, and lowered the Branch Signal for a height difference, I'm not going to alter the Arm though, there far to expensive for that.

post-9335-0-62870800-1504624411_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-36073600-1504624435_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-20132800-1504624463_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-31471700-1504624478_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Don't look Ethel, :O hahahh Do you remember that Record?

Well I've laid about 85% of the Ballast (I've run out and so I'm re stocking tomorrow,) and covered it in Diluted PVA, hopefully tomorrow it will look O.K. but I'm out tomorrow so I will be back on it on Thursday. 

Just a note, I put Loco Oil around all the Point mechanisms before wetting the Ballast, re checked it all afterwards and there all firing as they should.

Cheers Andy 

That is something I have not considered before. Makes sense, and so does masking the point blades and stock rails where electric contact is needed. I might learn something one day through the interwebthingy web sight. 

Edit, yes I do remember that record, I now have a vision of you running away from me STREAKING

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Cheers Andy 

That is something I have not considered before. Makes sense, and so does masking the point blades and stock rails where electric contact is needed. I might learn something one day through the interwebthingy web sight. 

We NEVER stop learning Clive, the day I stop learning will be the day my little tiny toes turn up for good, then I'll say from my grave, I wish I'd know I was going , I'd have had a Party. :O  hahha. :no:  :no:  :no:

• Like 4

Yes it's worked, I have mounted the two Signals side by side, and also jacked up the Main Signal, and lowered the Branch Signal for a height difference, I'm not going to alter the Arm though, there far to expensive for that.

Very unusual siting, I must confess I don't recall seeing this layout before but it makes interesting viewing and definitely a talking point. 

This is really coming on - great work! The perspective in the modelled landscape and backscene is really effective. I do like the look of the BR blue stock running on it too!

Cheers, Chris

Thanks very much Chris, there will be more Banger Blue at the weekend and maybe some more Video as well I hope.

I have some mates coming around, one  on Sat afternoon and another in the evening, so that should be good.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the best laid plans of Mouse and me have gone astray.

What am I jibering on about, well it's the position of the Up Main Signal. Mike / The Stationmaster, said it needs to go as close to the Junction as possible, but unfortunately the curve / over hang of Stock will not allow it to go where I showed in a previous Post. 

So, a compromise has had to be made, and the Signal is on the strait, but I will have to live with that, I guess that's the problem with none prototypical Model Curves.

Here's some pics to show what I mean.

Full size they sometimes had problems putting signals where they wanted.  

Don

Didn't the GWR name a Castle after your goodself Ian?

Well, yes and no. I am aware of the loco in question, but, while Dudley is indeed my surname, it emerged when we went to register my father's death in 1982 that he had changed his name, including forenames, circa 1938. We have no idea why and no-one to ask, then or certainly now. So whether the loco was named before then is something a thousand RMwebbers will rush to tell me, no doubt!

And a zoo ...... !

My ancestors lived at said Castle! I live about a mile from the zoo (which surrounds the remains of the castle...)

Sorry for going off topic Andy

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy 

Edit, yes I do remember that record, I now have a vision of you running away from me STREAKING

Could be worse - he could've been running towards you...

R. Stevens.

Don't look Ethel, :O hahahh Do you remember that Record?

Well I've laid about 85% of the Ballast (I've run out and so I'm re stocking tomorrow,) and covered it in Diluted PVA, hopefully tomorrow it will look O.K. but I'm out tomorrow so I will be back on it on Thursday. 

Just a note, I put Loco Oil around all the Point mechanisms before wetting the Ballast, re checked it all afterwards and there all firing as they should.

Andy P- really liking the fields scenery with that farm lane- nice modelling.

regards Andy R

• Like 1

Andy P- really liking the fields scenery with that farm lane- nice modelling.

regards Andy R

Thanks Andy, Very kind of you.

I've just had a quick look outside in TOPS at the Track, and I'm pleased to report that 99.9 and three quarter % :O  :no: of the PVA has now cleared and the Ballast has set nicely, the other bit should have cleared  by the time I get home tonight, so some pics then.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Very unusual siting, I must confess I don't recall seeing this layout before but it makes interesting viewing and definitely a talking point. 

Actually the GWR did quite a lot of it with loop/refuge siding exit signals when the Main Line signal was likely to be alongside.  I think the main reason was that such sidings weren't always laid with a big enough six foot to put the Main Line signal in so it migrated to the outside alongside the siding/loop signal. It was less common it appears on former broad gauge lines because there was sometimes sufficient room to put the Main line signal in the extra wide six foot between the two Main Lines.  

And of course putting the two signals next to each other saved the cost of a bracket structure or the need (and cost) of a crane to erect it.   Some of these lasted quite late judging by photos and some were even renewed in tubular steel form but they had been far more common in the age of timber signal posts.

Actually the GWR did quite a lot of it with loop/refuge siding exit signals when the Main Line signal was likely to be alongside.  I think the main reason was that such sidings weren't always laid with a big enough six foot to put the Main Line signal in so it migrated to the outside alongside the siding/loop signal. It was less common it appears on former broad gauge lines because there was sometimes sufficient room to put the Main line signal in the extra wide six foot between the two Main Lines.  

And of course putting the two signals next to each other saved the cost of a bracket structure or the need (and cost) of a crane to erect it.   Some of these lasted quite late judging by photos and some were even renewed in tubular steel form but they had been far more common in the age of timber signal posts.

As always Mike, LOADS of interesting info, thanks again for all your help and guidance.

• RMweb Gold

Well that explains why they didn't adopt a bracket. I had naively assumed they would have set a post up then build a platform before erecting the short post for the bracket signals. 

Don

• Like 1