Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

Busy Day tomorrow, a full day of weathering in the pipeline for some friends,  it will probably take all the day and so very little will be done on KM.

Friday I'm off to Portsmouth and back for the Day to deliver the wife for a weeks holiday with Family, and so it will be Saturday before there will be many more up-dates I'm afraid. 

Love that long sweeping reverse curve Andy.

Thanks Alan, I think it was Rich / Marsh Lane that suggested I ease the curve after I removed the Depot, and it was certainly worth ripping out all the Pointwork and re doing it, it's now far more graceful and much more effective with the Fields behind and the eased curve.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On the line from Hull towards Doncaster were the the Sheffield route turns off  (sorry cant remember station) there are two signals side by side but not full height ,like the ballast and signals.

The LMR (but not the Western) had a habit in a few places - seemingly most likely post nationalisation - of using two adjacent straight post signals as a splitting signal instead of using a bracket structure.  So very different in concept from the way the Western put two straight post signals next to each other, and much later in era.

Well that explains why they didn't adopt a bracket. I had naively assumed they would have set a post up then build a platform before erecting the short post for the bracket signals. 

Don

The Reading design tubular steel bracket structures were normally assembled prior to being erected Don (I say 'normally' because that's the ones I know about and it is also far simpler to do it that way than mess about up in the air securing the bracket framework to the main upright).   I presume the timber structures were also done that way as it would have been far simpler to bore the holes in the main upright with it on the ground that with it standing up and working from a ladder.

Straight post signals are relatively easy fora gang to erect without using a crane - I was involved in moving one at a preservation site after somebody else had erected it in the wrong place (out by several feet) and under the direction a of a skilled 'good old fashioned S&T Linesman' who laughed at somebody's suggestion that we should use a crane we got it out of the old hole and moved it to the new hole and erected it with no more than a gang of willing helpers and some ropes; that was signal with the arm at 17ft 6" above rail level.

Andy will of course now be telling us that he can erect one of ths signals on his own ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Reading design tubular steel bracket structures were normally assembled prior to being erected . . .

They made one in Reading works in autumn '75. No idea where for, or whether that was one of the last.

Paul.

• Like 2

That's a cracking weathering job on the 'Crusty Crosti' Andy....splendid indeed....God I do love a dirty girl !!!!!!!!! :jester: especially with curves in the right places  :triniti: ...... 

Yeah, I have to agree, I too like Sh1tty powerful looking Black Engines, the only ones I've left fairly clean are the Black 5's, the B1 and Stanier Mogul.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

They made one in Reading works in autumn '75. No idea where for, or whether that was one of the last.

Paul.

They still had a pretty good stock of parts almost up to closure.  What they used to do with brackets would appear to have been that they put them together in the works and then stripped them down to suitable size for transport on/in a wagon.  Thus the bracket structure 'girder' was put together in the works and then mated with the mast at site prior to erection.  Still a common sight in the '60s to see couple of wagons of 'signal kits' in Reading Low Level sidings in the early evening on most weekdays - I hada  good view as my train home ran on the Up Relief so gave a good view of the Low Level Sidings ;)

• RMweb Gold

The LMR (but not the Western) had a habit in a few places - seemingly most likely post nationalisation - of using two adjacent straight post signals as a splitting signal instead of using a bracket structure.  So very different in concept from the way the Western put two straight post signals next to each other, and much later in era.

The Reading design tubular steel bracket structures were normally assembled prior to being erected Don (I say 'normally' because that's the ones I know about and it is also far simpler to do it that way than mess about up in the air securing the bracket framework to the main upright).   I presume the timber structures were also done that way as it would have been far simpler to bore the holes in the main upright with it on the ground that with it standing up and working from a ladder.

Straight post signals are relatively easy fora gang to erect without using a crane - I was involved in moving one at a preservation site after somebody else had erected it in the wrong place (out by several feet) and under the direction a of a skilled 'good old fashioned S&T Linesman' who laughed at somebody's suggestion that we should use a crane we got it out of the old hole and moved it to the new hole and erected it with no more than a gang of willing helpers and some ropes; that was signal with the arm at 17ft 6" above rail level.

Andy will of course now be telling us that he can erect one of ths signals on his own ;)

Having erected poles I would be confident of erecting a signal with two others (preferably big chaps with plenty of strength) depending on how critical the height is you could drill the holes needed while on the ground. I assume all the bits were added once the pole was up to avoid damage.

Don

• Like 1

Guest Digital

As the days go by your layout just get's better and better.

Each day brings things on that little bit more and adds more life and detail.

Things are looking superb Andy and you should be so proud of what your have achieved to date.

I like several other people on this thread look forward to each and every update.

The point rodding and ballast is looking great.

Look forward to the next update

Regards

John.

• RMweb Gold

Andy when I log onto the Youtube site it is now offering me a choice of Andy Peters videos as the Andy Peters recommended channel. First railway one I've seen for a named person. Good on you I particularly like the tutorial ones.

Don

They still had a pretty good stock of parts almost up to closure.  What they used to do with brackets would appear to have been that they put them together in the works and then stripped them down to suitable size for transport on/in a wagon.  Thus the bracket structure 'girder' was put together in the works and then mated with the mast at site prior to erection.  Still a common sight in the '60s to see couple of wagons of 'signal kits' in Reading Low Level sidings in the early evening on most weekdays - I hada  good view as my train home ran on the Up Relief so gave a good view of the Low Level Sidings ;)

Nice idea for a Wagon with some bit's of Signal either to erected or just been dismantled, nice one.

• Like 2

As the days go by your layout just get's better and better.

Each day brings things on that little bit more and adds more life and detail.

Things are looking superb Andy and you should be so proud of what your have achieved to date.

I like several other people on this thread look forward to each and every update.

The point rodding and ballast is looking great.

Look forward to the next update

Regards

John.

Thanks John, hopefully some meaningful running over the weekend and some Videos to match, (Blue Period which I know you like), then a start on more scenics next week.

Glad you like what I've done so far John.

• Like 1

Andy when I log onto the Youtube site it is now offering me a choice of Andy Peters videos as the Andy Peters recommended channel. First railway one I've seen for a named person. Good on you I particularly like the tutorial ones.

Don

Thanks Don, everything now goes under, Andy Peters Model Railways / G-TAP Productions, although there is older stuff, and some bits George T did that just go under Building Trebudoc etc.

G-TAP came from George T on here and myself = GT AP, we did some Videos many years ago and also had the G-TAP Blues Band.

There will be some more over the weekend, but I've been back through my Kings Moreton ones and now Numbered them, (in my files, not on You Tube), BUT from now on the Videos will be Numbered on You Tube as well, so the next one to appear will be; Kings Moreton No 18, to make following them easier, as I feel there will be many, and in the many different periods over the coming Days / Weeks / Months / Years.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Having erected poles I would be confident of erecting a signal with two others (preferably big chaps with plenty of strength) depending on how critical the height is you could drill the holes needed while on the ground. I assume all the bits were added once the pole was up to avoid damage.

Don

The one I was involved with was complete - including the ladder (which was something of a nuisance as it happened) so I suspect that at least the Worcester gang had an inclination to erect more or less complete signals apart from the arms (which were an easy bolt-on job) and probably without the lamp case. Just about everything else apart from the post, down rod and balance weight and the concrete bits came from works ready attached.

Just waiting for Bob, / 86250 to arrive and then it's a running session, and then after 7pm Jeff / Binny is due, and that will be a late nighter I think, with loads to run and Video I hope.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Thanks Don, everything now goes under, Andy Peters Model Railways / G-TAP Productions, although there is older stuff, and some bits George T did that just go under Building Trebudoc etc.

G-TAP came from George T on here and myself = GT AP, we did some Videos many years ago and also had the G-TAP Blues Band.

There will be some more over the weekend, but I've been back through my Kings Moreton ones and now Numbered them, (in my files, not on You Tube), BUT from now on the Videos will be Numbered on You Tube as well, so the next one to appear will be; Kings Moreton No 18, to make following them easier, as I feel there will be many, and in the many different periods over the coming Days / Weeks / Months / Years.

Good times buddy...

• Like 2