Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Enjoyed operating Glen Roy and what springs to mind is Loughborough a few years back when a guy came up to you and said "If you ever want to sell it let me know".  It was a lot longer ago than 3 -years.

Peter 

Enjoyed operating Glen Roy and what springs to mind is Loughborough a few years back when a guy came up to you and said "If you ever want to sell it let me know".  It was a lot longer ago than 3 -years.

Peter 

Andy

Glen Roy on E-bay just in case you were interested

Model Railway Exhibition Layout "Glen Roy" DCC OO Gauge

Chaz

Crikey That's interesting, when I sold it, it was to a Chap in Daganham, Essex, and it's now in Four Marks, Hampshire so either he sold it on, or he's moved, hence the SALE due to lack of space for it.

As Peter say's the chap came up to me at the Loughborough Show and said here's my phone No, if ever you want to sell it, ring me. He had been following it on You Tube and seen it in BRM, MR and RM, and came to the Loughborough Show especially to see it, and ask the question.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

He is missing a trick there Andy he should be advertising it as an 'Andy Peters Layout' that would up the price a bit you having featured in all the magazines. I received the modeller today and there on one page is a shot of your club members including you. I bet it won't be be long before Kings Moreton gets featured.

Don

You are simply an Rmweb LEGEND!!!

Cracking work!   :)

Morning Dan, hahha that did make me laugh mate, I've been called many things in my time, but never that, hahah, and no, TBH I'm not, true Legends of the Model Railway World produce things like Buckingham Great Central etc which is one mans work over a WHOLE Lifetime. I'm just a basic Bodgit mate, and happy just to show a few of my more successful jobs on here..

But thanks anyway Dan.

• Like 2

He is missing a trick there Andy he should be advertising it as an 'Andy Peters Layout' that would up the price a bit you having featured in all the magazines. I received the modeller today and there on one page is a shot of your club members including you. I bet it won't be be long before Kings Moreton gets featured.

Don

Thanks Don, KM will be many (I hope if I live that long) years before it's anywhere near fit to Photograph, I've had a few days off since George went back on Thursday afternoon and I haven't even opened the door, other than to get a screwdriver. 

As for Glen Roy, I hope it sell's for the chap, and finds a good home somewhere.

I wasn't aware of our Club Photo in the new RM, I must seek out a copy, thanks.

Yes, it was a surprise to see so many of our 'retired' members pictured at the end of a good article.  The rest of us were still at work!

Peter

I can't think when it would have been taken, unless it was when we did the O Gauge article, and all the Old Retired O Gaugers were the only ones present. 

Morning Dan, hahha that did make me laugh mate, I've been called many things in my time, but never that, hahah, and no, TBH I'm not, true Legends of the Model Railway World produce things like Buckingham Great Central etc which is one mans work over a WHOLE Lifetime. I'm just a basic Bodgit mate, and happy just to show a few of my more successful jobs on here..

But thanks anyway Dan.

You underestimate yourself Andy, it still takes skill to bodgit :boast:

• Like 1

You underestimate yourself Andy, it still takes skill to bodgit :boast:

Cheers Mick, but I'm sure a lot more skill is needed to do it as a pro would do it, just look at Larry's Carrog, for accurate detail of the prototype, or Kevin's Little Muddle, as the perfect imaginary BLT to mention  just 2 of the many fine examples here on RM WebB.

But I could make BODGITING an art form, ahhah :no:  :no:  :sungum:

Hi Andy, Nice to see one of your layouts alive and kicking, wondering just how many of them are still up and running ?

Well George, I know that as well as Glen Roy, there is Trebudoc, Deesdale Road, Glenfinick, Pencarne, Porth Merryn and West Shed are all still about in almost original form, and Fiddlers Yard is with another Club Member, but has been vastly butchered and IMHO totally Bu66ered as almost all of it's been painted Matt Black, YUCK. :no: .

The last I heard of St Budoc, it had a name change and some changes and was on the Exhibition Circuit down South.

• RMweb Gold

You don't give yourself enough credit Andy. I know that spending years building a P4 masterpiece would not suit you. However it is surprising how many of the P4 masterpieces fail to be completed. When it comes to the sort of thing an 'Average Modeller' (as the RM used to say) would aspire to build. You show how with flair and imagination something a bit special can be achieved not just once but repeatedly. No small achievement.  This is confirmed by the amount of interest your threads generate.

Don

• Like 1

You don't give yourself enough credit Andy. I know that spending years building a P4 masterpiece would not suit you. However it is surprising how many of the P4 masterpieces fail to be completed. When it comes to the sort of thing an 'Average Modeller' (as the RM used to say) would aspire to build. You show how with flair and imagination something a bit special can be achieved not just once but repeatedly. No small achievement.  This is confirmed by the amount of interest your threads generate.

Don

Indeed, couldn't agree more and also Andy's stuff on here is so inspirational for this particular very average modeller.

• Like 1

Morning all, and thanks again Don and Brian for your kind words and encouragement chaps.

My followers has risen from 72 to 80 since I started posting the Videos a couple of weeks back, so that at least is encouraging, and I'm hoping later this week to make a start on more scenics. 

I still haven't been into TOPS since George went last Thursday as other things have taken priority, but I do have another weathering job to do later this week, so I need to set up my weathering spray booth and check the New Air Brush is O.K. although a quick check was done when it arrived last Wednesday.

One reason for the delay other than other things holding me up, is that I still cant make my mind up what I want the area inside the door / near side of the Cutting to look like or have on it. I have drawn out Fields and a Farm Track but that is so similar to what I have all along the back. Now I know in reality that would more than likely be the case, but I wanted something a little different in that area. 

I may commission my friend Trevor Toon to build another Thatched Cottage for me as I had on Pencarne, and then place it into a Lane and I can do a nice old fashioned garden again. 

post-9335-0-53027000-1505720880_thumb.jpg

I'm sure I'll come up with something soon, 

Cheers again for following my ramblings.

• Like 19

Andy

That cottage is lovely.  I have to admit that I am often sorry that my project is (has to be) prototypical which means I have to model what was there rather than pick on a suitable subject to "fill a space".  As it is, there have to be compromises (even Tony Wright has made a few on Little Bytham).  But your layout along with Larry's Carrog keep me inspired.  I am currently waiting to get back to the workbench this coming Saturday, unload all the goodies bought at Telford, and warm up the soldering iron(s).

Ramble on!

Paul

• Like 2

Andy

That cottage is lovely.  I have to admit that I am often sorry that my project is (has to be) prototypical which means I have to model what was there rather than pick on a suitable subject to "fill a space".  As it is, there have to be compromises (even Tony Wright has made a few on Little Bytham).  But your layout along with Larry's Carrog keep me inspired.  I am currently waiting to get back to the workbench this coming Saturday, unload all the goodies bought at Telford, and warm up the soldering iron(s).

Ramble on!

Paul

Morning Paul, that's why BITTON came to a pre mature sticky end down the tip, hahha. 

I do admire Larry's work following the prototype, but I see now he is talking of deviating from the strait and narrow and may alter the Goods Yard for a better and more interesting operation, and that was one of my problems with Bitton, the lack of good's operation other than as per the prototype with very little shunting.

I've ordered the Snow Cottage, (above) it will be about 5 weeks, but in the mean time I can now get on with the Land form and work out how the Lane will fit in, and where the Cottage will sit in relation to the Fields around it and the Tracks running below.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I was going to say go for the cottage but you have already done so. Modelling prototype stations can be fun but it can also be restrictive they also usually need compressing as they are far too large. It does seem to be strange modelling somewhere then adding sidings to give more shunting best choose the right sort of place first. When you look at a layout and do a double take Have I been there / seen this for real? that's good modelling.

Don 

• Like 3

I was going to say go for the cottage but you have already done so. Modelling prototype stations can be fun but it can also be restrictive they also usually need compressing as they are far too large. It does seem to be strange modelling somewhere then adding sidings to give more shunting best choose the right sort of place first. When you look at a layout and do a double take Have I been there / seen this for real? that's good modelling.

Don 

Basing a layout on a known location and then adding or subtracting things has been going on since time immemorial.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Basing a layout on a known location and then adding or subtracting things has been going on since time immemorial.

And if it enhances the operation Larry, then that has to be a good thing, at the end of the day, it's a hobby, and if you do alter Carrog for better operation, you will get many more years of enjoyment out of it.

• Like 1

Which brings up the question.  Which is more important (to the modeller), making the model or operating it?  I have yet to get my head around this one as I am really enjoying the making of it but am a long way off the operating of it.

At the moment I have no idea of the answer in my case, so I bash on with the prototype and will wait for an answer later.  I just hope the end result will not be a disappointment but if it is then I will have learned something.

(I remember listening to a motivational speaker in America saying that "you can always teach an old dog new tricks, it is fed up with the old ones")

• Like 2