Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

would there be a wooden fence around behind the Buffers, but leaving access to the Signals?

A railway must be fenced off, but only at the outer boundary. Since privatisation, that has led to fences between NR and other depots that didn't exist under BR, so don't regard current practice as what would have been the case in the 70's. I don't think there would have been a fence, but I stand to be corrected.

Paul.

It did seem as if railways bought the minimum amount of land necessary judging by the position of some boundary fences.  Placing cartons and bags full of scenic materials all over the layout is one of those necessities for some of us. I was glad to tidy up finally and actually see my fiddle yard tracks once again. Anyway, it is all coming on well and the sidings do look a lot more lived in now.  Those puddles are a neat touch but are not something i personally would not add.....There are enough real ones around here every morning!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

I would have thought that a fence marking the companies boundary is that would have been needed, say at the base of the small embankment with a gate on the track leading into it.

H&S then isn't what it is now.....

• RMweb Gold

I agree with those saying the railway would just fence along the boundary of their land.  Sometimes it seems well away from the track as cuttings and embankments are fenced at the top and the bottom respectively. The railway has to buy sufficient land to cover all the earthworks. Possibly with modern Health and Safety concerns there may be some fencing of mainlines  but I don't remember seeing any in the 50s and 60s. 

Don 

• RMweb Gold

Question please, would there be a wooden fence around behind the Buffers, but leaving access to the Signals?

attachicon.gifSouth Yard 6 005 - Copy.JPG

No.

Well you did ask.  It's all railway lay so no need to fence one bit from another but a distinct need for trains on the loop to be beware of flying wagons as they leap over the stop blocks or shove them back a few feet.   A great story of a 'bright young man' who visited the Bristol Yard at Severn Tunnel Junction and found at least half of the stop blocks had either been demolished or, mostly, been pushed back anything between about 5 and 15 feet.  he duly put in a report suggesting that all the dead end sidings in that part of the yard should be extended which would mean none of the stop blocks would suffer damage in the future.  someone with far greater sense and exoperience than him replied that it didn't matter where the stop blocks went as someone would still manage to hit them or push something over the top of them.

• Like 4

So cheers Guys, NO FENCE around the back of the buffers, but there will be one along the TOP of the Embankment marking the edge of the Farmer Field as at the other side of the Main Lines.

The will also be a gate into the Yard where the field drops down.

• Like 7

The yard is looking cracking Andy you've really caught the look and atmosphere to a 'T' mate

Thanks Martin, Sorry I wasn't up to receiving Visitors over the weekend mate, Grim Reaper is still here with Cain Saw and Scythe. I hope you enjoyed The Great Electric Train Show and had a good Journey.

I'm really pleased with the Yard, and it's DOUBLED the use of the Goods Yard at KM which is it's main purpose.

See you in about 4 weeks mate. 

• Like 1

More great progress Andy. Good to see that I am not the only one who recycles Chinese takeaway containers for modelling purposes!

Thanks Andy, Yes what did we do before Chinese Take Away's? hahha. Although yesterday I did have a very old one split on me across the bottom as I tried to take the lid off, and it was 3/4 full of Earth Powder, BU66ER. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Thanks Martin, Sorry I wasn't up to receiving Visitors over the weekend mate, Grim Reaper is still here with Cain Saw and Scythe. I hope you enjoyed The Great Electric Train Show and had a good Journey.

I'm really pleased with the Yard, and it's DOUBLED the use of the Goods Yard at KM which is it's main purpose.

See you in about 4 weeks mate.

Looking forward to your visit Andy and as I promised the 0 gauge is set up ready for you to have a play with ........

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy, Yes what did we do before Chinese Take Away's? hahha. Although yesterday I did have a very old one split on me across the bottom as I tried to take the lid off, and it was 3/4 full of Earth Powder, BU66ER. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

One can imagine the words of Chinese that were muttered at the time!!!

Rich

Looking forward to your visit Andy and as I promised the 0 gauge is set up ready for you to have a play with ........

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Not again. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:  :sungum:

STUNNING CRAFTMANSHIP!  :)

Thanks Dan, I'm having a few days off now, I'm still suffering a little from this BUG, and so I've stayed indoors most of today just doing some paintings for a Gallery.

I do have some Weathering jobs arriving tomorrow, so I'll get the heater on for a bit in the morning and make a start on those, it's a 1F and Jinty for one chap, and a pair of 9F's, std and Crostie for the other Guy, so that will make a nice change.

I haven't had a proper running session for a few weeks now, so get this week out of the way, and then I can remedy that as well as trying the New Yard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not tried that what number was earth powder? The chinese do eat some odd food  :nono:

Don

A start on the Weathering yesterday with all the Chassis's, Wheels and under frames done on all 4, and a dusting on the 2 x 9F's, and finally an Enamel Gloss on the Tank /Cab sides of the 1F and 4F as he wants them almost Ex Works. That's been left to dry since about lunch time yesterday, so should be ready for either another Gloss, or if it's come out right just a finish off with detailing and Sooty Smokebox and roof for them all.

• Like 3

Glad to hear your getting better Andy

Cheers Rich, The heater's on outside now for 10 minutes, just to take the morning chill off, I don't normally work with it on, as it always stays warm in there once it's warmed up due the OTT insulation.

• Like 2