Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

I thought it had gone quiet, you where busy beavering away in TOPS.

Now you have reduced the height of the embankmant and are relying on scenery the whole area looks convincing and rural.

Keep up the good work

Thanks Kevin, Yes, once  it's covered in Grass, Foliage and some Trees it will get rid of the shinny base colour and look quite natural, I HOPE. hahha.

• RMweb Premium

Did you bake a cake in between times?

T'is looking good although I wonder if, given the shallow width of the land between stream and railway, whether the land would be quite as high.

T'is looking good although I wonder if, given the shallow width of the land between stream and railway, whether the land would be quite as high.

I took a sight line from the slope of the Fields along the back, down to the front of the baseboard, i.e. Field top  across the River and it's about right, it looks high because it's narrow. and also because the Field alongside the River goes down into the River as opposed to having a couple of ft of embankment.

BTW, No to baking the cake, but I did stop for coffee and HALF a Belgian Bun, hahha, I'll have the other half for 11's tomorrow after the Grand Prix Qualifying.

Edited by Andrew P

Flood prevention measures, maybe ?  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Looks great Andy !  Sticky buns are obviously doing you good !

• Like 1

Re cows - I was this week complimented by my (Farmers Wife) daughter, on having kept my beef and dairy herds separate.

However the discussion then continued, with the result I have had to paint all my black and white cows, with more black!

Apparently Friesians are heavier built, and more black than Holsteins. 50s/60s = friesian  80s onwards = Holstein!

Hope thats helpfull to someone, although you may wish I'd never shared the info!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Re cows - I was this week complimented by my (Farmers Wife) daughter, on having kept my beef and dairy herds separate.

However the discussion then continued, with the result I have had to paint all my black and white cows, with more black!

Apparently Friesians are heavier built, and more black than Holsteins. 50s/60s = friesian  80s onwards = Holstein!

Hope thats helpfull to someone, although you may wish I'd never shared the info!

Hi Tony

It is little details that if right can make a layout seem more realistic.

On one club layout I made a model of a group of RAF airmen dismounting from a Bedford lorry. I gave them all a kit bag which I coloured RAF blue. At a show a chap very kindly pointed out that when he was in the RAF he had a white kit bag with a blue stripe. Next show the airmen had new kit bags. I overheard a chap say "Wow, even the kit bags are the right colours". When given the right information then a model can go from good to "Wow".

• Like 3

Mr P

I do like them there cows, they look as good as some the model cows we can buy.

Looking at the state of those cows I'm surprised you haven't had a visit from the RSPCA......!!!

Hey, there's nothing wrong with them cows, that's what I thought they were!

Looking good Andy

I think they do look a bit strange, but at least you all got the idea, ahhah

In actual fact Tony / Guys, having been married to a Dairy Farmers Daughter in a previous life, I never remember seeing a clean Cow, but a couple of weeks ago when the Cow colour raised it's ugly head, I did re paint my Heard with more Black but they still need WEATHERING, but forgot to photograph them, so here they are now.

post-9335-0-27542800-1506775922_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Tony

It is little details that if right can make a layout seem more realistic.

On one club layout I made a model of a group of RAF airmen dismounting from a Bedford lorry. I gave them all a kit bag which I coloured RAF blue. At a show a chap very kindly pointed out that when he was in the RAF he had a white kit bag with a blue stripe. Next show the airmen had new kit bags. I overheard a chap say "Wow, even the kit bags are the right colours". When given the right information then a model can go from good to "Wow".

Sometimes getting the smallest detail right can make a huge difference to the look and feel of a Model, and that's not just for Railways, but any hobby where detail is added to bring something to life.

Well done Clive for taking note, and correcting your model.

After watching the F1 Qualifying this morning I went out to TOPS and continued working on the River Cherwell. I've added some some stony areas and Reeds and Weeds that will eventually be covered in Varnish for the River and should hopefully show through once dry.

Now does anyone remember back to the dark days of the 70's when we modellers would grind up Cork and dye it green for grass? Well I still have a small tub of very finely ground Brown Cork, and so, wanting to make a muddy River bank I mulched it down some more and I've added it to the side of the River, Most on the far bank will be covered in foliage, but on the near side, where the Field goes down to the River, I need a really muddy area, and so here is where I'm at this Lunchtime.

Next step, once this has dried will be a deep layer of clear Varnish.

post-9335-0-79960000-1506776692_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-71402800-1506776775_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08004700-1506776832_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-09761000-1506776885_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87755400-1506776941_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69974500-1506776994_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-08267900-1506777041_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Hi Andy....

If that herd of cattle should stray close to the trackside, I hope that they have functioning warning 'bells' around their necks.... if their 'horns' don't work... :jester:

Great work mate...

Have a great weekend...regrads to all...

Bob