Kings Moreton, (1980's BR)

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Guys, the lie of the land from the back fields suggests that it would be quite low along the front, and there definitely needs to be good sighting for the Signals. I'll have another look  at it in the morning.

The original idea of a nice deep, Sonning type Cutting is now definitely out of the window. :no:  :no:

I used to regularly cycle over a bridge across sonning cutting. Not the best view of the trains looking down from above.

Don

Scene coming together and the cows look great.

Just make sure the board is level otherwise when pouring the varnish you will end up with the well known but little seen 'The Cherwell Bore' !!!!!

On the cork issue I can remember in the 70's going to the local timber yard in Chesham with my friend Andrew and getting bags of sawdust from them.

Sieving it, dying with Colron cloths dye and using that for grass scatter - how times have changed......

At the time we thought our 009 exhibition layout - Encombe - was the bees knees as it had different grass colours to all the our layouts on show.

The things we did but then because of the limited stuff available to us modellers....

Britain's trees, budgie grit, computer chads - are a trip down memory lane!

Cheers Guys for all the Cow jokes, here is what I want to re create if I can.

The last pic is of the Oxford Canal leading into the River Cherwell.

The last picture is very like the Thames at Medley Sailing Club in Oxford, where you are allowed to call for water (i.e room) .... to avoid cows!

• Like 2

I used to regularly cycle over a bridge across sonning cutting. Not the best view of the trains looking down from above.

Don

Yep, Ground level shots in the cutting were / are always good, but the Helicopter shots are rubbish.

Scene coming together and the cows look great.

Just make sure the board is level otherwise when pouring the varnish you will end up with the well known but little seen 'The Cherwell Bore' !!!!!

On the cork issue I can remember in the 70's going to the local timber yard in Chesham with my friend Andrew and getting bags of sawdust from them.

Sieving it, dying with Colron cloths dye and using that for grass scatter - how times have changed......

At the time we thought our 009 exhibition layout - Encombe - was the bees knees as it had different grass colours to all the our layouts on show.

The things we did but then because of the limited stuff available to us modellers....

Britain's trees, budgie grit, computer chads - are a trip down memory lane!

Yes Kevin, we've had DCC, then DCC Sound, I wonder what changes we'll see over the next 10 years.

The last picture is very like the Thames at Medley Sailing Club in Oxford, where you are allowed to call for water (i.e room) .... to avoid cows!

Luckily there'll be no Boats in the Cherwell around here Tony.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes Kevin, we've had DCC, then DCC Sound, I wonder what changes we'll see over the next 10 years.

The Next Big Thing, which is well on its way already in larger scales, is the so-called Dead Rail system, where the trains are powered by on-board batteries with wireless control.

• Like 1

The Next Big Thing, which is well on its way already in larger scales, is the so-called Dead Rail system, where the trains are powered by on-board batteries with wireless control.

I saw that when we visited a GWR Layout with it a few Weeks back, but that was built and designed like that in the mid 80's.

You can just make out 2 of the 5 operators on the right / cheque shirt and white shirt.

post-9335-0-79473700-1506852935_thumb.jpg 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Why use batteries when a constant current can feed large storage devices like on-board stay-alives which it turn feed current via decoders to the motors.

As I understand it, the idea is to eliminate the need to collect current from the rails through the wheels altogether. Otherwise it's as you describe - batteries, supercapacitors or possibly other forms of energy storage that we haven't seen yet powering the motor through a decoder controlled wirelessly.

they can wirelessly recharge mobile phones, so shouldn't be too hard to have recharging points at the ends of fiddle yard lines to keep locos charged whilst not it use.

• RMweb Gold

they can wirelessly recharge mobile phones, so shouldn't be too hard to have recharging points at the ends of fiddle yard lines to keep locos charged whilst not it use.

I believe they have already done this? I think protocab demo'd it.

Back on topic... Glad to see the cows escaped before that big wave washed in..  You are going to have to play trains for a few days while that dries.

I believe they have already done this? I think protocab demo'd it.

Back on topic... Glad to see the cows escaped before that big wave washed in..  You are going to have to play trains for a few days while that dries.

Yes and NO, I don't want to cause a dust, so I've actually shut the Shed up until Thursday, although I may just pop my head in tonight and tomorrow to see how it's drying. It's blowing a hooley here, so it's very easy to get dust on it when I open the door, it's probably best left for now.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Agh yes, the Flood prevention, I forgot about that, hahah. :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:

Cheers Andie.

Sorry, but I can't help feeling that the river flowing as it does would see constant problems with water flooding the railway because its at a lower level than the river. However, with the sharp curve in the river I can equally imagine the railway having diverted the river when the railway was constructed. I'm no engineer, but perhaps rather than a grass bank between the river and railway some sort of rock protection would have been built to prevent such flooding?

Otherwise the river looks terrific.

Sorry, but I can't help feeling that the river flowing as it does would see constant problems with water flooding the railway because its at a lower level than the river. However, with the sharp curve in the river I can equally imagine the railway having diverted the river when the railway was constructed. I'm no engineer, but perhaps rather than a grass bank between the river and railway some sort of rock protection would have been built to prevent such flooding?

Otherwise the river looks terrific.

It's not actually Andrew, the River is 4mm lower than the Railway, (2 x thickness's of 2 mm cork under the Rails) but I do see what you mean.

The River around my Cousins House in Cornwall takes a 90 degree bend, and when he checked it had always been like that on old maps, it just follows the lowest cut of the Land.

River drying Report = Looking good. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4