DERBY The Roundhouse 6th & 7th May

Mike Bellamy

Visited first thing. Great show. The eminently common sense approach of selling of tickets and programmes to the waiting crowds is something other shows should adopt.

Good mix of trade and layouts, parking straightforward.

Well done to everyone involved.

Regards

Phil

• RMweb Premium

The Derby Telegraph sent a reporter to the show today which resulted in Alex being interview live on Facebook as part of a 15 minute video. Sound quality wasn't great in parts and the camera work was pretty awful as he was moving too fast and it was sometimes out of focus. You don't need to be a Facebook member to view this

https://www.facebook.com/derbytelegraph/videos/vb.142370589115824/1500222969997239/?type=2&theater

There is also a slide show with lots of photos although many are typical local newspaper type pictures without much thought about the subject of the photo but for those unable to attend it gives a flavour of what is there.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/hundreds-of-rail-enthusiasts-attend-derby-model-railway-exhbitions-at-the-roundhouse/story-30316448-detail/story.html

We open again at 10.00am on Sunday

• RMweb Gold

At least they avoided the usual "it's full steam ahead.....", "train enthusiasts were chuffed" comments in the article!

Had a good couple of hours there on Saturday after work, got what I wanted from shawplan and a colas 37 from TTC, realised though while looking at the slideshow that I didn't actually look at many layouts!

I visited with my Dad this morning, arriving at around 10.30 and leaving just before 4pm. I have to say it was a very impressive show boosted by the additional room being open. For me this featured some of the picks of the layouts on show with Oake being my favourite. I also liked the N gauge layout, Ashcombe, which really did show what was possible in a small space. Lots of other good layouts too and plenty of trade. It was nice to bump into many familiar and friendly faces. Tempted to pop in tomorrow too as have a bit of free time. Well done to the organisers. The Derby show seems to be going upwards again after the Moorways years and the Real Ale bar was a welcome addition.

• RMweb Premium

Despite travel problems experienced by some [above], this was a very enjoyable show. No car parking problems - helpful staff at College car park. Not crowded today, easy to see everything. The extra room [with the catering/bar] helped. A good selection of layouts & traders. Would have liked to see another 0 or large scale layout. The organizers really seem to have worked out how to get the best from this venue and it's the probably best Derby has ever had. Entry, park & guide for a tender which is good value.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

I fully endorse all comments above, great show and great layouts and great layout as one trader in the roundhouse noted no body gets pushed in a corner ! Best N layouts Clifton and Lowther for use of finetrax code40 in the public viewing area- running wonderfully. The "local" line Mickleover for Radbourn was a beauty to behold and ran well. In the "new" bit Ashcombe was a lovely slice on N in 4`x 2` - it all folds up and a lovely example of cameo modelling before Iain coined it !!  Always good to see Tanners Hill another slice of NSE cake with the icing on! Nearby was a lovely N plank Tinner`s  Wharf all of 6 foot long and looked fun to run.

I think this must be the China clay show of the year with 5 on display , The most entertaining "prize" goes to Caradon Junction, Mr. Chris Kelly`s take on Coombe junction. Look out for it - lovely touch of an arm sticking out of a dustbin. among others and in 4mm as well! 

This just  my take so hats off to Alex and team, yes did pick up 37114 leaflet- a good move...

Just to add that layouts in other scales and gauges were available ! ...

Should add that the ex-cow  near Tamworth all sorted by late morning and the derailment at nunnery -a loco with one bogie derailed sorted by 11.30 when I got to Derby  off a diverted XC service- bit of rare-ish track via Arlewas   

Robert   

Many thank to Alex and his fellow Mickelover colleagues for a great weekend.

Excellent venue, excellent selection of exhibits and traders - and we were well looked after.

(Albeit, as discussed with Alex, he needs to try harder to locate that Outer Mongolian narrow gauge layout, where the locos burn dried Yak dung !)

Rosamund Street performed better than expected (albeit a passing contact switch played up)

Still trying to explain to the wife how I was led astray in the Alexandra by 'Long Island Jack' !

Brian R

Although we had a few running issues on Fried Egg Bridge, some of which have already been addressed, a splendid weekend at a show destined to become 'one not to miss' in future years. Well done chaps, and also thanks to the Johnson Manderson rolling stock hire company for the loan of a few things!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Home safe and well, thanks to Alex and his crew for another great weekend.

Apologises to anyone who came to my layout for a crack and I was no where to be seen, apparently I was standing next to the bar all weekend, which is totally untrue, (ask Roger Nicolls, he'll vouch for me!),  because there was still beer left on Sunday night, as Alex pointed out, will try harder next year!!!!!

As to leading Brian R and Lightweight Paul astray, nobody forced you to drink Lemon and Ginger, and at the time it went down well, maybe a little more practise is called for(and keep away from those sheep), before the next time we meet!!!!!

Thanks to everyone comments over the weekend, much appreciated.

Here's to next year, when i'll be there behind a friends British layout, or next to the bar!!!!!!

Ray

P.S think I need a drink to recover from the weekend!!!!

As to leading Brian R and Lightweight Paul astray, nobody forced you to drink Lemon and Ginger, and at the time it went down well, maybe a little more practise is called for(and keep away from those sheep), before the next time we meet!!!!!

Repeat after me  " I am a lightweight, I am a lightweight !"

Brian R

• RMweb Premium

On behalf of both Carminster & Chebstone teams both Stafford Railway Circles club members layouts.

We all had a cracking weekend and our thanks to to Alex, Paul, Mike and all the Mickleover Club for such a well organised and great exhibition.

Sorry we could not finish all the beer, but we will try better next year.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your kind comments from our visitors and exhibitors. I think the beer was more popular than our Limited Edition Loco . . . . . . ! !

Glad everyone got home OK - I had to leave at lunch time as Mum's in Lincoln hospital - it seemed very strange walking out of the show before it closed and not being involved in any of the clearing away. I think I have been involved in 35 of our 37 shows and have always been one of the last to leave . . . . . .

Looking forward to next year - will we have another Bachmann announcement to make . . . . ? ?

Mike

EDIT

Just realise the time - as it's after 9.00am . . . . . . .  THE LIMITED EDITION LOCO 37114 CAN BE ORDERED HERE

http://www.mmrg.org.uk/loco/form/

Did both days this time (first time I have done sunday-much better) and saw all the show for the first time since the Assembly Rooms days. It was good to see fellow RMWebbers Andyram and Andrew P and a few other people I know. A good weekend.

Did both days this time (first time I have done sunday-much better) and saw all the show for the first time since the Assembly Rooms days. It was good to see fellow RMWebbers Andyram and Andrew P and a few other people I know. A good weekend.

Good to see you too Lawrence, but I didn't see Andyram on the Saturday.

Good to see you too Lawrence, but I didn't see Andyram on the Saturday.

I saw you. In fact you walked straight past me, but I was in deep conversation with my Dad about the five collection of Western diesels on the roundhouse layout at the time.

I saw you. In fact you walked straight past me, but I was in deep conversation with my Dad about the five collection of Western diesels on the roundhouse layout at the time.

WHOOPS :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

You know, I think I was stood next you Andrew at one point too, I was stood over at Rosamund Street when a group of gents approached to say their goodbyes.  You weren't holding a cup at the time so it was difficult to be sure it was you.

I've put together a few clips of layouts at the show which can be found on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqd4vQRtF0

Sorry if your layout wasn't featured.  There was so many to choose from and I simply haven't got the time to do more currently.

Also, apologies for the camera work.  I am the very definition of an amateur (I blame the camera).

(Feel free to subscribe to the club YouTube channel, though!)

Ta muchly.

--CC--

Archived