(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

This morning I've sorted out the Point Rodding and got rid of that great lump in the middle of the Points.

Now again although not perfect or prototypical it's far better than it was and once cleaned up and weathered will look just fine.

post-9335-0-43531800-1490354156_thumb.jpg

I also took the opportunity for a little running.

post-9335-0-24620400-1490354202_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-72318400-1490354217_thumb.jpg

This morning I've sorted out the Point Rodding and got rid of that great lump in the middle of the Points.

Now again although not perfect or prototypical it's far better than it was and once cleaned up and weathered will look just fine.

attachicon.gifPoint Rodding 2 sorted 001.JPG

I also took the opportunity for a little running.

attachicon.gifPoint Rodding 2 sorted 003.JPG

attachicon.gifPoint Rodding 2 sorted 004.JPG

Cracked it, metaphorically speaking of course.

Plus looking at the lengths involved a compensator/s would not be required as the pair of cranks taking the rods under the track would do the same job.

Like the 13xx I have a feeling my steam fleet is about to grow by 25%!!! what make is it?

Plus looking at the lengths involved a compensator/s would not be required as the pair of cranks taking the rods under the track would do the same job.

Like the 13xx I have a feeling my steam fleet is about to grow by 25%!!! what make is it?

Just been on line and is it the DJModels one for Kernow Models?

Just been on line and is it the DJModels one for Kernow Models?

No Kevin, the 1361 Saddle Tank is a Heljan, and it's so smooth and sweet I've ordered the Pannier version, the 1366 as well now.

The 14XX / 48XX is a DJ Models / Hatton release.

No Kevin, the 1361 Saddle Tank is a Heljan, and it's so smooth and sweet I've ordered the Pannier version, the 1366 as well now.

The 14XX / 48XX is a DJ Models / Hatton release.

Thanks

I have the 14xx for Hatton's, arrived a couple of weeks ago.

The Kernow website does show one by DJM but I'll look on the Heljan site as well.

Crickey Kevin, I've now amassed some 12 dedicated Locos for Trewithen now, from GWR / SR to early and late crest BR, far to many, but plenty of variety to enjoy. 

The Point Rodding is now weathered and looking very good indeed, I'm well pleased I made the effort now, and once Ballasted will look even better, (I hope)

I've also painted some more Track this evening and that's coming along nicely now as well.

I've also changed over a couple of switches on the panel, basically replacing the two on/off switches with one two way switch for the Bay or Main Platform, as I will only need one or the other, and then adding the Departure siding to the other on/off switch so I can still isolate any one of two Locos in the 3 locations in Station area.

A busy weekend ahead but little bits will be done.

Thanks Nige and Kevin, Kevin, the only other one that I'm working on at the moment is Kingsford, but I won't be doing much on that until I've progressed some more on Trewithen. at least with Kingsford I can have good running sessions even though it's not ballasted and the Points are still hand operated for now.

Back to Trewithen, and I just have the Goods Sidings to paint the Rails on now, and then the two Tracks from Chapel Junction to the two Fiddle Yards, so once that's done I can move on to the Ballasting.

Other things planned are the installation of yellow defused lighting inside the Station Building and the Signal Box plus fit the working Platform Lamps etc.

The Ratio Junction Signal Kit has arrived this week, so I need to make that up, and then motorise it as well.

Progress is a lot slower than I'm used to on a Layout, I'm taking my time with ''T'' as I want as much detail in it as I can, along with looking more realistic than previous efforts. I've been inspired by the Rural Scenic's on Kevins Little Muddle, and I want to get that sort of feel, along with an open spaciousness but with small details along the Line.

Operation is paramount to a good Layout, and therefore, once again, I will be using the Card System inspired by John Flann on Hintock and Port Bredy. I now have a nice collection of SR / GWR Stock and many need converting to Kadee for ease of use, The Loco Fleet, as alluded to in an earlier Post has increased somewhat, but then like the Wagons, they will have a Card each and shuffled not only for variety but also direction, i.e. Chimney or Bunker First.

Loads to do, but hopefully many years to enjoy it and seeing it finished.

Looking good, Andy, Making good progress ! 

Little tip I found useful regarding lighting when using LEDs - Most LEDs will put a spot of light on the floor directly below the LED (if mounted on the ceiling) -  I was advised to to attack the 'Globe' of the LED with a very fine file and take the shine off it to the point where the globe becomes opaque and flatten the domed top so that the shape of the LED is cylindrical - this diffuses the light and gives a room filling glow rather than a bright spot on the floor -

Standard on left, modified on right

post-30166-0-84054700-1490454405_thumb.jpg

Difference in pattern - Modified on Left

post-30166-0-29677100-1490454441_thumb.jpg

Glow from Modified

post-30166-0-08770300-1490454472_thumb.jpg

Glow from standard

post-30166-0-28850700-1490454488_thumb.jpg

These were standard 5v Warm White LEDs running of a 12v DC transformer with a 1/4w resistor.

The Ratio Junction Signal Kit has arrived this week, so I need to make that up, and then motorise it as well.

Good progress Andy, keep it up.  I would be interested to know how you intend to motorise the Ratio signal.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Great to see progress Andy. I have heard reference to the card system in the past and would be interested to hear more about it.

Andy's West Shed was a small layout, approx 4' x 1' with a small fiddle 'yard'.  This was run by a card system and the average time it took to go through a sequence was of the order of 1 hour.  It was just not possible to get bored in operating such a small end to end layout - not least because it required brainwork and not just acceleration and deceleration.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Nige and Kevin, Kevin, the only other one that I'm working on at the moment is Kingsford, but I won't be doing much on that until I've progressed some more on Trewithen. at least with Kingsford I can have good running sessions even though it's not ballasted and the Points are still hand operated for now.

Back to Trewithen, and I just have the Goods Sidings to paint the Rails on now, and then the two Tracks from Chapel Junction to the two Fiddle Yards, so once that's done I can move on to the Ballasting.

Other things planned are the installation of yellow defused lighting inside the Station Building and the Signal Box plus fit the working Platform Lamps etc.

Progress is a lot slower than I'm used to on a Layout, I'm taking my time with ''T'' as I want as much detail in it as I can, along with looking more realistic than previous efforts. I've been inspired by the Rural Scenic's on Kevins Little Muddle, and I want to get that sort of feel, along with an open spaciousness but with small details along the Line.

Operation is paramount to a good Layout, and therefore, once again, I will be using the Card System inspired by John Flann on Hintock and Port Bredy. I now have a nice collection of SR / GWR Stock and many need converting to Kadee for ease of use, The Loco Fleet, as alluded to in an earlier Post has increased somewhat, but then like the Wagons, they will have a Card each and shuffled not only for variety but also direction, i.e. Chimney or Bunker First.

Loads to do, but hopefully many years to enjoy it and seeing it finished.

hi Andy

You and many others mate Little Muddle is a really amazing layout absolutely stunning .............what is it you say WAAAAAASSSSSSSER a real inspiration indeed making me think very carefully about the scenery on Chumley End ....got to do my very best and pull out all the stops now .......... this is one of the great things about this hobby getting inspiration from follow afflicted fellows like your good self  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I'm interested in the Ratio Junction signal debate. I'd suggest that one thinks long and hard before considering motorisation a done deal. I found motorising a simple Ratio signal a non starter with servos because they were too powerful for the plastic material.

However to be fair, I may be too ham-fisted and that was why I struggled.

Looking good, Andy, Making good progress ! 

Little tip I found useful regarding lighting when using LEDs - Most LEDs will put a spot of light on the floor directly below the LED (if mounted on the ceiling) -  I was advised to to attack the 'Globe' of the LED with a very fine file and take the shine off it to the point where the globe becomes opaque and flatten the domed top so that the shape of the LED is cylindrical - this diffuses the light and gives a room filling glow rather than a bright spot on the floor -

Standard on left, modified on right

attachicon.gifIMG_0965.JPG

Difference in pattern - Modified on Left

attachicon.gifIMG_0967.JPG

Glow from Modified

attachicon.gifIMG_0970.JPG

Glow from standard

attachicon.gifIMG_0971.JPG

These were standard 5v Warm White LEDs running of a 12v DC transformer with a 1/4w resistor.

Thanks for that Andi, I'm using Yellow Bulbs and will have a defuser under them, so no spot lamp effect I hope. They will only be on now and again for photography, I used the same ones on Loch Leven / Fiddlers Yard and they were on all day at Shows with no ill effects.

Andy's West Shed was a small layout, approx 4' x 1' with a small fiddle 'yard'.  This was run by a card system and the average time it took to go through a sequence was of the order of 1 hour.  It was just not possible to get bored in operating such a small end to end layout - not least because it required brainwork and not just acceleration and deceleration.

Cheers, Peter 

Yes indeed Peter, and that was just Locos, no Wagons were harmed in any shunting moves.

hi Andy

You and many others mate Little Muddle is a really amazing layout absolutely stunning .............what is it you say WAAAAAASSSSSSSER a real inspiration indeed making me think very carefully about the scenery on Chumley End ....got to do my very best and pull out all the stops now .......... this is one of the great things about this hobby getting inspiration from follow afflicted fellows like your good self  :jester:

I was inspired to do Trewithen after seeing Faringdon at the Nottingham Show in 2016, but I'm now even more inspired to get things right after seeing pics from Little Muddle.

I'm interested in the Ratio Junction signal debate. I'd suggest that one thinks long and hard before considering motorisation a done deal. I found motorising a simple Ratio signal a non starter with servos because they were too powerful for the plastic material.

However to be fair, I may be too ham-fisted and that was why I struggled.

Thanks Ray, I did a similar thing many years ago and the wire between the Motor and the Signal had a large sideways ''V'' in it like so ''>'' so that that there was no harsh up or down inflicted on the Signal Arm.

Archived