(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

Cheers Guys, I don't remember any of that,but then I don't watch TV or go to the Movies.

O.K. so it ALL went to the Resource Recovery Centre, all £150 of Track and some £30 of Ply and many man Hours of Labour.  :O  :scared:  :triniti:  :paint:  :scared:

I then spent the next two weeks trying to decide what, if anything I wanted from the Hobby. :scared:

I'm starting a NEW Project / MODIFYING AN EXISTING PROJECT that is not suitable for R M Web, as to many people will keep telling me I'm doing it wrong or not prototypical, but all will be revealed very soon. :sungum:

Theres always a silver lining, it wasn't as many man hours as it would have been for the rest of us.

All the best with the new (old) project, I'm intrigued, but you've been quiet so I thought something was coming.

TONY

• RMweb Premium

Andy, you seem to be stuck in an ever decreasing circle of: get excited about new project, start building new project, get loads of others posting, loose interest in new project, trash new project having decided it wasn't for you, start cycle again. All this ripping up and trashing must be costing you a fortune and your other half must be very understanding! I'd be on big trouble if i followed your example ;-p

Following all the recent abortive projects it strikes me that you're​ not really sure what it is you want to build (type, scale, period, location). I'm also wondering if all the publicity you get from the threads (and the pressure and expectation of your 'fame') is actually hindering and making you more unsure what it is you want. I must admit I've backed right off on the posting front​.

Perhaps a small, simple, cameo type layout would help, apparently there's a competition on at the moment...

Andy, you seem to be stuck in an ever decreasing circle of: get excited about new project, start building new project, get loads of others posting, loose interest in new project, trash new project having decided it wasn't for you, start cycle again. All this ripping up and trashing must be costing you a fortune and your other half must be very understanding! I'd be on big trouble if i followed your example ;-p

Following all the recent abortive projects it strikes me that you're​ not really sure what it is you want to build (type, scale, period, location). I'm also wondering if all the publicity you get from the threads (and the pressure and expectation of your 'fame') is actually hindering and making you more unsure what it is you want. I must admit I've backed right off on the posting front​.

Perhaps a small, simple, cameo type layout would help, apparently there's a competition on at the moment...

Hmm, Interesting post Chris. :O

Firstly let me say that no one  is forced to look at my Threads.

And secondly, if there are to many aborted Threads, I'm sure Andy Y would have had a word in my ear by now.

As for different directions, yes I have recently, I changed Pen Jct from a roundy to Pencarne, a BLT, and that worked. I then regretted selling it so rather that re create it I went in a couple of different directions. Trewithen was a disaster from the go, and I don't know why.

Having had a couple of very successful O Gauge Layouts in the past, St Budoc, and the re built Trebudoc, I took advantage of the Dapol 08's, but unfortunately it was a wrong direction for me at this time.

As for Publicity and Fame, I take that as an insult, I DO NOT SEEK EITHER.

I enjoy posting on my threads and I enjoy all the banter and camaraderie and useful help and information that R M Web brings, and meeting fellow members at Shows is always a pleasure. I have made many new friends thanks to R M Web, many have been around to the Old Potting Shed, and will continue to do so I hope.

You may also notice that I've stopped posting any updates, or starting any new Threads, the reason being I intend to finish my current project to the running and testing point before I show it.

Lastly, I don't Drink, I don't Smoke, and so I don't pee my Pension down the drain on a Saturday Night, so if I decide to BLOW my hard earned Pension on failed whims then I will, My money is my money, and nothing to do with my better half, or the Household money. I get my pleasure from building, (and often FAILING) projects. 

So watch out for a New Thread coming this way soon, ahhahha :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: noooooooo :scared:  :triniti:  :jester:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 6

Well said Andy.

Totally agree  with why you felt the need to comment in such manner.

Whenever what you are doing is done-and you are satisfied with it-will be soon enough to see what you have come up with.

All good wishes,

• Like 1

And secondly, if there are to many aborted Threads, I'm sure Andy Y would have had a word in my ear by now.

As for different directions, yes I have recently, I changed Pen Jct from a roundy to Pencarne, a BLT, and that worked. I then regretted selling it so rather that re create it I went in a couple of different directions. Trewithen was a disaster from the go, and I don't know why.

Having had a couple of very successful O Gauge Layouts in the past, St Budoc, and the re built Trebudoc, I took advantage of the Dapol 08's, but unfortunately it was a wrong direction for me at this time.

I enjoy posting on my threads and I enjoy all the banter and camaraderie and useful help and information that R M Web brings, and meeting fellow members at Shows is always a pleasure. I have made many new friends thanks to R M Web, many have been around to the Old Potting Shed, and will continue to do so I hope.

You may also notice that I've stopped posting any updates, or starting any new Threads, the reason being I intend to finish my current project to the running and testing point before I show it.

Lastly, I don't Drink, I don't Smoke, and so I don't pee my Pension down the drain on a Saturday Night, so if I decide to BLOW my hard earned Pension on failed whims then I will, My money is my money, and nothing to do with my better half, or the Household money. I get my pleasure from building, (and often FAILING) projects. 

So watch out for a New Thread coming this way soon, ahhahha :no:  :no:  :no:  :no: noooooooo :scared:  :triniti:  :jester:

Well said Andy.  I really don't understand why some people have to be so critical of your inspiration threads. Jealousy maybe?

Best Regards,

Brian.

But just an EDIT to say that Pencarne is in the next Railway Modeller, ahhahah :sungum:

• Like 7

Andy, if its any consolation i think my bullhead rail is also bound for the skip and I'll be going back to normal code 75. Even though i put it down very carefully its now like a roller coaster and cant work out why!

Best wishes

Nige

Andy, if its any consolation i think my bullhead rail is also bound for the skip and I'll be going back to normal code 75. Even though i put it down very carefully its now like a roller coaster and cant work out why!

Best wishes

Nige

I have also used SMP OO flexi track with code 75 Peco and, although the SMP track has the "right" sleeper spacing it also seems much flimsier than the Peco product.  How does the Peco bull head track compare with standard code 75?  Is it less robust than the earlier Peco product?

Regards,

Brian.

Edited by Brian D

Hi, it is very similar to the SMP which I've used before without any drama, but not as robust and forgiving as the normal peco code 75 'finescale'. I took great care to lay it flat (ironically replacing some code 75 which had rested there for some time) on a well prepared surface but now has dips and rolls in it after intially being flat. I know its not the board as it is good hard wood which the code 75 sat on quite happily as flat and smooth as a snooker table!

It's a bit of a mystery and really ticking me off as the bullhead does look so much better!

Best wishes

Nige

Edited by Bustered

Yes, I totally agree with you Andy. What you decide to model is entirely your choice and no one should try and take over how or when that choice is made. I couldn't decide for many years where to set my layout (although it had to be BR Western Region, as I've got a super Bachmann pannier) but appear to have finally made up my mind. Hopefully. . .

Chris, RMweb is not a place to seek fame, it is a place for modellers to share their projects and ideas with one another. If you want fame head over to a website whose name rhymes with 'Two Cube.'

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When Trewithin had its wobbly fit, I had a very upset mate on the other end of the phone. Nothing to do with this forum or anyone on it but a layout that had gone wrong. I think it is a brave person who says when things are not going right, "That is it, finished." and goes off and starts a new layout. Look at the good layouts Andy has completed, exhibited and had published, far more than me.

I would like to thank Andy for the way he encourages other modellers and the enthusiasm he has for the hobby and those who take part in it.  

• Like 2

When Trewithin had its wobbly fit, I had a very upset mate on the other end of the phone. Nothing to do with this forum or anyone on it but a layout that had gone wrong. I think it is a brave person who says when things are not going right, "That is it, finished." and goes off and starts a new layout. Look at the good layouts Andy has completed, exhibited and had published, far more than me.

I would like to thank Andy for the way he encourages other modellers and the enthusiasm he has for the hobby and those who take part in it.

It's one of the worst things to have to rip up a layout you have put your heart into- I'm on try 8 I think, but it's only like 4 to my wife :)

Andy's threads are inspirational.

I think this railway modelling is like evolving. Every step gets better but there may be a few hitches on the way.

It's one of the hardest things to do and I was going code 75 but now will be staying code 100 based on Andy's thread.

I'm looking forward to further developments!!!

Bring on the next plan :)

• Like 4

As time marches on, enthusiasm sometimes marches off. I am still enthusiastic about my trains; can't seem to stop buying them but I've had my layout running nigh on these last twenty years or so. It was designed that way with things I wanted in a layout, in other words one built to last. It has all the features which keep it going, two main lines, two reverse loops, a goods yard, engine facilities and a turntable. Enough sidings for interest and various accessories. As it is tinplate, there is not the critical need for orthodoxy or rivet counting. Scenery is sparse and basic; most bushes and trees from the garden but it has endured all this while without the need for change. In any case, the prospect of crawling around wiring up a layout doesn't do much for me twenty years on!

Brian.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've started a couple (ahem :O ) threads which have died in the water with one successful one which will hopefully be carried on with in the future, but I must admit I'm a bit reluctant to start anymore even though I've had a few ideas mostly incase of 'here we go again' that might surround it. Andy you've been a great help over the months with advice etc so keep up the great work.

Cheers

As someone who has started a couple of failed threads over the years (Skaleby North Road being one) I sympathise with Andy. Several years ago I started my first layout, Skaleby, and this was one that I was truely inspired by. It had a decent "back story" and with its goods shed, loco shed and a station that fitted three coach trains, it ticked all the boxes for me. I ran it every day with a loco coming off shed, working passenger trains and local goods before the engine returned to the shed. The layout was never finished, and it never had its own thread on here. Unfortunately it would not fit in our new house and has been confined to the garage. It has suffered from several house moves and is inaccessible due to the stored junk in there so I cannot carry out the repairs. I would love to return to it at some stage.

Since I started Skaleby, I completed Skaleby West for exhibition purposes. I enjoy running this layout at the exhibitions, however I enjoy it less at home. I think this is because it does not have all the features that Skaleby has, and does not lend itself to similar operation. I have started several other layouts for home purposes and several have stalled because they do not seem right. My current project, Skaleby Quay, is still not past the experimentation stage because I have not got the track plan "just right". Admittedly I am struggling for time at the moment due to work problems, but my modelling mojo is at a low right now. As a result I know how Andy feels. When projects don't feel right it is best to stop and make a change. Andy gets further than most of us because, as he states, he spends much of his retirement time and money on them.

Andy - your projects are always an inspiration. I hope you find the right one for you - the replacement for Pencarne that you are searching for. I look forward to reading about your latest project t when you choose to share it with you. Keep up the good work and don't let the b*****ds grind you down.

Oh - and looks like I will HAVE to buy Railway Modellor next month!!

• Like 4

Hi Andy, all i have to say is go for it. Before i have said that your way of trying out a plan changing or starting again suits you very well and gives me ideas when i get my layout loft. Yes I have one station planned and want to build but will it satisfy me. i just do not know. So i will eventually lay track and try it out before fully commiting to it. Also i would like to try several different types of layout your approach is worth considering. As they say Rule no.1 applies. Looking forward to the next layout. To those who do not like your way there are lots and lots of other layouts to follow so please browse at your leisure.

Keith HC, who wants to model Rowfant, Gatwick North, Worthing North, Cardigan Town, somewhere Scottish............

I can dream.......

• Like 3

Guest Digital

But just an EDIT to say that Pencarne is in the next Railway Modeller, ahhahah :sungum:

Looking forward to seeing Pencarn in Railway Modeller.

Regards

John

• 4 weeks later...

Andy

I've been away from RMWeb for over a month due to work and having lost my 'mojo' so missed recent developments. A shame to see this one go as it looked to have great potential, but if something doesn't feel right then there's no point continuing.

Just got the latest Railway Modeller today and what a surprise- nice to see Pencarne again!

Steve

Well said Andy.  I really don't understand why some people have to be so critical of your inspiration threads. Jealousy maybe?

Best Regards,

Brian.

Crikey!

I looked on cos a lot of andy ps ' stuff is ok to have a look at and read.... but I dont think that comment is in any way related to reality! 

Chris 2ManySpams does a very different sort of modelling - as we all do for ourselves

Crikey!

I looked on cos a lot of andy ps ' stuff is ok to have a look at and read.... but I dont think that comment is in any way related to reality! 

Chris 2ManySpams does a very different sort of modelling - as we all do for ourselves

And that was the point of my reply to Chris, I speak to Chris at Shows, and I respect his modelling greatly, and still look in at Pencarrow now and again, and I would have replied very differently had his post been sent as a PM instead of what looked like criticism against me and how I spend my money.

I haven't seen Chris since his post, but I'm sure we will say hello and chat next time we do see each other at sometime.

No one has fallen out over this so it's best left to sleep.

Thanks for looking in.

Andy.

Edited by Andrew P

Andy

I've been away from RMWeb for over a month due to work and having lost my 'mojo' so missed recent developments. A shame to see this one go as it looked to have great potential, but if something doesn't feel right then there's no point continuing.

Just got the latest Railway Modeller today and what a surprise- nice to see Pencarne again!

Steve

Thanks Steve, the last sentence has been CUT OFF short, and Steve will post the correct ending next Month.

• Andrew P changed the title to (ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.