(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

Looking good Andy really starting to get some atmosphere there now .... :locomotive:

Thanks Martin, I did have another little run earlier, mainly to test the Kadee Magnets and ensure the Points were all o.k. after the Ballasting.

post-9335-0-48056400-1491166379_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-77066000-1491166402_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-18074000-1491166421_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-62001100-1491166443_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-25820700-1491166513_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Good God Andy, you haven't half moved on with this.............................................. :paint:

Page 18 already, track down, ballasted................................ :O

Looking excellent too if I may say, you certainly have an eye for a nice branch terminus, and I think this one is going to be better than Pencarne!!!

Jinty ;)

Thanks Kevin, I just want green muted colours and some nice Trees along the back.

Ever thought of some trees, buildings at the front so the train disappears and then reappears, can be very effective?

Good God Andy, you haven't half moved on with this.............................................. :paint:

Page 18 already, track down, ballasted................................ :O

Looking excellent too if I may say, you certainly have an eye for a nice branch terminus, and I think this one is going to be better than Pencarne!!!

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jints, the aim is to better Pencarne, but only outsiders can really be the judge of that once some scenics are in place, I really hope it turns out better, but in a more Rural way, as opposed to the many Buildings I had on Pen.

Thanks for looking in mate, I'm booked in at Bala again in November so hope to see you, Craig / Muddys Blues and Martin / Gismorail then.

• Like 2

Ever thought of some trees, buildings at the front so the train disappears and then reappears, can be very effective?

Morning Kevin, your right about Trees as a view blocker, there will be some along the River Bank I hope.

• Like 1

Coming on there mate, may I ask whether you will be sitting the station build down into the platform surface ?

I think it would look slightly better without the dark line around the base. Hope you don't mind me asking.

A 45xx rarely offends ;)

Cheers

Grahame

Thanks Martin, I did have another little run earlier, mainly to test the Kadee Magnets and ensure the Points were all o.k. after the Ballasting.

attachicon.gifTrial Run 1 001.JPG

attachicon.gifTrial Run 1 006.JPG

attachicon.gifTrial Run 1 007.JPG

attachicon.gifTrial Run 1 009.JPG

attachicon.gifTrial Run 1 008.JPG

Andy P -what type of Kadee magnets do you use? The ramp type or below track magnets?

Amazing progress with yet another layout- I dont know where you find the time

regards Andy R

Coming on there mate, may I ask whether you will be sitting the station build down into the platform surface ?

I think it would look slightly better without the dark line around the base. Hope you don't mind me asking.

A 45xx rarely offends ;)

Cheers

Grahame

Hi Grahame, Yes it will be set in once I've installed the lighting and also painted the inside of the Building, I need to set it in otherwise I will get a light bleed around the bottom as well.

Andy P -what type of Kadee magnets do you use? The ramp type or below track magnets?

Amazing progress with yet another layout- I dont know where you find the time

regards Andy R

Hi Andy, there little Neo Magnets under each side of the Track, TBH they didn't work as well as the ones on Pencarne, (different supplier from China) so I've added extra small round magnets for extra pull.

post-9335-0-41110500-1491251533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy, there little Neo Magnets under each side of the Track, TBH they didn't work as well as the ones on Pencarne, (different supplier from China) so I've added extra small round magnets for extra pull.

attachicon.gifMagnets 001.JPG

That was quick!!!!

Thanks for that idea- I have seen articles in MOdel Railroader on a similar approach. I guess just a case of finding the right size magnet?

Do you have any advice on the magnet specs please Andy ?

regards Andy R

That was quick!!!!

Thanks for that idea- I have seen articles in MOdel Railroader on a similar approach. I guess just a case of finding the right size magnet?

Do you have any advice on the magnet specs please Andy ?

regards Andy R

These are the ones you see on Trewithen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152076855191?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• RMweb Premium

I have the same picture (as do a lot of people I gather).

I have a model of the engine, the carriages, the bus, the car and a similar station (even some of the ads on the fence) and yet every time I look at the picture I keep asking myself "why doesn't my layout look like this?"

• Like 1

Far out... I go away for 3 months (overseas holiday and then working on my new layout), and not only have you started one, but two layouts, and you already have track and ballast down!

Looks like this one will be absolutely marvelous, consider it followed!

All the best,

Peter

• Like 1

Far out... I go away for 3 months (overseas holiday and then working on my new layout), and not only have you started one, but two layouts, and you already have track and ballast down!

Looks like this one will be absolutely marvelous, consider it followed!

All the best,

Peter

Thanks you Peter, such kind words are not deserved I will explain all.

I thought it was about time I brought you all up to date with Trewithen.

About a week or so ago after Ballasting the Track, things seemed O.K., but I had a few areas where the Ballast had swelled up above the Sleepers, this has never been an issue normally, as I would just chip it away, but as I used Ballast Bond, even when re wetting it would remove far more than I wanted, as it appears to be like a Latex.

In clearing away the area under the point, I broke the Point, no body's fault but mine, the wet ballast peeling away also broke some of the Point rodding, by this time I was loosing the plot big time. Oh and I'd already BROKEN the Bridge over the River. the re wetted Ballast had also got under a couple of Sleepers and so now I also had the makings of the Darjeeling Railway.

The simple answer was to lift all the Track, and re lay it completely, at the moment I'm not in the right frame of mind to contemplate this task, so the Boards have been put to one side for a rainy day.

I'm now concentrating on Kingsley Dale and preparing Stock ready for our Clubs open weekend next Sunday / Monday.

post-9335-0-63371000-1491734318_thumb.png

• Like 1

I thought it was about time I brought you all up to date with Trewithen.

About a week or so ago after Ballasting the Track, things seemed O.K., but I had a few areas where the Ballast had swelled up above the Sleepers, this has never been an issue normally, as I would just chip it away, but as I used Ballast Bond, even when re wetting it would remove far more than I wanted, as it appears to be like a Latex.

In clearing away the area under the point, I broke the Point, no body's fault but mine, the wet ballast peeling away also broke some of the Point rodding, by this time I was loosing the plot big time. Oh and I'd already BROKEN the Bridge over the River. the re wetted Ballast had also got under a couple of Sleepers and so now I also had the makings of the Darjeeling Railway.

The simple answer was to lift all the Track, and re lay it completely, at the moment I'm not in the right frame of mind to contemplate this task, so the Boards have been put to one side for a rainy day.

I'm now concentrating on Kingsley Dale and preparing Stock ready for our Clubs open weekend next Sunday / Monday.

Advert.png

Oh dear... I had that a few years ago using almost neat pva it's never fun... understandably frustrating hope you get it sorted soon :)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear you've had a modelling reverse, Andy. Given your familiarity with the tasks in hand, this does at least show that it can happen to anyone. I hope replacement happens easily and successfully.

Andy, you are not alone judging from the above, but (as you know) I lifted and replaced all the code 75 track I originally laid for Port Bredy.

Fortunately it came up easily enough as I had used diluted white glue to secure the ballast.

I felt a lot happier and the new code 100 went down as I wanted,. Painted and ballasted it looks good-with excellent running.

A pain to contemplate but well worth doing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of something Hommer Simpson said to young Bart "Son, when things don't go right first time just give up". :sungum: :no: :sungum: :no:

Only joking, Andy and I had a good chat the other night and from what Andy told me he has done the right thing. :good:

• Like 1