(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

Thanks Martin, my Mojo is in overdrive at the moment, all the Points are now wired and I hope to connect them to the Switches in the Lever Frame later whilst the Good Lady watches her Soaps.

Playing with new ideas for the F/Y end now.

Well that didn't happen, I just sat down and did some planning as seen above.

The first picture of the cottage by the lines is very reminiscent of Helland Crossing on the Wenford branch, Andy. All you need is the road by the house.  You see a lot of houses right next to the tracks in old pictures and often wondered what it must have been like to live in them.  Can't do that these days.

Brian.

The first picture of the cottage by the lines is very reminiscent of Helland Crossing on the Wenford branch, Andy. All you need is the road by the house.  You see a lot of houses right next to the tracks in old pictures and often wondered what it must have been like to live in them.  Can't do that these days.

Brian.

I did try this Brian, but I feel it overcrowds it to much.

post-9335-0-11655400-1489445250_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

attachicon.gifTrack Plan First look 007 - Copy - Copy (2) - Copy.JPG

Really like that one Andy perhaps a bit more angle on the road with the level crossing which will reduce the cottage in the back ground thus give a more distance feel. Maybe lose the road on the left hand side of the tunnel but the cottage and level crossing gives so much more depth of field 

• Like 1

Really like that one Andy perhaps a bit more angle on the road with the level crossing which will reduce the cottage in the back ground thus give a more distance feel. Maybe lose the road on the left hand side of the tunnel but the cottage and level crossing gives so much more depth of field 

Thanks Martin, Once I've finished under the Boards I'll have a look at both options.

lend me some, mate.

Mine's vanished again.

Sorry to hear that Dr G-F, Try a new project, or go to a Show if you can, I always find that normally helps.

I hope you find it again soon mate.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I can't remember how many coaches you said would be the maximum for the run-round loop, but since like me you're into blue diesels, why not make sure the shunt release is long enough for WR/SR diesel locos (or at least the shorter ones such 22/25/31/33) so you can have an alternative running session where you imagine main line diversions that come in off one branch, run-round in the station and go out on the other? I've been thinking of doing something like this to justify restaurant/buffet car trains, TPOs and sleepers and at a BLT.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike, excellent info as always.

I always enjoyed the Basingstoke Show when I lived down South.

I'm imaging the Junction is about half a mile or so away, and I like the idea of a second Box anyway, also I might put in a small Level Crossing before the Junction Point.

Not quite sure what a FPL looks like at the moment, but I guess there'll be a couple in the pack.  

The Loco Release Points may stay manual depending on how neat OR NOT I can do the Rodding alongside the Platform.

As I said, if I don't get it 100% then I won't worry to much, but it would be nice to have it right.

Thanks again Mike for your time in compiling the above Post.

There are indeed FPLs in the pack Andy but you don't really need them for the Western (unless you're ultra finicky) as they had the very useful habit of hiding them underneath a nice bit of hinged steel plate.  Now what I cannot do is give you the dimensions of said steel plate but in length it extended over 6 sleepers with ends slopping to the last two and was probably about 1 foot wide.  Such things were gradually removed during BR days from - probably - the mid 1970s onwards around which time they ceased to be installed on new work.

I can't remember how many coaches you said would be the maximum for the run-round loop, but since like me you're into blue diesels, why not make sure the shunt release is long enough for WR/SR diesel locos (or at least the shorter ones such 22/25/31/33) so you can have an alternative running session where you imagine main line diversions that come in off one branch, run-round in the station and go out on the other? I've been thinking of doing something like this to justify restaurant/buffet car trains, TPOs and sleepers and at a BLT.

Hi Andrew, Trewithen will be purely 1930's to mid 60's, all the Blue Diesels will be kept for Kingsford North Yard, and the run around loop will hold 3 Mk 1 coaches. 

I did that with Pencarne, and that held 5 x Mk 1's and a parcels Van, and I would run Cl 50's,

Warships and Westerns as well as the odd 33.

Good luck with your project BTW.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

There are indeed FPLs in the pack Andy but you don't really need them for the Western (unless you're ultra finicky) as they had the very useful habit of hiding them underneath a nice bit of hinged steel plate.  Now what I cannot do is give you the dimensions of said steel plate but in length it extended over 6 sleepers with ends slopping to the last two and was probably about 1 foot wide.  Such things were gradually removed during BR days from - probably - the mid 1970s onwards around which time they ceased to be installed on new work.

Thanks Mike, yet another thing LESS to worry about then, hahahh.

• RMweb Premium

According to David J Smith's book:

Overall length 13 ft 4 in

Hinged length 9 ft 0 in

Length of sloping part at each end 2 ft 2 in

Width of hinged plate 1 ft 0 in

Width over upright plates 1 ft 4 in

Width over fixing brackets 1 ft 10 in

There were three fixing brackets on each side, one at each end of the top plate and one in the centre. These brackets were fixed to alternate sleepers/timbers. The middle brackets were fixed to the timber nearest to the switch blades.

A little more done this morning.

MOTO, DO NOT cut the wires and Hot Glue them to the Baseboard UNTIL you have finished. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Moving 2 switches and the wires will ONLY JUST reach the new position. :no:  :no:

Hopefully Andy, you won't mind all these ideas for 'your' railway Andy, but if the smaller cottage on the hill were removed, it would be better.

Brian

Hopefully Andy, you won't mind all these ideas for 'your' railway Andy, but if the smaller cottage on the hill were removed, it would be better.

Brian

Thanks Brian, IF,  there is a Level Crossing it will be the Terminus side of the Junction Point. The reason being, I wouldn't be able hold an incoming train at the Signal as it would block the Crossing.

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind me commenting but following on from what I've been saying, think of what the scenery would be like before the railway came along.

I would suggest the road to the left is omitted and if the houses remain then turned around so you can model the back gardens which has the effect of pushing the level crossing even further from the point and off board so can be implied.

The nearest house I would make the largest as it would act as excellent view blocker.

Edited by KNP

Hope you don't mind me commenting but following on from what I've been saying, think of what the scenery would be like before the railway came along.

I would suggest the road to the left is omitted and if the houses remain then turned around so you can model the back gardens which has the effect of pushing the level crossing even further from the point and off board so can be implied.

The nearest house I would make the largest as it would act as excellent view blocker.

Hi Kevin, having see your wonderful example on Little Muddle I'll bear in mind your thoughts.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy

Both of those artist impressions look superb. I think it will be down to your own personal preference which you go for. I do think the level crossing adds a bit of interest but maybe with just the one cottage rather than two. The cottage could be the crossing keepers which would make it close to the railway. As I say though I think both pictures look good so its entirely up to you.

Cheers

Marcus

Hi Andy

Both of those artist impressions look superb. I think it will be down to your own personal preference which you go for. I do think the level crossing adds a bit of interest but maybe with just the one cottage rather than two. The cottage could be the crossing keepers which would make it close to the railway. As I say though I think both pictures look good so its entirely up to you.

Cheers

Marcusesting

Thanks Marcus, I have several ideas, but at the moment I just want get the wiring finished which I should do tomorrow / Friday and then build the fiddle yard and start testing. So whilst testing I can try the many different permutations.

The crossing, road and house (tunnel side) need to go.

The land to the right of the tunnel (where you have the road and house) needs to be higher, otherwise there would be no point in tunneling through that narrow higher ground in the first place, the road makes it look odd. :scratchhead:

edit:  your first picture with just the house looks right

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1

The crossing, road and house (tunnel side) need to go.

The land to the right of the tunnel (where you have the road and house) needs to be higher, otherwise there would be no point in tunneling through that narrow higher ground in the first place, the road makes it look odd. :scratchhead:

edit:  your first picture with just the house looks right

Your spot on Mick, that's why I said earlier that if I do put in a Level Crossing, and it's still a BIG IF it will be the Terminus side of the Junction. In my mind it's all starting to look to busy at that end, which is why I'll wait until I'm testing it and putting in various scenarios to see what works, I may well end up as a cutting with a Cottage on to a bit like Pencarne.

Andy

I would avoid the tunnel, it will look very toy like, and no railway engineer in their right mind would bore straight through a hill when they could avoid it and go round (as the right hand line does)

What I would suggest is to look for a prototype that has similarities to your proposal and copy what the real engineers did.  The best example I can think of is the exit from Bodmin General.  I can't find a prototype image, but this image from the Scalefour Society webpage should give you an idea of what I mean.

post-238-0-47492200-1489653075.jpg

A neat pair of Victorian bridges, beyond which the lines are separated by a grassy bank which acts as an effective and natural looking view block.

I also think you could usefully copy the entire throat of Bodmin, as your current plan with two lines into one track and then straight into the threeway seems a little unlikely also.

Anyway, I'm sure you've had enough of suggestions!  

>edit for rubbish typing<

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 4