(ABANDONED PROJECT) Trewithen.

Andrew P

Thats the only place I required a compensator, the long run from the signal box to the crossover at the other end of the platform.

There should be a couple in the basic Wills kit.

Thanks for the info Ray, I should be starting that next week.

Electrical gremlins drive me mad.  One day things are working perfectly, the next day not!  Why is that?  There's no sence to it sometimes.  Rant over.

Regards,

Brian.

ELECTRONICS = The route of all evil, hahhahah. :nono:

• Like 2

The only thing I'm loathed to fit at this stage is the Dapol Signals as I know I'm likely to snag one.

Wise move, Andy, I would be likely to do (and have done !) exactly the same.  Would be a good idea to fit the wiring and drill any holes for them while you're in the current flow (pun intended :jester: ) though, it just might come easier now than trying to sort it all out again later when you've got your scenery head on !

Coming together nicely, watching with interest !

Edited by andi4x4
  • Like 1

Wise move, Andy, I would be likely to do (and have done !) exactly the same.  Would be a good idea to fit the wiring and drill any holes for them while you're in the current flow (pun intended :jester: ) though, it just might come easier now than trying to sort it all out again later when you've got your scenery head on !

Coming together nicely, watching with interest !

Morning Andi, Thanks, yes all the wiring will be done and the holes drilled ready for the Signals to just drop in, one thing I have considered is to fit and wire them, but then un-screw them and lay them flat on the Tracks out of the way, but it's still a bit dodgy doing that I guess.

Can you not put a join in the signal wires? I'd install, test and then remove them to a box.

Yes I think your right, the wires are going into a Terminal Block anyway so no real hassle other than the fact that there under the Baseboard. It was just me thinking in a lazy mood, hahhah.

• RMweb Premium

. . . . . so I have 23 Cross Board Male / Female plug connectors to wire up. . . . . 

Have you thought of buying a 25 way "D" male/female serial cable - through wired, not crossover, cut that in half and connect the cut ends to your baseboards/control panels? It doesn't eliminate the soldering, just halves it and the half you have to do will probably have larger soldering areas than the pins in the plugs.

• Like 2

Have you thought of buying a 25 way "D" male/female serial cable - through wired, not crossover, cut that in half and connect the cut ends to your baseboards/control panels? It doesn't eliminate the soldering, just halves it and the half you have to do will probably have larger soldering areas than the pins in the plugs.

Hi Ray, Thanks for , I use the 12 way screw terminal male / female terminal blocks that I like, no soldering at all, and very happy with them.

I also have some 24 way Maplins male / female plugs, but the leads on them are so short so they would all need extending, so still more agro.

• Like 1

Can you not put a join in the signal wires? I'd install, test and then remove them to a box.

You could fit some of those servo plugs to the signals - https://goo.gl/images/lZt8MR - if you buy the male/female extension leads you could chop them in half, connect one side to the signal, other to wherever it needs to be, and they would then be quickly removable when needed.

You could fit some of those servo plugs to the signals - https://goo.gl/images/lZt8MR - if you buy the male/female extension leads you could chop them in half, connect one side to the signal, other to wherever it needs to be, and they would then be quickly removable when needed.

Nice idea Andi, but the Dapol Signals have a Nut that has to go over the wires once the Signal has been inserted into the Board.

post-9335-0-18254400-1489342059.jpg

I've now worked it out and have the fitting sorted.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is my interpretation of how I think it should go.

attachicon.gifPoint Rodding Plan.png

Right - back from yesterday's show outing (Basingstoke) and the funny antics of a GWR HST Driver who seemed a little lost and managed to delay my train in the process.

1. If you are going to use the bay for arriving passenger trains you need Facing Point Locks (FPLs) on the points leading to the dairy and warehouse and in any case (as long as you use the bay for departing passenger trains) you need trap points on both those sidings so you need rodding runs to them.  Being GWR land they would probably put in FPLs anyway even if the bay is only going to be used by departing passenger trains which have been shunted in.

2. The main platform release crossover is close enough to the signalbox to be worked by it - being the GWR they would inevitably forget to put an FPL on the points of the crossover in the platform line (honest).

3. The first point in the yard (leading into the run round loop might be hand worked and not connected to the signalbox - not really any hard and fast rule on that one.

4.  You need some more signals and might even be able to lose one -

a. The junction needs a splitting signal (as already noted, and if doing it properly, the station box needs a Home Signal for arriving trains - exact form depends on what will go where but it might be very simple or a bit more complicated - depends on what you want to happen.

b. You could lose the 'departure signal on the branch if you want to - no real need for it operationally but you might like to keep it because it would look good scenically, choice is yours and you'd be right whichever you do ;)

5.  Are the junction points really more than 350 yards (scale equivalent thereof of course) from the station signalbox because if they aren't you don't need a second signalbox.

6.  In a rodding run the amount of pull has to equal the amount of push otherwise you need a compensator to equalise the two opposite forces.  Thus the release crossover would definitely need at least one and with all the other rodding it depends on getting as close as you can (by arranging the cranks) to equalise the pull & push - probably ok over the short distances involved.

Hope that all helps a bit

Right - back from yesterday's show outing (Basingstoke) and the funny antics of a GWR HST Driver who seemed a little lost and managed to delay my train in the process.

1. If you are going to use the bay for arriving passenger trains you need Facing Point Locks (FPLs) on the points leading to the dairy and warehouse and in any case (as long as you use the bay for departing passenger trains) you need trap points on both those sidings so you need rodding runs to them.  Being GWR land they would probably put in FPLs anyway even if the bay is only going to be used by departing passenger trains which have been shunted in.

2. The main platform release crossover is close enough to the signalbox to be worked by it - being the GWR they would inevitably forget to put an FPL on the points of the crossover in the platform line (honest).

3. The first point in the yard (leading into the run round loop might be hand worked and not connected to the signalbox - not really any hard and fast rule on that one.

4.  You need some more signals and might even be able to lose one -

a. The junction needs a splitting signal (as already noted, and if doing it properly, the station box needs a Home Signal for arriving trains - exact form depends on what will go where but it might be very simple or a bit more complicated - depends on what you want to happen.

b. You could lose the 'departure signal on the branch if you want to - no real need for it operationally but you might like to keep it because it would look good scenically, choice is yours and you'd be right whichever you do ;)

5.  Are the junction points really more than 350 yards (scale equivalent thereof of course) from the station signalbox because if they aren't you don't need a second signalbox.

6.  In a rodding run the amount of pull has to equal the amount of push otherwise you need a compensator to equalise the two opposite forces.  Thus the release crossover would definitely need at least one and with all the other rodding it depends on getting as close as you can (by arranging the cranks) to equalise the pull & push - probably ok over the short distances involved.

Hope that all helps a bit

Thanks Mike, excellent info as always.

I always enjoyed the Basingstoke Show when I lived down South.

I'm imaging the Junction is about half a mile or so away, and I like the idea of a second Box anyway, also I might put in a small Level Crossing before the Junction Point.

Not quite sure what a FPL looks like at the moment, but I guess there'll be a couple in the pack.  

The Loco Release Points may stay manual depending on how neat OR NOT I can do the Rodding alongside the Platform.

As I said, if I don't get it 100% then I won't worry to much, but it would be nice to have it right.

Thanks again Mike for your time in compiling the above Post.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If you need removable signals these  mini connectors might be of use Andy. The nut will easily fit over the plugs. For four wires simply glue two pairs together, if you do it eccentrically then the wires wont get switched accidentally.

Like this...

post-8964-0-17039600-1489349560.png

regards Shaun

If you need removable signals these  mini connectors might be of use Andy. The nut will easily fit over the plugs. For four wires simply glue two pairs together, if you do it eccentrically then the wires wont get switched accidentally.

Like this...

attachicon.gifConnector for Dapol signals.png

regards Shaun

Hi Shaun, Cheers, I have seen them and they are very tiny indeed, I'll have a look for some at the Nottingham Show next weekend, (only half hours drive from here). they will do the trick I think, I'll take a Signal Nut with me to test one.

• Like 1

Nothing exciting to report today, although the wiring is continuing slowly, (very therapeutic NOT :O )

One little glimmer of joy was the order I placed yesterday for a Heljan GWR Saddle Tank 1361 Class, No 1364. I may get the later BR Version, 1366 Pannier as well later as it looks quite nice as well.

post-9335-0-54712300-1489405037.jpg

• Like 11

Nothing exciting to report today, although the wiring is continuing slowly, (very therapeutic NOT :O )

One little glimmer of joy was the order I placed yesterday for a Heljan GWR Saddle Tank 1361 Class, No 1364. I may get the later BR Version, 1366 Pannier as well later as it looks quite nice as well.

attachicon.gif14855200581364.JPG

Very nice additions buddy...

Yes indeed and in the Hornby Mag this Month there is a Reality Check, and in there is a Picture of a 1366 at Helland Crossing having replaced the Beatie Well Tanks on the China Clay workings to Wenford Bridge Clay Workings.

Yes indeed and in the Hornby Mag this Month there is a Reality Check, and in there is a Picture of a 1366 at Helland Crossing having replaced the Beatie Well Tanks on the China Clay workings to Wenford Bridge Clay Workings.

I bought that Issue to show SWMBO, she's lived nearby her whole life and it was only when I drove over it with her recently she realised it was previously a railway crossing.

• Like 4

Those saddle tanks are a lovely little loco . Remember seeing the preserved example at Dicot a few times. Lovely additions to the fleet.

Thanks Guys, I cant wait to start testing now.

All the Point Motors are now in and tested, although I still have to wire them through to the next board for the switches and I still have the Micro Switches to fit to 5 of them after I pick them up on Wednesday.

I have to say, it's all starting to look a little more organised underneath now and almost neat.

• Like 5

I bought that Issue to show SWMBO, she's lived nearby her whole life and it was only when I drove over it with her recently she realised it was previously a railway crossing.

Thanks for the post, I'd love to see it, I was going to do a bit of a copy of it on my Trewnn Layout that came to a halt.

post-9335-0-56314000-1489415721_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14363600-1489415757_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 7

No problem

Very much enjoying your work! It's looking fantastic! I very much enjoy any Cornish layouts I see especially ones set near areas where I often visit, real or not

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 1

This image has given me an idea for the GW Line, instead of a Road Bridge which is a bit of a cliche' and it would also add something different at that end.

attachicon.gifpost-9335-0-14363600-1489415757_thumb.jpg

Now then you see you lot ' The Wizard of Swad ' is already cooking up spells and trickery

Just love it when you mind kicks in the mojo Andy mate 

Now then you see you lot ' The Wizard of Swad ' is already cooking up spells and trickery

Just love it when you mind kicks in the mojo Andy mate 

Thanks Martin, my Mojo is in overdrive at the moment, all the Points are now wired and I hope to connect them to the Switches in the Lever Frame later whilst the Good Lady watches her Soaps.

Playing with new ideas for the F/Y end now.

• Like 2