RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

Yes, Mogo.. The pannier one is fine. Now I just need to figure out how you weathered it that well!

Thanks for the video of my chat with Andy Y.

Once my granddaughter has been collected (child minding today) I'll take some pictures of these non-scenery items!!!!!

The weathering is a mixture of weak washes (normally Lifecolor roof dirt and dirty black) then over brushed with a lot of dry brush work using Vallejo colours.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.. I don't have your eye for it, but I hope to start getting close with this kind of thing. Really lifts the whole layout, some of my stock make it look very 'train set'.

Good luck with the little one. I enjoyed her take on how the trains should run. My daughter has similar ideas :)

• Like 1

Thanks.. I don't have your eye for it, but I hope to start getting close with this kind of thing. Really lifts the whole layout, some of my stock make it look very 'train set'.

Good luck with the little one. I enjoyed her take on how the trains should run. My daughter has similar ideas :)

Just realised I forgot to mention powders as well, I use the Humbrol ones.....

Replacement GWR shirt button motif now looks better and has sorted the funny sheen that showed up in pictures giving a glossy blob look.

Still not sure what happened, my guess is without thinking I had picked the loco up and ended up touching them whilst they were still damp!!!

1025.jpg.028fe6eafadb597056e334b0c01a8210.jpg

I must say I do prefer them to the G W R that it replaced.

Now to sort out how to added the bulk timber extension that was added to the shorter frames on the first batch of these loco's. I want to keep the rivet detail, my original plan was to carefully cut this area out with the rivet detail out and move it forward but then I discovered the frame was cast metal - !!! idea shelved.....

I have some rivet transfers that I will experiment with on a plastic infill piece.. 

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I'm not fussed on the shirtbutton, although it's fine on shirtbuttons.  It probably looked very modern when it was introduced, but Robin is right; they are too small on locos and almost disappear if the loco is dirty.  I am equally ambivalent about the G W R or G crest W, though for some reason rather like it in conjunction with wartime austerity black.  I model the late 40s/early 50s changeover period, so am able to avoid shirtbuttons, but I have a large prairie in unlined green G W R, heavily weathered, and a 2721 in austerity black with the small 'Grotesque' sans serif lettering applied 1942-45 by Caerphilly Works.  But I am on the lookout for a suitable prototype for the early 1948 unlined green with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' in GW 'Egyptian Serif' 1920s style, a very attractive livery.

Hi Kevin, I'm still waiting to see the Video of you and Andy Y and also the pics and write up, I must pick up my copy soon.

I, like you, have not seen the finished article in the magazine at the moment, as nothing has been delivered by the postman...........

I believe the video is only with the digital version!

Sent you a PM.

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Gold

Thank you madam.  in addition, there is a photograph in John Lewis' 'Great Western Auto Trailers', page 161, of 1421 at Cowbridge in unlined black with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' in sans serif, later 1948 style.  The photo is undated, but the auto trailer that is it's subject, diagram A7 no.108, is stated to be in 1948 brown and cream livery with 1949 style numbers.  Neither loco nor trailer are in clean ex-works state and I would guess the photo to be late 1949 or 1950.  

I intend to include this variant of livery on 9681, when I can source a Bachmann 8750; this loco was delivered new to Tondu shed in May 1949 in what I assume to be this livery, but may be wrong if it came out with the unicycling lion introduced that month; if so it would have been the first 8750 to do so from new.  Until I can be certain, Rule 1 will apply. If it proves to have been outshopped with a unicycling lion, I will repaint it as 9674, new to Tondu in March 1948 with what must have been unlined black Egyptian Serif BRITISH RAILWAYS, partly solving my earlier problem, and replace it with 1421, a Llantrisant engine which can be borrowed by Tondu under the authority of Rule 1.  

9681 is of course still in existence at the DFR, and it may be worth my while contacting them to see if they have any definitive information, such as having uncovered lettering or insignia during a repaint...

The large prairie is to be renumbered as 4145, delivered new to Tondu in, presumably, unlined green G W R livery in 1946.  The 2721, 2761, is in fact my only proper Tondu loco for the time being until my re-numberplating program gets under way, and I have cheated with small G W R coach lettering from a sheet of HMRS transfers for now; these are not the correct 'Grotesque' lettering and I need to find out more about the actual colour, dimensions, and spacing of this, though I have a photo to work from for the dimensions and spacing.  Under a good coat of weathering, 2761 looks the part and I can live with her for now.

I am scratching around a bit for an example of wartime black with Egyptian Serif G W R from Tondu.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Egyptian Serif" is not a font/typeface, it's a style of typeface (more commonly know as slab serif) where the serif is a block rather than angular or rounded.

Which is why I described it as lettering.  I am actually not 100% on what a font is in terms of defining it, and a typeface is something I associate with printing, whereas we are discussing painting of lettering on the side of a locomotive here.

I have cheated with small G W R coach lettering from a sheet of HMRS transfers for now; these are not the correct 'Grotesque' lettering and I need to find out more about the actual colour, dimensions, and spacing of this, though I have a photo to work from for the dimensions and spacing.

The spacing of G W R in 'Grotesque' was the same as it was in Egyptian. There's an example, plus a link to Didcot's 6697 in that style, in http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1942.html

Just had my copy of BRM.

LM looks tremendous, Kevin. Excellent article.

Rob.

Many thanks.

My copy arrived today and I must say I thought the format and presentation within the magazine was excellent.

Though I had a draft copy a while ago you can't beat looking at it 'for real'.

Andy Y's pictures looked particularly good especially when considering how large they had been blown up to! 

• Like 3

Andy Y's pictures looked particularly good especially when considering how large they had been blown up to! 

The photos (in British Railways Modelling magazine October 2017) make an excellent impression.  To my eyes they are better than the computer screen.  The magazine stays where you put it, you can see the entire double-page without making any mouse movements or clicking a keyboard, and concentrate on those fine photos with no pop-up distractions.  And you see the track plan without having to search back through hundreds of posts.

A round of applause for Little Muddle!

Edited by Podhunter

• RMweb Gold

Spotted in the local estate agents window....

attachicon.gifHOUSE FOR SALE.jpg

Least it's close to the local railway services?

That's a luxury penthouse compared to some of the fixers you see going for silly money in the West Wales holiday cottage belt.  As Meibion Glyndwr used to say, come home to a real fire, buy a cottage in Wales...