Little Muddle

KNP

Just poking my oar into the conversation about the smoke pictures I have to say of any of them the very first picture is about the best...just a bit of smoke and you can see through it to the background, perhaps add some of the wisps of steam around the boiler and wheels from the later pics. I have to say that I find any smoke added to pictures of model railways unconvincing when I've seen them in the magazines, being honest a bit gimmicky (being brutally honest, much like sound is gimmicky...there's a bit of controversy!!!) 

You also have to consider that if your layout is supposed to be set in those high days and holidays of summer you won't get much steam at all out of a locomotive. Perhaps the odd little puff ball but you will get an greater amount of heat haze from the chimney. But in winter yes you will get big clouds of white steam as the hot air condenses but it usually looks rather soft and fluffy with no look of substance.

I'd stick to just the standard pics of the models without the steam as they are perfect as they are.

I agree Andy but I have to say that fake smoke on model photos just doesn't work for me, so personally I would prefer to see 'minimal smoke' become ' no smoke'.

Andy Y did a heat haze over my Prairie that was sat in the Platform at Trebudoc, and that worked well.

post-9335-0-61792900-1504251581_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

I tend to agree that the minimal, heat haze effect, is best as some of my earlier efforts didn't always work as well as I would have liked.

At the end of the day these are steam trains so do need something coming out of the stack if they are working......unless of course they are 'asleep' then nothing is best!

Even diesels have a haze or in some instances dirty exhaust fumes going skywards.

I suspect I will carry on mixing and matching - some with, some without..as the mood takes etc. etc.

It is quicker without and as you could imagine, the last set of pictures took quite a while to do and then I scrapped most of them as being.........well wrong!

One thing I forgot to mention is also you have to take into account how hard the real loco with it's train is going to be working. One 0-4-2 tank with a single auto trailer is not likely to be too strained getting the train going. Where as a Prairie with 4-6 coaches is likely to work hard so the exhaust will have a lot more solidity to it where you have the dark grey/black areas that are steam, smoke & soot and the areas that are mostly steam and white in shade. You then have to taken into account that exhaust is likely to be very tall as it's forced out of the chimney. I'll have to dig out the photos I have of a preserved loco leaving Loughborough GCR some years back working really hard and the height and shades of the exhaust.

• RMweb Gold

Please keep experimenting, KNP. When you get the smoke and steam looking right it will enhance the images. (And you definitely have the skills and persistence to do it!)

You might find some inspiration here: http://e-gmedia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/remembering-titfield.html (found by searching for "gwr 14xx in steam" in Google Images).

PhilM

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin,

When I add smoke and steam I try to make it as transparent as possible. Also, I do think that sometimes it can be more effective on a greyscale image than it is on a colour image.

See here:

post-17302-0-40454100-1504260476_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-28476000-1504260477_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 13

Apologies Kevin, I mis-read the post and didn't realise that the layout was yours when I posted the smoke pictures, anyway, once again, a cracking layout!

Phil

Not a problem, thought that is what happened.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

After what I said, I'm glad you've modified the signal.  That's better, until you get them working.

My layout, Cwmdimbath, features a massive array of 4, yes, 4, signals.  I operate them by hand, pushing the boards up and down with my fingers.  Basic, but it works...

Shunting discs are yet to be installed, one of many outstanding jobs that make the layout less outstanding in the other sense.  Point rodding likewise.  

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

Remake of an earlier picture 

attachicon.gif999.jpg

Though not quite in the same position as before but hopefully the difference can be clearly seen!!!

I think some more weeds have grown beside that tempting well worn path around the potatoes. Oh, and the signal is just right.

• Like 1

Well as it seems to be Pannier day on some of the other sites I follow, so I thought I better follow suit.

Here is the tree view promised for Alan taken from the footpath that runs along the side of the stream.

Just noticed the Colonel is still fishing, hope I didn't disturb him setting up this gear!

1000.jpg.0628895a85bf2ba474d5d27b010b5a0a.jpg

Then I found another ideal photo opportunity site part way down the lane and looking up at the trains (this viewpoint will be used again....)

1002.jpg.ef51d6333875fd5bce69e01031a93b46.jpg

The only thing that jars with me is that I couldn't get the brickwork to line up on the pier, if I did the rest of the viaduct below was out.

Was never an issue before until I got this camera that can get up close and personal.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Well as it seems to be Pannier day on some of the other sites I follow, so I thought I better follow suit.

Here is the tree view promised for Alan taken from the footpath that runs along the side of the stream.

Just noticed the Colonel is still fishing, hope I didn't disturb him setting up this gear!

attachicon.gif1000.jpg

Then I found another ideal photo opportunity site part way down the lane and looking up at the trains (this viewpoint will be used again....)

attachicon.gif1002.jpg

The only thing that jars with me is that I couldn't get the brickwork to line up on the pier, if I did the rest of the viaduct below was out.

Was never an issue before until I got this camera that can get up close and personal.

I prefer a green pannier though! The low level photo looking up at the passing train is so atmospheric. I'm tempted to say it puts your photography on a different level.

I prefer a green pannier though! The low level photo looking up at the passing train is so atmospheric. I'm tempted to say it puts your photography on a different level.

Thanks

When I set the camera up and angled it upwards by standing one edge of the base on a pencil rubber I immediately felt I had found an unusual angle to take a picture.

Then when seeing it running through the editing suite, I had a feeling I had struck gold as everything looked and felt right.

I think one reason it works is that it is from an angle we would look at a real loco from......the only thing that jars is that brickwork but I like phil.c suggestion so expect to see something in that vein - soon.

One plant that loves growing in brickwork at that height is a buddleia......for example

post-8925-0-18210900-1504463967.jpg

post-8925-0-42839000-1504464243.png

post-8925-0-11996300-1504464344.jpg

But I will have to be careful as during this time period there was still a tenancy for good maintenance but..........over the stream - difficult to get at......hmmmm

• Like 4

My last Pannier picture of the day before researching how to build a buddleia.!

1003.jpg.ed4b776189ca6d8e271337a52bf0e5de.jpg

Camera set up the field amongst the sheep and surprisingly those sleepy little blighters didn't even move or blink on eyelid to my presence?

I could have pulled the wool over their eyes and they wouldn't have noticed....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 18