Little Muddle

KNP

So I thought what would they look like so here are the last two edited as b/w pictures.

1008a.jpg.d468c74a6d8c60b309369c9f5c2116b0.jpg

1009a.jpg.226d874fefbe1f3200bf2028dff2ba77.jpg

Must take a few in b/w to see if there is a difference between the camera and the editing suite.

They don't look like what I can remember of b/w pictures as they are not sharp enough?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

On 06/09/2017 at 14:24, Bogie said:

At the risk of starting WWIII I do not think the edited b/w photos are as realistic as the colour ones.

Just my opinion though.

I have a tendency to agree with you as I have literally just taken these two.

This one is using the post focus settings (using macro) with the camera set on monochrome.

1012.jpg.35bb305db56fdad3f8023ca2c9afe916.jpg

This one is on standard focus directed at the loco and again on the monochrome setting

1013.JPG.43226ba3ef0d111d15d1ba05f2075073.JPG

The crispness of the black and white is much better than the Affinity b/w edit, I might play around with monochrome a bit more.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Looking a your small prairie with the shirtbutton livery and very nice it is, I can't believe all mine are wearing GREAT   WESTERN on the tanks

I think at least 2 will be wearing the shirt button motif's by the end of today those 2 have HMRS transfers on them so it will be easy to remove the

lettering and maybe the rest of them by the end of the week.  :boast:  

Edit 4550 did not have exterior steam pipes they are easy to remove. 

Edited by 81C
  • Like 1

Looking a your small prairie with the shirtbutton livery and very nice it is, I can't believe all mine are wearing GREAT   WESTERN on the tanks

I think at least 2 will be wearing the shirt button motif's by the end of today those 2 have HMRS transfers on them so it will be easy to remove the

Thanks

I have just changed it to the shirt button motif (finished a few hours ago) from the original G W R after I discovered that this lettering was first used 1942ish. 

So over the last couple of days I have been working on the Pannier with re-numbering and then the above one so they at least, superficially, appear correct for 1935/36 time period.

I had quite a battle to the letters off but after using T Cut on them they came off reasonably well because first, I had to get through a layer of Dullcote, then a grime paint wash and then another coat of Dullcote before getting to the transfer.....

Now what are these exterior steam pipes you are on about?

Just checking in case I remove the wrong ones......!!!!

Then I have the buddleia to sort out on the viaduct.....still

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

He means the pipes between the smokebox and the top of the cylinders; on some engines they run inside the frames and directly upwards into the smokebox, and this is a feature of the original design.  Outside steam pipes are retrofits, and swapped around between locos at boiler changes; it's the same sort of nightmare as top feeds on panniers or 48xx.

He means the pipes between the smokebox and the top of the cylinders; on some engines they run inside the frames and directly upwards into the smokebox, and this is a feature of the original design.  Outside steam pipes are retrofits, and swapped around between locos at boiler changes; it's the same sort of nightmare as top feeds on panniers or 48xx.

I assume it's these that need removing both sides?

post-8925-0-44573700-1504719305_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The cab portholes need covering too Kev as the 45xxs differed to the 55xx's here.The steam pipes come out when you remove the chassis.

Someone once said that if you are "that sort" of modeller, find a photo of the actual loco you want to model and work from there. In this case however, why not just change the plates over to match a loco that has the right sort of pipes, windows and rivets.

Love this layout, keep up the great work, some stunning photos.

• RMweb Gold

Someone once said that if you are "that sort" of modeller, find a photo of the actual loco you want to model and work from there. In this case however, why not just change the plates over to match a loco that has the right sort of pipes, windows and rivets.

Love this layout, keep up the great work, some stunning photos.

Yes, much simpler to change the number!

However, out of interest I went looking for a photo and found this: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt318.htm

PhilM

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Its already been re-plated :)

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps by introducing a small bit of "noise" onto the photo might give that 1930's look. I tend to do it when I convert a colour photo to B&W.

As if by magic...

post-7355-0-11683000-1504722797_thumb.jpg

post-7355-0-60782300-1504722801_thumb.jpg

Put through my orthochromatic filter (not a straight B/W conversion) and with added noise.

• Like 13

The cab portholes need covering too Kev as the 45xxs differed to the 55xx's here.The steam pipes come out when you remove the chassis.

Thanks

I certainly remove them, not sure about the portholes though I will look into that as I don't want to spoil the model....

I'm certainly having some fun with these trains and it all seemed to start with those brass cab plates........

I have just added new brass ones from Modelmasters plus I have just removed some similar new ones on the Pannier and renumbered that one.

The buffer beams would need doing but I do have a set of Fox transfers so I have plenty so that's not a problem - just fiddly.

I think I'll mess around with the loco......I could always edit out the windows in any photos or make sure they don't appear in the view.......!!!!!! :nono:

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Gold

Riddles BR standard 2MT 2-6-0, 78xxx, a development of the Ivatt with detail differences, fundamentally the same loco though, with mostly interchangeable parts.  The cab is angled inwards above the waist line (you can see this very clearly in the taper of the spectacle plate windows), there is no gap in the running plate between the main level and the front buffer beam plate, so there is an angled step, and the dome and chimney are different.  The tender is angled inwards at the top as well.  There was a standard version of the Ivatt 2MT tank as well on similar lines, the 84xxx.  

Location looks like Machynlleth.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium

Not a steam expert, but looked just like Machynlleth to me too, so needed to be a BR standard 2-6-0.

Paul.

Go to post #13 on the linked thread (by Alan Buttler) and it tells you that it is Machynlleth!

• Like 1

Just a quiet day with the occasional action at the station.

1011.jpg.af716ce3b6666f7ae106026de66377b9.jpg

Prairie now on work bench, steam pipes removed - portholes I might just paint and see what they look like, if not they will be filled with shaped plasticard.

Looked at altering under the bunker with the timber infill where the frame was extended - then realised this is cast!!!! so no easy trimming with a knife then?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Prairie now on work bench, steam pipes removed - portholes I might just paint and see what they look like, if not they will be filled with shaped plasticard.

Have you got a paper punch as the discarded circles might be the right diameter. ;)