Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

I should not have worked on the railway either, as I am upset by the lack of a lamp on the auto trailer.

I think what Mike is bothered by is that the signal in the background is 'off', showing clear, before the auto has cleared inside the bay starter signal, but in fact there is no problem as the auto is coming off the branch and the signal that is off does not read to the branch, so no conflicting movement is signalled.  The single slip in the 'swinging into the bay' shot is wrongly set, though; it should be protecting the auto from any movement onto the branch, but is set for the branch.

Unless Mike has spotted something I've missed, in which case take no notice of me...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think what Mike is bothered by is that the signal in the background is 'off', showing clear, before the auto has cleared inside the bay starter signal, but in fact there is no problem as the auto is coming off the branch and the signal that is off does not read to the branch, so no conflicting movement is signalled.  

The right hand signal is "Off" for the Branch.

Phew.....I thought I had built a wrong signal or something.

All my signals are non-working so there will always be conflicting situations.

One day, when I run out of things to do on the layout itself, I plan to replace them all with working ones but for now please excuse the errors.

As for the lamps, yes I know I have to get some.......then I bet I'll be told they are in the wrong position!!!!!

Thinking out aloud I have realised I have two that came with the Hatton's loco so I could at least rectify that issue.

Now where did I put that loco box with the bag of bits in?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I see.  I'd read that as a bit of a droop; I certainly wouldn't have taken it as an 'off' without checking with the signalman first.  It would be showing a red light at night, but needs a bit of attention from S & T.  I imagine the auto crew have complained about it as well as the signalman but nothing's been done yet.

Job for the boys on double time when the branch is closed on Sunday?

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I see.  I'd read that as a bit of a droop; I certainly wouldn't have taken it as an 'off' without checking with the signalman first. 

Wrong Signal. The one I refer to is the Right Hand Junction Signal which is "Off" which I understand as being the "Main to Branch" Signal.

There we go gents, I found an aerial picture that I took awhile ago looking down the main line which clearly shows the signals.

987.jpg.4033c0947dfe4b911fcfada0ca0668b2.jpg

Never posted it as I noticed that the coaches weren't in line as one of them wasn't on the track correctly.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Wrong Signal. The one I refer to is the Right Hand Junction Signal which is "Off" which I understand as being the "Main to Branch" Signal.

You are right, Pannier, I had missed the main line doll and board in the foliage.  That is a wrong and conflicting move; the signal should be interlocked so as not to be capable of being pulled off until the auto has cleared in behind it's starter, since the signals are marked as being track circuited.  The mistake is repeated on the latest photo showing it cleared for a conflicting movement on the opposite running line as well, though the road is set correctly.  

Just shows it always pays to read the signal twice before you open the throttle...

There we go gents, I found an aerial picture that I took awhile ago looking down the main line which clearly shows the signals.

attachicon.gif987.jpg

Never posted it as I noticed that the coaches weren't in line as one of them wasn't on the track correctly.

Nice one Kevin,

any chance you could do a couple more distance shots to show the overall plan, e.g along the straight middle stretch, it's hard to gauge the overall setup when viewed only from front on,

I'm also interested to know the dimensions, it must be a reasonable size for a 4th bedroom!

Colin

Nice one Kevin,

any chance you could do a couple more distance shots to show the overall plan, e.g along the straight middle stretch, it's hard to gauge the overall setup when viewed only from front on,

I'm also interested to know the dimensions, it must be a reasonable size for a 4th bedroom!

Colin

Thank you, I must retake that picture sometime with the carriage on the track and in line.....it's funny what you don't notice in the view finder at the time of taking the picture.

Hopefully, if all things are equal the layout will be in this coming months BRM (Oct) along with a trackplan - which even I haven't seen yet!

No, its only a small room of approx. 2.4m (8ft) square that I have packed a lot into.

By being careful with the way I take the pictures I can make it look and feel much bigger.

To give some idea of size the picture above represents almost the entire length of that particular board, the camera lens was resting on top of the backscene so you've lost about 300mm below it but the previous few pictures of the auto train, the area feels much bigger because of the angle/way I have taken the picture.

When I did the panoramic pictures a few months ago that was the entire width of the bottom part of the 'U' shape of the layout.

In a way, I suppose, it's using the advantages of the narrowness of the camera's lens view to make the result feel much larger so trick the eye into thinking it is looking at something much bigger.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3

Thank you, I must retake that picture sometime with the carriage on the track and in line.....it's funny what you don't notice in the view finder at the time of taking the picture.

Hopefully, if all things are equal the layout will be in this coming months BRM (Oct) along with a trackplan - which even I haven't seen yet!

No, its only a small room of approx. 2.4m (8ft) square that I have packed a lot into.

By being careful with the way I take the pictures I can make it look and feel much bigger.

To give some idea of size the picture above represents almost the entire length of that particular board, the camera lens was resting on top of the backscene so you've lost about 300mm below it but the previous few pictures of the auto train, the area feels much bigger because of the angle/way I have taken the picture.

When I did the panoramic pictures a few months ago that was the entire width of the bottom part of the 'U' shape of the layout.

In a way, I suppose, it's using the advantages of the narrowness of the camera's lens view to make the result feel much larger so trick the eye into thinking it is looking at something much larger.

Morning Kevin, I've just realised that you don't actually have a Fiddle Yard do you?

Edited by Andrew P

Morning Kevin, I've just realised that you don't actually have a Fiddle Yard do you?

Morning.

Errrr...... no because it would have taken up room that I could better use for scenery.

Sort of nicely highlights where my priority lies.....!!!

If did have one that it would have ended up with scenery on so would have looked more like a set of exchange sidings......

Just been watching videos.....very nice

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You can look at that picture ( and all the others) and there is not one leaf out of place, not one weed too many or too few, the whole balance of vegetation and man-made additions in perfect, natural harmony.

Really, really stunning work.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm only about a third of the way through reading the whole thread so far, but right from the start it was obvious what a stunning layout this is. Looking forward to the next 20 odd pages!

• RMweb Gold

You are right, Pannier, I had missed the main line doll and board in the foliage.  That is a wrong and conflicting move; the signal should be interlocked so as not to be capable of being pulled off until the auto has cleared in behind it's starter, since the signals are marked as being track circuited.  The mistake is repeated on the latest photo showing it cleared for a conflicting movement on the opposite running line as well, though the road is set correctly.  

Just shows it always pays to read the signal twice before you open the throttle...

Well not exactly as the diamond on the post indicates that the line in rear of the signal is track circuited although as both signals read through facing points part of the line (through the facing points) might well also be track circuited.

And yes 'Pannier Tank ' precisely identified the cause of my professional (?? :jester: ) concern.

Point positions is another area where modellers can get things wrong and spoil the impression for a nastily rotten critical professional eye.  The connections to/from the branch involve 4  point ends and in real life they would be worked by only two levers - in effect as crossovers (which is what they almost are).  thus the facing point (for an arriving branch train) in the branch and the trailing connection in the Main Line would be worked by one lever while the facing connection in the Main Line and the other end of the single slip (in the connection to/ from the branch line) would be worked by the other lever.  This arrangement will ensure a limited amount of flank protection but far more importantly can simplify the interlocking between the points and signals because one of teh point levers releases the other in the lever frame interlocking. 

Edit to correct typo

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

I just want to say, without implying any criticism of Stationmaster Mike or Pannier Tank, that I feel really churlish and petty complaining about signalling or pointwork inaccuracies, never mind livery anomalies, on what is one of. the best rendered layouts in terms of buildings, scenery, and lighting that I have ever seen.  Take no notice of us, KNP, or at any rate don't be too bothered by us, we don't get out much...

I just want to say, without implying any criticism of Stationmaster Mike or Pannier Tank, that I feel really churlish and petty complaining about signalling or pointwork inaccuracies, never mind livery anomalies, on what is one of. the best rendered layouts in terms of buildings, scenery, and lighting that I have ever seen.  Take no notice of us, KNP, or at any rate don't be too bothered by us, we don't get out much...

Don't worry I have broad shoulders and in many instances will act upon the comments made.

Loco liveries is the one I plan to sort next.

Prairie side tank to have letters removed and either monogram or Great Western added.

Pannier will follow your suggestion and just renumber - 8750+ (comical this as I have only just added some brass ones after Rob (ANTB) suggestion that the supplied transfers looked flat and lifeless) and leave the pipework.

No comments (to date!!!) on the 48xx so she will stay as is!!!

Point rodding and signals will stay for now as there was an awful lot of effort went into their build...the only plan I have - one day - is to build some working signals to replace the static ones but before I do I promise I will check with you guys beforehand...!

So don't worry to much and please keep the comments coming as I actually find them interesting and useful.

Thank you for the comments about the layout, much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

I see the Colonel's wife is out and about early today.

attachicon.gif997.jpg

Hope she has better luck than the Colonel as to my knowledge he still hasn't caught anything!

Splendid view of the Colonels wife. A lovely scene.

You can look at that picture ( and all the others) and there is not one leaf out of place, not one weed too many or too few, the whole balance of vegetation and man-made additions in perfect, natural harmony.

Really, really stunning work.

Totally agree.

This layout is truly insprational. Colouring is all important and everything blends in so very well. If I can achieve a similar look with my layouts, then I will be very happy indeed.

Rob.

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Great photos Kevin. The layout looks brilliant.

I think the colonels wife was in the same place last time I saw her, glad she doesn't make any conflicting movements. Mind you, I bet some of the cows do.

Keep up the great modelling.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE LOCO KIND

Premise

Early one morning when the mist had receded, a strange sound was heard across the land.

There, lumbering towards each other where two iron beasts snorting steam and groaning whilst travelling along an iron road.

Frighten faces pushed against the dirty glass from their temporary places of confinement looking for signs of freedom.

Is this the start on an alien invasion?

Frightening ehh........

Well not really 

Just the 8.01 from Exeter arriving at Encombe Town whilst the auto train trundles in from Little Muddle at the same time.

Not sure why but she seems a little late as the auto train is generally waiting at the bay platform for the link.

attachicon.gif992 - smoke1.jpg

Anyway it makes for an useful picture.

To big a Breakfast me recons. :no:

Lovely shot all the same mate.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE LOCO KIND

Premise

Early one morning when the mist had receded, a strange sound was heard across the land.

There, lumbering towards each other where two iron beasts snorting steam and groaning whilst travelling along an iron road.

Frighten faces pushed against the dirty glass from their temporary places of confinement looking for signs of freedom.

Is this the start on an alien invasion?

Frightening ehh........

Well not really 

Just the 8.01 from Exeter arriving at Encombe Town whilst the auto train trundles in from Little Muddle at the same time.

Not sure why but she seems a little late as the auto train is generally waiting at the bay platform for the link.

attachicon.gif992 - smoke1.jpg

Anyway it makes for an useful picture.

Hi Kevin, please go back to posting pictures of Little Muddle and not the real thing.