DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

I have to say with locomotives getting more and more expensive, the ability to pay for a crowd funder in stages is an attractive prospect. Perhaps your not be able to lay out £130 in one go. Something like the king will let you pay in stages with time to save in between :)

After a bumper week I can let you all know that as the adverts hit the magazines etc, the crowdfunding total has leapt to just under 50% funded.

Thank you to all who have put your name down for one, and with a few weeks left we have a darn good chance of making this happen.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

Dave,

Forgive me if these points have been raised before but:

1. Which method of attaching the number plates to the cab sides do you intend to employ and

2 Will the loco body be easily detachable from the chassis ?

Thanks.

Colin

After a bumper week I can let you all know that as the adverts hit the magazines etc, the crowdfunding total has leapt to just under 50% funded.

That is exciting news. I will keep my fingers crossed and give this another push wherever I can.  :good:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of 11.31am on Saturday 10th June the Crowdfunding has increased to 65% (no pie charts)

the rest should be easy huh? Nah, but at least its past that psychological 50% barrier by a reasonable margin.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Would buying extra models to flog on eBay be a morally grey area?  :whistle:

Not really as you'd be doing it for altruistic reasons. If you did it with those reasons in mind I'd pray you wouldn't make a loss.

• Like 2

Would buying extra models to flog on eBay be a morally grey area? :whistle:

I've ordered one to try and help the western guys out. Once these hit the shops I'll sell it to someone who missed out at the same price. It's a case of getting them produced in the first place. Who knows... Further down the line maybe a king arthur or something will go to crowd funding and a western guy will return the favour ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nothing morally grey about it, anybody can join the crowdfunding, nobody needs a model and you are quite free to not buy on Ebay. I can never quite see why some get so upset about buying extra models to sell. I can see more of an argument if people buy multiples of a genuine limited edition but even then it's a free market and I don't see it as being morally wrong.

• RMweb Premium

Would buying extra models to flog on eBay be a morally grey area?  :whistle:

It's not morally grey at all, its fine, but remember to break even you will need to sell the model for £158 (eBay fees and Paypal fees without any offers will eat up the rest of the money). This figure is based on a £5 postage cost charged to the buyer. 

edit - in the case of a sale at £158 + £5 for postage you will actually be 46p up.

Edited by Kris
  • Like 1

Dave,

Forgive me if these points have been raised before but:

1. Which method of attaching the number plates to the cab sides do you intend to employ and

2 Will the loco body be easily detachable from the chassis ?

Thanks.

Colin

Dave,

???

Dave,

???

Sorry, been away for almost 18 days and missed this.

To answer your questions to both........

No idea mate!

The cad needs shrinking first and that also takes money. I'd rather wait until we've hopefully reached target point first before thinking about all the minutiae. Either way I'm going to pee someone off no matter which way I go with those 2. Lol

Sorry, been away for almost 18 days and missed this.

To answer your questions to both........

No idea mate!

The cad needs shrinking first and that also takes money. I'd rather wait until we've hopefully reached target point first before thinking about all the minutiae. Either way I'm going to pee someone off no matter which way I go with those 2. Lol

Dave, 

In view of the huge controversy these points caused in relation to the Hattons 14xx I am surprised you refer to them as "minutiae".

In view of that controversy can you not at least confirm that you will NOT be employing the same methods for this projected model?

Colin

Dave, 

In view of the huge controversy these points caused in relation to the Hattons 14xx I am surprised you refer to them as "minutiae".

In view of that controversy can you not at least confirm that you will NOT be employing the same methods for this projected model?

Colin

Hi,

I'm not saying I won't, but hard evidence with the Hall, manor, 28xx in N would suggest than in N gauge its less of a problem as many many thousands of those locomotives have been sold with minimal negative feedback.

Indeed, you could also argue it's been very successful in OO gauge on the 14xx too.

I'm not discounting people's opinions here, merely recounting that there is a vocal amount of modellers that don't like this feature in OO that have to be balanced against the many many many thousands of modellers who are perfectly happy with their models in both gauges that have it.

But like I say, it's early days, but if every crowdfunder for the king told me that they didnt want it, I would, of course, listen to them and action accordingly.

Cheers

Dave

Moulded cab plates = harder to change

Seperate cab plates = more likely to fall off and be lost

On balance I just about prefer moulded in. I have a couple of 28xx which are identical. If the number plates were separate I would have renumbered one of them as they are moulded I haven't. Then again I rarely get close enough to be able to read the number anyway so if they were different numbers I wouldn't notice.

I have to admit I have always been perfectly satisfied with the recessed nameplates on the Dapol GWR steamers.

Is the issue that it is harder to get replacement numberplates to fit when renumbering?

I would imagine that recessed number plates in an N gauge model is overall fairly moot.

What will matter in certain peoples eyes, is the second question, which is the ability to strip the loco down to its basic parts which was seen as a pain point in some peoples eyes on the 14xx thread (though the class 71 is easy to take apart).

I guess we are coming into the final countdown now. If you haven't already expressed an interest, please do so now and let's get this project over the line. Here is a reminder of how good these beasts looked in service. Wouldn't you just love one on your N Gauge layout? ;)

8420856326_ed9b608c13_b.jpg

• Like 11

Hi everyone,

The King Crowdfunding is going quite nicely at the moment, with more orders coming in every day, and the total is currently about 700 models.

However, it seems that even with this burst of orders, we will not be successful by the close date.

This leaves me 2 options, walk away and do it in a couple or more years when i have the monies, or pursue this with a view to getting the 1000+ models needed , funded.

I'd rather not walk away and i'm very cognoscent of trying to get an EP at Warley, i'm going keep the date open for orders until the end of July, as the advertising seems to be working and bringing in sign ups.

I'll be advertising the King at Perth next weekend to see if we can get some more enthusiasts to sign.

This should just about give us enough time for the revised cad/cam and 1st EP launch at Warley 

I'll listen to any comments you may have either way one this, but i really do think we can do it!

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

The King Crowdfunding is going quite nicely at the moment, with more orders coming in every day, and the total is currently about 700 models.

However, it seems that even with this burst of orders, we will not be successful by the close date.

This leaves me 2 options, walk away and do it in a couple or more years when i have the monies, or pursue this with a view to getting the 1000+ models needed , funded.

I'd rather not walk away and i'm very cognoscent of trying to get an EP at Warley, i'm going keep the date open for orders until the end of July, as the advertising seems to be working and bringing in sign ups.

I'll be advertising the King at Perth next weekend to see if we can get some more enthusiasts to sign.

This should just about give us enough time for the revised cad/cam and 1st EP launch at Warley 

I'll listen to any comments you may have either way one this, but i really do think we can do it!

cheers

Dave

I'd just carry on for now. If sales are stil coming in it should become obvious just how long it is going to take to reach the target.

If it doesn't quite make it for Warley well never mind. Not worth stressing over that.

Chris

• Like 1