Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

"London Bridge is down": secret plan for when the Queen dies

DavidB-AU

A perfect example of why I do not buy that paper.

Come on folks, cheer up, the sun is out, the birds are singing, more new models are being introduced than ever before and we are definitely not in decline under our beloved leader.*

Bernard

* I leave it up to you to add the appropriate name.

My goodness... that is a sombre piece of music.

From the Guardian article...

Every station, down to hospital radio, has prepared music lists made up of “Mood 2” (sad) or “Mood 1” (saddest) songs to reach for in times of sudden mourning. “If you ever hear Haunted Dancehall (Nursery Remix) by Sabres of Paradise on daytime Radio 1, turn the TV on, something terrible has just happened.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozuFCYJQ4os

Good for you, but it still makes for interesting reading nonetheless. Thanks to the OP for the link.

• RMweb Gold

I see that the plan for the Queen Mother's death was called "Tay Bridge". The plan for the Duke of Edinburgh is "Forth Bridge" - if anything happens to Charles, is the plan called "Saltash bridge"?

• RMweb Gold

I see that the plan for the Queen Mother's death was called "Tay Bridge". The plan for the Duke of Edinburgh is "Forth Bridge" - if anything happens to Charles, is the plan called "Saltash bridge"?

Second Severn Crossing?.....

• RMweb Gold

My goodness... that is a sombre piece of music.

From the Guardian article...

Every station, down to hospital radio, has prepared music lists made up of “Mood 2” (sad) or “Mood 1” (saddest) songs to reach for in times of sudden mourning. “If you ever hear Haunted Dancehall (Nursery Remix) by Sabres of Paradise on daytime Radio 1, turn the TV on, something terrible has just happened.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozuFCYJQ4os

Next time I'm bored might start ringing radio stations to request it to try and cause national panic!

• RMweb Premium

Come on folks, cheer up, the sun is out, the birds are singing, more new models are being introduced than ever before and we are definitely not in decline under our beloved leader.*

Bernard

* I leave it up to you to add the appropriate name.

Nevertheless, there would be SOME plans in hand for when this event comes (which obviously it must). Like the vast majority of people, I'm in no hurry.

Never realised that sort of thing was possible.

Mike.

I once worked for a boss who had been awarded a CBE but was desperate for a knighthood. He volunteered for an arduous charitable job that was very close to royalty. At the end of several years hard, unpaid graft he was rewarded with an LVO - exactly the same rank as his CBE.

At least the English tradition is only to mention one of the honorifics - so a double-knighted guy would still be just "Sir Bob". But I work with a German academic who is always referred to as "Professor Dr Dr Schmidt". *

Paul

* Names and some details changed to protect the pompous. :)

My wife is Thai and a staunch royalist. (she also holds UK citizenship and has sworn allegiance to our Queen).

For quite a few years the King of Thailand was ill, and indeed died last October. He was nationally revered and  It was a deep shock to all Thais, even though they knew the inevitable would happen one day, almost a taboo subject to discuss.

There was a great outpouring of grief & respect over in Thailand. It still goes on to a lesser degree. The new King (his son) has not yet been crowned nor the deceased King cremated, such things take a long time over there. Time has passed and most Thais have "got over it". Life has returned to nearly normal for most.

Such things happen. May our Queen last a good few more years.

Brit15

At least the English tradition is only to mention one of the honorifics - so a double-knighted guy would still be just "Sir Bob". But I work with a German academic who is always referred to as "Professor Dr Dr Schmidt". *

I know one chap who works in Germany although of UK origin who at times asks people to use his double Dr title. As he is Jewish I can see the funny side of it.

My sister  can also use those initials but normally does not bother with even one.

Bernard

I know one chap who works in Germany although of UK origin who at times asks people to use his double Dr title. As he is Jewish I can see the funny side of it.....

When I get my Doctorate it won't be an honorific, I'll have earned it after nearly a decade of graft.  And I'm bloody well going to use it!

Will this lead to a new generation of "Doktor Doktor" jokes?

Archived