The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And The Next Photo Will Have

NorthBrit

A model of the Raurimu Spiral (NZ), in a local tourist centre.

8301019641_6b2dc16b71_c.jpg

Alas it wasn't working when I visited, though though this is a nice video (not mine) of a train going up the spiral.

how about something in a suburban setting??

• Like 1

The last remaining part of the 457 class unit 457001 (the other part that did exist was bought by SWT and added to a 456 unit to replace a accident damaged car).

It currently resides at the ERM, Coventry, but with that museum set to close soon, I'm not sure where it might end up.

Originally built as part of a prototype DEMU set 210001 to replace the Diesel Mechanical DMUs, it proved too expensive for BR and the plan was panned, the unit (there was also 210002 which had GEC rather than Brush equipment) was stored, before being pulled out of store to be used in the 457 programmme. The 457 being used to test AC traction motors on both 3rd rail and 25kV OHLE lines in place of DC motors (it ran with a 313 power car as 316999 when testing 25kV), prior to the introduction of the new Networker units (465/466) and later 365 units. All new electric units now use AC traction motors, meaning dual voltage is much easier (hence 350 units running on OHLE and 3rd rail).

post-11572-0-44539300-1507304310_thumb.jpg

Next, a prototype of an unusual unit or loco.

A bit on the large side to call a model I think  :no:

I missed that bit again, posted in the wrong thread! oops.

However I have been planning a model of the unit using Bratchell parts and other etched/3d printed parts (the 455 has the right body/roof profile, but wrong windows/cab).