The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

Crystal Palace station would be fine, but I'd say that Selhurst Depot is a throw-in too far - unless there is a struggle to find something more appropriate (which I would find surprising).

Incidentally, is it a given on this thread that the requestor always has a picture that satisfies their criteria?

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Crystal Palace station would be fine, but I'd say that Selhurst Depot is a throw-in too far - unless there is a struggle to find something more appropriate (which I would find surprising).

Incidentally, is it a given on this thread that the requestor always has a picture that satisfies their criteria?

I thought that you were after a nice Ally Pally exhibition shot. I can do you the Stirling Single at AP way back, but let's see what else pops up. I seem to bag too many slots.

I generally suggest something I have on file and once had to fill the gap as no-one else seemed to have anything appropriate. I don't think it's a requirement though. Given the range of interests here, most requests seem to get a response that is more or less relevant!

• Like 2

When I have requested the next photo I hope I have tried to leave the subject fairly broad to give a range of possibilities,

it is interesting to see what comes next and how the request has been interpreted.

Amongst the RMweb members there is obviously a wide range of ages and interests and already some unusual shots have been posted,

and Iook forward to plenty more,

cheers 

When I have requested the next photo I hope I have tried to leave the subject fairly broad to give a range of possibilities,

it is interesting to see what comes next and how the request has been interpreted.

Amongst the RMweb members there is obviously a wide range of ages and interests and already some unusual shots have been posted,

and Iook forward to plenty more,

cheers 

Exactly.  I can usually think of several photos that meet my own requests, but enjoying getting a response that meets the criteria but isn't what I was expecting.

I'm a little surprised that the present one is still hanging.  There are a few stations that contain the word "palace" in their name, or imply a palace (Crystal, Alexandra, Hampton Caught - need I Carry On?) as well as some lost treasures (e.g. Palace Gates).  Casting more widely, there are Gares du Palais in Liege and Quebec, India has its luxury "Palace on Wheels" train and not forgetting locomotives that have carried "palace" names (e.g. two class 91s named "Holyrood" and "Palace of Holyroodhouse").

Hope this helps!

(Edit: Already overtaken by events - thanks, Phil, a very interesting shot).

Edited by EddieB

• RMweb Gold

Exactly.  I can usually think of several photos that meet my own requests, but enjoying getting a response that meets the criteria but isn't what I was expecting.

I'm a little surprised that the present one is still hanging.  There are a few stations that contain the word "palace" in their name, or imply a palace (Crystal, Alexandra, Hampton Caught - need I Carry On?) as well as some lost treasures (e.g. Palace Gates).  Casting more widely, there are Gares du Palais in Liege and Quebec, India has its luxury "Palace on Wheels" train and not forgetting locomotives that have carried "palace" names (e.g. two class 91s named "Holyrood" and "Palace of Holyroodhouse").

Hope this helps!

(Edit: Already overtaken by events - thanks, Phil, a very interesting shot).

Windsor Castle - Sandringham - Balmoral - Hampton Court are all Royal residences and loco names

Dad had family friends in north London, having been born in Wood Green, so a trip to Ally Pally could kill two birds with one stone - so to speak. I think he was studying at Oxford at the time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No need for me to answer as you have already done.  On some of the questions

---   think outside the box.

Next question, a steam train at St Pancras.

A train of thought at St.Pancras!

OK - it's outside the British Library - perhaps if he thinks very hard steam comes out of his ears! Or perhaps he is designing a steam engine http://www.thaitechnics.com/engine/tg7/newton_steamwagon.jpg

post-14351-0-28101200-1490990247_thumb.jpg

Ooops I forgot to set the next challenge, but it has been done for me and the thread moves on!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

A train of thought at St.Pancras!

OK - it's outside the British Library - perhaps if he thinks very hard steam comes out of his ears! Or perhaps he is designing a steam engine http://www.thaitechnics.com/engine/tg7/newton_steamwagon.jpg

attachicon.gifnewton eduardo paolozzi la1.jpg

And actually the site of the former St.Pancras Goods?

Stewart

For what it's worth, I remember passing St Pancras on a bus one evening and failing to investigate why it was brightly illuminated.  Turns out it was for filming "101 Dalmatians" with Flying Scotsman providing the locomotive interest.  (Not sure if the station would have been open to the public anyway).  That's about the nearest I came to a real steam train under that great roof..

On the other hand, the 45/0 series did have steam heating.  By far the 45/1 series "Peaks" with ETH predominated, but here's a shot of 45070 on a parcels train (remember those?) in May 1986.  Probably it had lost its steam boiler by then anyway, but that's the best I can do.

post-10122-0-47791200-1490991385_thumb.jpg

If it counts, then perhaps we need a wildcard to reset the thread?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ok - plenty of passengers enjoying the comforts of this MK1 rake forming a Cardiff-Crewe working behind a boiler fitted 25/2 heading north at Onnibury

post-7138-0-96841100-1490997377.jpg

IIRC this was the same day as the picture of 1023 at Crewe back up the thread....she happened along shortly afterwards

So for the next picture - an unfitted freight with steel carrying wagons in it please

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

Here's a diesel passenger train at Paddington  -  1967.

post-11812-0-12682200-1490997781_thumb.jpg

Next one  -  a steam-hauled freight.

Ooops, sorry, beaten to it.  Please ignore (but I'll leave the picture on here in case anyone's interested!).

Edited by devonseasider
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

post-7024-0-62263800-1491007367_thumb.jpg

Should this be named after a flour mill?

If this is acceptable (even though it includes me at a young age), then could we please have something from Northern Ireland?

• Like 2

80class t'other End Derry waterside

NIR 8099 "Sir Myles Humphries" taken by my good self at Derry/Londonderry Waterside Station on what turned out to be my first and last 80 Class trip.  Great day out doing Dublin to Belfast Central - Belfast GVS to Derry and back.

To be fair, perhaps we should now have something from the Republic of Ireland.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 3

Inside Dunford West SB, early 1981..

attachicon.gifsig040.jpg

As long as that counts, the next picture will have..

Some extreme clag please. Steam or diesel, either will do!

JF

Lovely picture Jon.  I hope you had permission to take it.  LOL

The picture is fine.   Anything railway related is okay and answers the question.

Lovely picture Jon.  I hope you had permission to take it.  LOL

The picture is fine.   Anything railway related is okay and answers the question.

Well it was just one signalman visiting another, and he didn't have much on that day (about 3 trains each way!)

JF

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As you didn't say a current or earlier signal, so have an earlier one. This is one of the others found with Wigmore Castle emerging from Box Tunnel #164 above. Now in the A.H.Malan collection at Kew.

post-14351-0-40449100-1491063219_thumb.jpg

How about a modern pw train in action?

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2