eBay.de item requires shipping to UK/ seller won't post to UK

Dudley

Good evening,

I hope this is a good place to ask. I've seen a new Rivarossi ex-USA S100 on eBay.de that I'd like to buy but the seller specifies 'will not post to UK' (- I don't understand why this should s be so.)

Can anyone suggest a way that I could obtain this item please? I don't know of anyone living in Germany or Europe mainland that I could ask. 

Many thanks in anticipation,

Dudley

• RMweb Gold

And he can't change the shipping options once there are bids without cancelling the auction altogether, been there and although he was happy to change it was too late. I'm afraid your only option is a contact in Germany once there are bids.

If there are no bids yet you could try politely asking if he would change the listing.

I've had this before, with a South African stamp dealer who wouldn't post to the UK as so much was going missing in the post. I also had a plague of similar items going missing, envelopes opened and contents removed within the UK. In short there are a few bad eggs that will mis-deliver something not traceable and thought to be valuable.

• RMweb Gold

He's a dealer selling new stock hence I don't understand why he won't send to UK. It's 'Buy It Now', there's no bidding involved.

Dudley

Try asking he may respond to a polite request Edited by PaulRhB

would it be possible for you to organise a courier or shipping agent to ship it on your behalf

I've had similar thoughts but then if he won't ship to UK will my payment go through glitch free? 

I always ask politely; no reason to do anything else. I even translated into German so that he wouldn't have to.

Where about in Germany is he?  We have German visitors every week from various parts of the country.

• RMweb Gold

I always ask politely; no reason to do anything else. I even translated into German so that he wouldn't have to.

;) All I meant was something like " I've been looking for this for ages  . . . . . " rather than just please can you consider it ;)

I had this situation ordering something from the US. I used a forwarding company and it worked very well. I just did a quick internet search and found this company: https://www.mailboxde.com I have no idea how reliable they are, or anything else, I just found them on Google, but on the face of it they would seem to offer a solution to your problem. 

Sadly this is a world wide phenomenon; why some are reluctant to ship to a foreign country.  There are those here in the USA who won't ship to Canada even, let alone the UK or Europe.  Presumably they can't be bothered with the extra effort of tacking a customs form on the parcel.  I have a similar problem with those in the UK who won't post over here no doubt for the same reason..

Brian.

brianusa, on 06 Apr 2017 - 23:10, said:

Presumably they can't be bothered with the extra effort of tacking a customs form on the parcel. 

That. I'd rather post it through the door of the nearest charity shop than faff about with that.

I've gone off the idea of shipping ebay stuff outside of the UK, but I'm a little miffed at the suggestions that sellers "just can't be bothered". Far from it. I always try to "go the extra mile" (pardon the pun). There is usually little extra effort required if any. Recently, I've shipped items to Spain on three consecutive occasions using Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed, usually costing about a tenner. The item is posted and a receipt with tracking number obtained. I put this tracking number into ebay as well as messaging it to the buyer. All good. After about a day, the tracking shows that the item has departed the UK (usually Heathrow). It then completely disappears off the radar for up to three weeks, which I consider totally unacceptable. Tracking the item on the Royal Mail website displays a message saying use the destination country's website to track. Correos (Spain) have an English language version, so hassle-free you'd think. The item exists on their system but simply seems to sit there (at quite often completely the wrong end of the country - Spain's a big place) for up to 18 days or so without delivery, forwarding or collection.

In the meantime, the buyer is quite rightly asking me where the item is as I quoted approx. 5 days. As the days go by, he or she is probably beginning to think I'm scamming him somehow and is probably considering asking ebay/PayPal to step in. All hassle I can well do without. So basically, yes I could always be bothered to send outside of the UK, now it's just not worth it for me. I do have better things to do with my time than virtually chase packages around the internet. Moan all you like about the UK and Royal Mail, Yodel, Hermes etc etc, but I find posting something within the UK to be reliable, not so posting abroad.

As has been mentioned, I don't have to post abroad, so now I choose not to. If you still think that's wrong of me, tough really... sorry!

Edited by Pete 75C

I'm guessing it's something like this: http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/produkt/Rivarossi/11-4-003001-240706-0-0-0-4-3-2-0-gatt-gb-p-0/ein_produkt.html

Use this store you even get loyalty points, I have used them for Faller kits before and they were brilliant. No connection, I've only been to Germany once, just a happy customer.

If it isn't there a shops on the continent that will ship it too you. Or look on eBay.co.uk and it lists sellers that will ship to the UK.

• RMweb Premium

He's a dealer selling new stock hence I don't understand why he won't send to UK. It's 'Buy It Now', there's no bidding involved.

Dudley

Conversely... why should he ship it to you? It costs more, more hassle, insurance etc etc.

• RMweb Gold

I've gone off the idea of shipping ebay stuff outside of the UK, but I'm a little miffed at the suggestions that sellers "just can't be bothered". Far from it. I always try to "go the extra mile" (pardon the pun). There is usually little extra effort required if any. Recently, I've shipped items to Spain on three consecutive occasions using Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed, usually costing about a tenner. The item is posted and a receipt with tracking number obtained. I put this tracking number into ebay as well as messaging it to the buyer. All good. After about a day, the tracking shows that the item has departed the UK (usually Heathrow). It then completely disappears off the radar for up to three weeks, which I consider totally unacceptable. Tracking the item on the Royal Mail website displays a message saying use the destination country's website to track. Correos (Spain) have an English language version, so hassle-free you'd think. The item exists on their system but simply seems to sit there (at quite often completely the wrong end of the country - Spain's a big place) for up to 18 days or so without delivery, forwarding or collection.

In the meantime, the buyer is quite rightly asking me where the item is as I quoted approx. 5 days. As the days go by, he or she is probably beginning to think I'm scamming him somehow and is probably considering asking ebay/PayPal to step in. All hassle I can well do without. So basically, yes I could always be bothered to send outside of the UK, now it's just not worth it for me. I do have better things to do with my time than virtually chase packages around the internet. Moan all you like about the UK and Royal Mail, Yodel, Hermes etc etc, but I find posting something within the UK to be reliable, not so posting abroad.

As has been mentioned, I don't have to post abroad, so now I choose not to. If you still think that's wrong of me, tough really... sorry!

AAahhh, Correos.

If anyone in GB thinks Royal Mail is bad, try the Spanish version, as Pete says, stuff disappears into a black hole somewhere in deepest darkest Spain and can sit there for no apparent reason for ages.

As for costs, I'm currently in the process of sending a half kilogram small package to England, for which Correos want the princely sum of 105 euros, cheaper to fly over and hand deliver it.

Mike.

• Like 1

Good evening,

I hope this is a good place to ask. I've seen a new Rivarossi ex-USA S100 on eBay.de that I'd like to buy but the seller specifies 'will not post to UK' (- I don't understand why this should s be so.)

Can anyone suggest a way that I could obtain this item please? I don't know of anyone living in Germany or Europe mainland that I could ask.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Dudley

Had the same issue with someone in Belgium, no amount of pleading would work....

In the reverse had an enquiry from Auz about a wagon I was selling, when I looked at the postage it was going to be more than the wagon was worth so, I revised the postal costs so I wasn't out of pocket and the buyer then stopped all contact with me!!

• RMweb Gold

I've gone off the idea of shipping ebay stuff outside of the UK, but I'm a little miffed at the suggestions that sellers "just can't be bothered". Far from it. I always try to "go the extra mile" (pardon the pun).

<Snip>

I used to do exactly as Pete but have recently been using the Ebay Global Shipping Program, Easy enough with no problems (so far). I've sold 11 items this year to Hong Kong, France, Italy, Germany & Belgium I'm not actually sure what would happen if there was an issue with the item and a return was asked for,  as although I stipulate "No returns" Ebay ignore that and freeze your PP payment, ( I know they're meant to be seperate but the payment was frozen 2 hours before the email from ebay).

Maybe the OP could ask the trader in Germany to list an item in that way?

Sadly this is a world wide phenomenon; why some are reluctant to ship to a foreign country.  There are those here in the USA who won't ship to Canada even, let alone the UK or Europe.  Presumably they can't be bothered with the extra effort of tacking a customs form on the parcel.  I have a similar problem with those in the UK who won't post over here no doubt for the same reason..

Brian.

There's some in the UK that won't ship to Scotland. I have seen sellers in Lancashire who will happily send goods all the way to Cornwall yet won't send them up the M6 to places north of Carlisle.

• RMweb Premium

You have my sympathies with this and if I wwere still in Germany, I would have been happy to help, but unfortunately I am not.

I can tell you that living in  France there are a whole host of UK sellers that won't sell outside of the little island.

I am told that the reason for not selling outside the immediate country is due to the high return costs that can be incurred by the seller if there is some defect on arrival.  (Look at the costs of sending 500gm shipment insured and tracked from the UK to Germany and you will see what I mean.)

It's luck of the draw... I recently got an Engarth off Austrian ebay, some will post abroad some won't... Chances are he's had one or two bad experiences and decided enough was enough... Have patience and try other dealers... There will always be one along eventually!

Yeah. Had this too. Some U.K. Sellers / small suppliers don't want to sell to somewhere foreign too.

Usually, if I really want the thing I'd "ask the seller a question". Some reply favorably, some say "sorry", some won't have the decency to respond at all. Would you want to do business with such folks?

That's life.

Then move on, there will be other opportunities.